đź’¬ OT The New Remote Control Car/Truck/Boat/Plane Megathread

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
I was inspired by 1quick 1quick to also pick up an RC boat so I figured I'd start a new thread and show my truck too. Let's see your RC toys too!

Snap-On Edition M41 Widebody RTR. Came with the charger and 2 - 3S. The guy had it sitting on the shelf since he bought it and never ran it. I probably should have checked the dimensions of it first, but it's friggin YUGE.

Traxxas "Skully" AKA a 2WD Stampede. Standard NiMH batteries and 12T. I put on some beefier green bits, but mostly stock. Fun basher, I'll be giving that to the kids when I upgrade to Maxx hopefully this summer.

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9610.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9614.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I was inspired by 1quick 1quick to also pick up an RC boat so I figured I'd start a new thread and show my truck too. Let's see your RC toys too!

Snap-On Edition M41 Widebody RTR. Came with the charger and 2 - 3S. The guy had it sitting on the shelf since he bought it and never ran it. I probably should have checked the dimensions of it first, but it's friggin YUGE.

Traxxas "Skully" AKA a 2WD Stampede. Standard NiMH batteries and 12T. I put on some beefier green bits, but mostly stock. Fun basher, I'll be giving that to the kids when I upgrade to Maxx hopefully this summer.

View attachment 103354

View attachment 103355

View attachment 103356

View attachment 103357

View attachment 103358

View attachment 103359

View attachment 103360
Awesome, Pick up some extra props I’ve been through 2 props and only ran the boat like 5 times there only 4 bucks though

Reactions: Five-0

Five-0

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Awesome, Pick up some extra props I’ve been through 2 props and only ran the boat like 5 times there only 4 bucks though

I was debating throwing a metal prop on, but plastic is probably the better choice at $4 each to save from breaking other stuff. I will likely put on the adjustable trim tabs on it and that's about it for now. I move into the new house in the next few months, so I probably won't get this out onto the water until the spring unfortunately.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I was debating throwing a metal prop on, but plastic is probably the better choice at $4 each to save from breaking other stuff. I will likely put on the adjustable trim tabs on it and that's about it for now. I move into the new house in the next few months, so I probably won't get this out onto the water until the spring unfortunately.
I got the blue adjustable trim tabs for mine, I had them about adjusted but then broke the prop so didn’t have a chance to finish

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I've had numerous Rustlers/Stampedes over the years, including a VXL with 3S LiPo, and I've never seen something like that happen. Did it actually start melting the transmission case?
Yeah, it was smoking a bit when he was using it and I just told him to give it a break the motor was probably hot and had some debris on it, I went to use it today and it wouldn’t move, it melted the gear and the case I’m guessing something was wrong with the clutch and it got super hot

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah if that slipper clutch somehow loosened up, I can see that generating a bunch of heat. Either that or the bearing on that shaft started siezing up and overheated. As soon as that plastic melts like that and that input shaft has axial play, the gears in the trans will no longer mesh properly and eat themselves alive.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Yeah if that slipper clutch somehow loosened up, I can see that generating a bunch of heat. Either that or the bearing on that shaft started siezing up and overheated. As soon as that plastic melts like that and that input shaft has axial play, the gears in the trans will no longer mesh properly and eat themselves alive.
They make an all metal HD version of this trans now and the local hobby shop has one so I’m probably going that route since he’s just going to best the hell out of this thing lol, I actually blew one of the tires off the rim on the rustler today messing around in the snow, is there better glue or a secret technique to getting them to stay on better

Reactions: b00sted

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Stampede down, I don’t know if this is a factory defect or if something got into the clutch area but it smoked the diffential/clutch/gear, going to have to get a new transmission after the first day of use

View attachment 108313

View attachment 108314

Weird my stampede has been a champ for years. Only thing that has broke is a pinion gear. Even with going to Lipo 3 cell I thought fore-sure everything else in the drivetrain would break.

