đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
What’s weird is our first kid slept in a crib in our room and was such a shitty sleeper in there that we eventually put him in his own crib in his room around 5ish months because nothing else was working. He took awhile to sleep train and would get up in the night for a bottle for months.

This little guy has been in our bed since almost day one permanently hooked up to the tit. He now sleeps 12-13 hours without getting up at all. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to this shit. Getting to eat dinner with my wife alone for the first time in 6 months has been nice though.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Our youngest has been giving us a hard time with sleeping in his room. He's 3 and can easily sleep the whole night, but it's been taking almost an hour of staying in the room with him to make sure he's sleeping. If not, he'll just get up and come into our room. I just want to put him in bed, and then leave. It's so frustrating because it interferes with our night time bedroom activities. I have a very small window between putting the little one down and my wife falling alseep.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Night time activities have been difficult because my wife has been insisting on sleeping in the other bedroom that is closer to the baby’s room. Now all three bedrooms are close together so it doesn’t make any damn sense to me. It’s definitely not a situation that bedrooms are on opposite ends of the house or a different level

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I’ve got a 4 year old, 2 year old, and a 70lb pit bull in my bed. At this point the kids will be sleeping in our bed till their teenagers.

I also had to squeeze one out in cup years ago for testing purposes but didn’t think I could do it in a hospital room setting. So I had the wife “assist” me in the parking lot…lol

dude you're not entirely joking.

i've heard of this happening to people... where the parents don't even sleep in the same bed any more because one sleeps with one kid in one room and another sleeps with one kid in another room.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
dude you're not entirely joking.

i've heard of this happening to people... where the parents don't even sleep in the same bed any more because one sleeps with one kid in one room and another sleeps with one kid in another room.
We’re working on it. The four year old starts off the night in his own bed now but he always wakes up and he’s scared so he comes running to our room and spends the rest of the night in our bed. At some point there is going to be a day of reckoning with our sleep situation…lol

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: DanJ and Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We’re working on it. The four year old starts off the night in his own bed now but he always wakes up and he’s scared so he comes running to our room and spends the rest of the night in our bed. At some point there is going to be a day of reckoning with our sleep situation…lol

godspeed sir.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Our 5 y.o. Still wakes up in the middle of the night but we were adamant that when she does, she calls for us. Always walked her back to her room when she came in. But we bought the same mattress model for her room that’s in our room, just a smaller size, knowing we would probably end up there. She’s actually gone the past two nights from 8:30-6 ?

Our 2 y.o. is a jerk to get to sleep, but once she’s down she out for the whole night. We still rock her to sleep and transfer to the crib. That’s getting old because she’s so big and barely fits on us anymore.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So what you guys are saying is… just because they’re sleeping by themselves now… chances are they won’t be for long.
Schitts Creek Kiss GIF by CBC

We've been adamant with our first about not sleeping in our bed ever, so much so that if we're on vacation and she doesn't have her own bed/area she's not going to sleep at all.

the other night she woke up at home because she had an accident, i got her changed, and she told me to go back to my bed cuz she was tired.

"ok daddad can you go back to your own bed now im tired"

Alfredo Diaz Sigh GIF by Rooster Teeth

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
oh yeah straight anarchhy

Fucking chaos all the time

Cool. Sounds like everything will be fine. Thanks!

22 month old started daycare Monday. My MIL was watching both of them, but they kick my ass so we felt bad her having them 5 days a week. He seems to like it. He cried when we dropped him off up until today. When I go and pick him up he barely even says what’s up and then I have to chase him down to get his coat on. They have an app where we can check on him via webcam, and they update his feed throughout the day with all his diaper changes, meals, and pictures of activities so that’s nice.

• Haha

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
That’s pretty normal. Even when older it’s tough to get answers out of what their day is like. And it’s frustrating when they’re gone all day and you want to know what their day was like and what they’re doing. We’ve talked to a couple of teachers and classroom aids who said that kids just have a short term memory so it takes a lot for something to stick. But on the other end, my daughter still remembers the craziest shit from years ago, so I guess I can’t put too much stock in that. Even without the pandemic, I think we still would’ve gone from daycare to nanny because of how we like to know what their day was like. We would pick up Zoe from daycare and not have a clue whether she ate enough or slept enough. They tracked everything but it was clear a lot of it was bullshit when we picked her up and she was a mess.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
They’re definitely lying about how much he eats. He comes home and has a snack, then absolutely smashes dinner. I think part of it is he doesn’t usually eat some of the healthier options they’re offering. If they cooked him hotdogs he’d probably do great.

Also at his age he can’t tell us how his day is anyways. This week, after appropriately identifying multiple animal noises for months, he’s decided it’s funny to just answer “meow” for all animals. He says it, gives us this goofy chuckle and smile and runs away.

• Haha

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Also, key to getting more out of Zoe was knowing what their classroom routine is and then asking questions like “what did you do at choice time today?”

"what was fun today at school"
"who did you play with the most"
"who scratched the f out of your face and now i must equalize them"
"what was your favorite thing for lunch"

• YAHOO, MOTHERFUCKER!
Reactions: Chester Copperpot

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
My oldest son never 'remembers' what he did during school, and he's 11. I ask him all the time what he did, and he almost always says he doesn't remember. I'm not sure if he just doesn't like talking about it or what. He's made honor roll the last few times, so I know he's paying attention. I think he just gets on his phone on the car ride home and wants nothing to do with recapping his day.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
One 4yo here...why do kids not have any predictable process whatsoever when they get sick

My kid caught something earlier this week. Started Monday, fever tuesday, by 1pm wednesday the fever was gone. Wednesday night he was a ball of energy like normal. Then last night the fever was still gone but the symptoms came back (cough and runny nose). Today, still no fever, but the symptoms are worse than they were earlier in the week.

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

I'm already preparing for the gnarly cough that'll linger for a month, that i'll have to explain to anyone within earshot.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
One 4yo here...why do kids not have any predictable process whatsoever when they get sick

My kid caught something earlier this week. Started Monday, fever tuesday, by 1pm wednesday the fever was gone. Wednesday night he was a ball of energy like normal. Then last night the fever was still gone but the symptoms came back (cough and runny nose). Today, still no fever, but the symptoms are worse than they were earlier in the week.

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

I'm already preparing for the gnarly cough that'll linger for a month, that i'll have to explain to anyone within earshot.
Tuesday or Wednesday Owen had a high fever (103-104) all day. Wouldn't eat but drank lots of watered down Gatorade and he was very lethargic with a lot of loose, but not runny, poop. Lots of drinks and couch potating later, that night, it's gone. Like it never happened.

Idk how the fuck to explain it.

Thread Info