🧑‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Sounds like keeping them awake during the day is the ticket to sleeping at night. Wife and I are doing shift work at night trying to let the other person sleep at night. This damn kid cries 5 minuets after putting her in the crib like clock work

There’s a few ways of sleep training them but honestly she’s a newborn, it’s just how it is. After a few months she’ll start getting in to a routine easier as long as you keep on it.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
There’s a few ways of sleep training them but honestly she’s a newborn, it’s just how it is. After a few months she’ll start getting in to a routine easier as long as you keep on it.
Have you ever used the cry it out method? I just feel like we come running the second she makes a cry and it’s not good for anyone. Baby will never learn to sleep by herself and we’re running on fumes to stay awake.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Have you ever used the cry it out method? I just feel like we come running the second she makes a cry and it’s not good for anyone. Baby will never learn to sleep by herself and we’re running on fumes to stay awake.
With our current baby (he’s now 7m) we did the pick up put down method. Our doctor told us to try the one where you let them cry for 5 then pick them up then next day 10 etc etc. that didn’t work. We still gave/give him a few minutes to settle himself which he usually figures out but sometimes need to just pick him up to settle him.

And yes as Andy said a sound machine makes a big difference for everyone. All those tiny noises that wake you go away and you still hear the important stuff.

We use a Hatch brand one and my daughter still uses it now for bed and wake up cues.

Reactions: smug and SleeperLS

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I think it is recommended to wait until 3 months until the cry it out deal is used. I felt the same way and it was said to me to wait until 3 months minimum.

I feel like we are lucky as shit that my wife was a newborn baby nurse. My knowledge base isn’t anywhere close to where it needs to be to take care of a newborn alone. As with anything though, advice sometimes only gets you so close and the kid just need their own thing that has to be found out with trial and error it seems.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
smug smug do you guys have a sound machine/white noise thing? My wife was saying it has to be at a certain db to soothe them. It is evidently a similar static noise to the womb. It has helped us a fair bit. I will find out what db
Nope. Wife was looking into that but I don’t think she bought one yet.

Reactions: SleeperLS

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
The white noise machine is nice. We have that in the kids rooms, and one in ours that makes noise that sounds like a fan. We sleep trained our first at 6 months. Pretty much just made sure he was well fed and then let him soothe himself. He didn’t cry that long really. It was still sad but not excessive. He would get up once in the night for a feeding for a while, then one day he just started sleeping 11 hours through.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
For my first, I curated a list of Rock A Bye Baby songs and shuffled them on an Echo dot. I still have the playlist on my Amazon Music account.

I tried it for our 2nd kid, but Alexa would randomly think we were trying to give commands. It'd be the middle of the night and I'd hear Alexa talking over the baby monitor. I'm sure the unit just needs to be replaced.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

She will, eventually. Sleep training won't stick until they're older, like 4-6 months is when we started. Until then, it's just dealing with it and giving the baby what she needs to sleep.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Our 3yo is currently getting out of bed in the middle of the night and coming into our room...every night. It's become so routine, we put a sleeping pad with blankets on the floor so he can just lay down and go to sleep. I'm sure that's partly enabling the behavior, but we're getting tired of trying to put him back in his own bed at 2am.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Our 3yo is currently getting out of bed in the middle of the night and coming into our room...every night. It's become so routine, we put a sleeping pad with blankets on the floor so he can just lay down and go to sleep. I'm sure that's partly enabling the behavior, but we're getting tired of trying to put him back in his own bed at 2am.
No No No GIF

Reactions: wombat

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I don’t know when to be concerned or not….. my kid just turned 3 in October. While I have seen HUGE strides in mental and emotional capacity and huge strides in dexterity and hand/eye coordination I just feel like she isn’t physically growing. She has been exactly 30 pounds for over a year and doesn’t seem to be growing in height. My wife swears it’s normal but I always hear stories about how kids grow like weeds but I’m just not seeing it. I really want to get to the stage where we can switch from a full car seat to just one of those smaller booster/convertibles. But that’s not until at least 40 lbs. maybe I’m just nuts but I don’t know- she just doesn’t seem to be growing physically as fast as everybody makes a big deal with toddlers

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Shit dude... it never ends. My 7 year old does it, my 3 year old does it, hell my 2 year old is the only one who sleeps through the night.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Speaking of kids, does anyone else feel like kids dont appreciate anything anymore? I feel like my 7 year old daughter just expects fun things, for example i joined lifetime over the weekend as a place to work out and bring the kids for the pool... I took her and her sister swimming last night and she said she didn't have any fun in the pool and was bored...

I am like WTF, why are you acting like this..

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Speaking of kids, does anyone else feel like kids dont appreciate anything anymore? I feel like my 7 year old daughter just expects fun things, for example i joined lifetime over the weekend as a place to work out and bring the kids for the pool... I took her and her sister swimming last night and she said she didn't have any fun in the pool and was bored...

I am like WTF, why are you acting like this..
Technology provides constant source of entertainment. We didn’t have that shit growing up. You had some toys or get your ass outside. Learning to be bored is a good skill

Thread Info