Reactions: 1quick

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
They make an all metal HD version of this trans now and the local hobby shop has one so I’m probably going that route since he’s just going to best the hell out of this thing lol, I actually blew one of the tires off the rim on the rustler today messing around in the snow, is there better glue or a secret technique to getting them to stay on better

Nah just good CA glue. Clean the tire and wheel really well, then mount the tire, peel it back from the rim a bit, and drop in a drop or two of CA. Doing it that way will let it wick its way between the bead of the tire and wheel really well. Use the thinner(water consistency) CA glue.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Weird my stampede has been a champ for years. Only thing that has broke is a pinion gear. Even with going to Lipo 3 cell I thought fore-sure everything else in the drivetrain would break.
This was on a 3s batterie I should have spent the extra money to get the 4wd version the thing just wants to flip over backwards non stop, I wheelie backfliped and rolled into the neighbors mailbox as soon as putting the 3s battery in it lol the 4wd rustler is a bad ass though super fast and a lot more stable

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
As shit as Tamiya is from a quality standpoint, they make some pretty cool looking cars. I still can't believe they sell cars with cheap pot metal Phillips screws, and friction shocks.

I had a Tamiya F201 chassis and from a design standpoint it was a marvel of packaging. AWD in a F1 package that looked scale. Fitted it with a Novak brushless setup and damn it moved. This was back just before LiPo took over the market so it was running on 7.2v sub-c cells.

I used to go t the RC Expo every year at McCormack place. Saw some really cool shit. Use to love the Losi, and Team Associated booths most of all. Those were the real cars back in the day that the pros were using.

Reactions: torquelover

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Yeah Tamiya and their plastic they use is fragile for sure. However the quality control and tolerances were spot on, and kits were never missing parts.

I remember pulling weeds and mowing lawns like a madman as a kid to buy myself an Associated RC10 and then a Yokomo YZ10. Those cars both NIB had missing parts, and almost everything needed love to go together. I believe I spent two weekends filing and polishing the RC10s gears as an example.

Built some Losi’s for friends, too. Those were much better kits.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah Tamiya and their plastic they use is fragile for sure. However the quality control and tolerances were spot on, and kits were never missing parts.

I remember pulling weeds and mowing lawns like a madman as a kid to buy myself an Associated RC10 and then a Yokomo YZ10. Those cars both NIB had missing parts, and almost everything needed love to go together. I believe I spent two weekends filing and polishing the RC10s gears as an example.

Built some Losi’s for friends, too. Those were much better kits.
Yeah, currently my fleet consists of "OFNA" which is really HoBao and Hong Nor cars.

Got the Hyper One Seven 1/7th scale on-road car that's based on Hobao Hyper 1/8th buggy stuff. And my Truggy is a HongNor CRT-Pro converted to electric.

I really need to pickup some new batteries so I can play with them again. All of my batteries are shit. My Losi Mini-8ght is so much fun and cheap to run.

I remember when the first 1/8th Buggies started to hit the market, the OFNA Pirate was one of the first.

Reactions: torquelover

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
This was on a 3s batterie I should have spent the extra money to get the 4wd version the thing just wants to flip over backwards non stop, I wheelie backfliped and rolled into the neighbors mailbox as soon as putting the 3s battery in it lol the 4wd rustler is a bad ass though super fast and a lot more stable

IMG_9114.png

I clocked mine at 45 mph with a draggy strapped in and still had some mph left in it. I ran out of real estate and I have to start off at half throttle since all she does is pop wheelies and slowly get to full throttle.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
View attachment 108322

I clocked mine at 45 mph with a draggy strapped in and still had some mph left in it. I ran out of real estate and I have to start off at half throttle since all she does is pop wheelies and slowly get to full throttle.
I have the gears for the rustler that claim 65+mph on 3s batteries but I’d definitely destroy it going that fast

Thread Info