đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
My wife gives me the “I just have to go rinse off real quick. Can you start dinner?” every once in a while when she gets home. I’m sitting there thinking “Bitch I’ve been sitting in a combination of dried sweat, sawdust, dirt, bug spray, sunblock and God knows what else and you need a fucking shower?!?!” A billy goat smells better than me at the end of the day and I have to wait until 8pm to shit, shower and shave and I’m lucky to get 15 minutes to do all that before I have to hustle the dog outside then get back in to put my son to sleep.

I’ve mastered the ninja dump where I can put my son down without him waking up and the “gladiator shit” where he is in the bathroom with me and I say “On my signal, unleash hell” then I see how hard a punch the toilet can take in the shortest amount of time. I also now have the ability to forget that I have to go to the bathroom, or at least my body just goes into hibernation mode.

I dunno, after watching my kid for a few days while my wife travelled for work, the stale smell of milk-free formula, which smells like cat food, mixed with the stench of a diaper pale and spinach and oats spit-up, I felt like I couldn’t take a long-enough shower. :rofl:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Seems like we try every brand of diaper every type of diaper and 2 different sizes every few weeks and what diaper works depends on if he’s growing up or out at the time. No matter what they all seem to leak from the top. Not sure if it’s us putting it on wrong, them sagging or my son imitating a pressure washer. No joke, this kid pee’d 6 feet up the wall that was 5 feet away while I was changing him one day before I learned the peek-a-boo changing method. Some diapers are garbage, some are great but in the end you figure out what fits their little bodies at the moment and use those. So far Pampers work the best for his giant thighs and baby beer gut.

15215f6b1206f251ecd7ed004a68589f.jpg

Anyone else use a WubbaNub?
These things worked great for us and he still loves them. When he started teething we quickly found out that pacifiers are made of a super bouncy material that can bend space/time and disappear with one bounce and reappear 3 days later in a place they should never have been able to get to. He was also able to nearly unhinge his jaw and get almost any pacifier all the way in his mouth, I learned real quick to find pacifiers that have air holes in the base/lip shield. We got a few WubbaNubs and we’re not lifting couches anymore hoping that the pacifier is under it and no more worry about him choking on a pacifier. Now he’ll pop one in his mouth for a bit when he comes across it and he cuddles with three of them when he’s sleeping.

I’m currently doing my absolute favorite thing in the world and listening to Norah Jones while trying to get my son to sleep on my chest before I put him in his crib. We tried baby lullabies but him hearing those is like giving a toddler an amphetamine injection and he thinks it’s play time. Norah Jones, John Denver, smooth vocal music or classical piano especially Clair De Lune calm him (and me) down and he usually falls asleep quickly. My wife has a great voice and sings to him regularly but when he can’t sleep we “call in the big guns” that means daddy and the “Go To Sleep Cameron” playlist.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
I have a 10 month old boy, which is our first. Funny to see everyone with the same problems. One thing is I feel like no matter where I am I have some white noise going. Baby won’t sleep without it
We have this thing called HatchBaby Rest. It's a night light and noise machine. But what's cool is it is Bluetooth to the phones. So when. One wakes up crying. We grab the phone and turn up the other kids and they don't wake up. Their customer service has been second to none. They also sell a changing table scale for breastfeeding.

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Also the wife insisted on “organic diapers” so we’ve been using Honest diapers this whole time. Expensive but I’ve had less than a handful of blowouts and no pee leaks in 10 months
I get a kick out of the reusable diaper parents. I've never encountered anyone who lasted more than a month with them.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I get a kick out of the reusable diaper parents. I've never encountered anyone who lasted more than a month with them.

We did it for over a year, if you have two working parents good luck with it if you have a stay at home it's fine and very economical. Still used disposables for travel though.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
You realize sleeping doesn’t get better. I haven’t slept well for 17 years. I really look forward to the few weekends during the year when the wife takes the kids to her cabin without me.

I got home from work at 4am yesterday, had to get up at 6:30 to get the kids off to school. Got back to bed at 8:30, slept until 12. Ran errands, got in the shower at 3:30, and left for work at 4:00. Worked 10 hours, just got home. Kind of a typical day. I have three day weekends..so that helps

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Seems like we try every brand of diaper every type of diaper and 2 different sizes every few weeks and what diaper works depends on if he’s growing up or out at the time. No matter what they all seem to leak from the top. Not sure if it’s us putting it on wrong, them sagging or my son imitating a pressure washer. No joke, this kid pee’d 6 feet up the wall that was 5 feet away while I was changing him one day before I learned the peek-a-boo changing method. Some diapers are garbage, some are great but in the end you figure out what fits their little bodies at the moment and use those. So far Pampers work the best for his giant thighs and baby beer gut.

15215f6b1206f251ecd7ed004a68589f.jpg

Anyone else use a WubbaNub?
These things worked great for us and he still loves them. When he started teething we quickly found out that pacifiers are made of a super bouncy material that can bend space/time and disappear with one bounce and reappear 3 days later in a place they should never have been able to get to. He was also able to nearly unhinge his jaw and get almost any pacifier all the way in his mouth, I learned real quick to find pacifiers that have air holes in the base/lip shield. We got a few WubbaNubs and we’re not lifting couches anymore hoping that the pacifier is under it and no more worry about him choking on a pacifier. Now he’ll pop one in his mouth for a bit when he comes across it and he cuddles with three of them when he’s sleeping.

I’m currently doing my absolute favorite thing in the world and listening to Norah Jones while trying to get my son to sleep on my chest before I put him in his crib. We tried baby lullabies but him hearing those is like giving a toddler an amphetamine injection and he thinks it’s play time. Norah Jones, John Denver, smooth vocal music or classical piano especially Clair De Lune calm him (and me) down and he usually falls asleep quickly. My wife has a great voice and sings to him regularly but when he can’t sleep we “call in the big guns” that means daddy and the “Go To Sleep Cameron” playlist.

We’ve had a few Wubs on deck and just started using them. She’s teething mad, and it’s easier for her to find them in her crib at night.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Lil guy turns 2 months tomorrow. So far, IMO, its been a cake walk. Wife stays home all day so I usually get to sleep during the week and I take him early on the weekends so she can sleep in.

The biggest eye opener was how many fucking diapers they go through... Its insanity.

Also having time to yourself drops off dramatically....which kinda sucks :rofl:

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
It’s worth it. My kid just started saying da da with purpose, and I fucking melted.
Just wait, my kid loves those French toast sticks, this morning I make him French toast home made thinking I'm gonna rock his work. "no dada, yogurt." Right in the feels kid. Mind you he's been asking for French toast all morning.
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] just leave it in you already have a sedan, suv and crew cab pick up. Worst case u get a 6 seat utv and a pontoon.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Wubbanubs and hatch baby rest FTW!

We didn't really like the hatch scale because the app sucks hard. It's weird because the hatch baby rest app is fine, but the one you need to use for the scale is complete garbo....plus she wouldn't sit still on the scale anyway so we'd always have the "YOU GOT A WIGGLY BABY" comment, well no shit, she's 3 months old :rofl:

Thread Info