🧑‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Reads like stereo instructions but very informative and really helpful in getting you to understand what’s going on during different stages of development, foods, reactions to foods, illnesses and what to do, behavioral issues.

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, 7th Edition: Birth to Age 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1984817701/?tag=tcg21-20

I’d also recommend a sleep book to help you understand their sleep patterns, sleep problems and tips on how to sleep train your kid.
Get a REALLY comfortable chair in the baby’s room, I spent more time sleeping in a chair in my sons room than I did in my bed when I was sleep training my son. If momma wants to co-sleep with the kid then sleep training is on her, it’s a tough habit to get the kid to break.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’m not generally a wing-it person and I like to read. She’s invested in reading a pile of books, I want to hold up my end of the deal here.

I may have missed it elsewhere, but congratulations are in order? I assume you’re not reading this stuff for the future.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
X1000000 understanding sleep training and food introductions. We really fucked with kid #1's sleeping and are still paying for it. Lessons learned for kid #2, and she's a great sleeper. Though I'll say there's probably a lot to the kid's demeanor that supports how easy/hard it is in addition to best practices and guidance from experts.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
We put our kid in the crib around 4-5 months I think. He cried a bit but slept way better than he was in the bassinet in our room. My wife read up on it, forgot what method we did. He’d wake up once a night for a bottle up until 9 months or so, and now he’ll sleep from around 7pm until 6 or 7 in the morning. It’s pretty nice.

We have baby boy number two coming in September, and I’m sure he will throw us curveballs and be nothing like the first.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
We put our kid in the crib around 4-5 months I think. He cried a bit but slept way better than he was in the bassinet in our room. My wife read up on it, forgot what method we did. He’d wake up once a night for a bottle up until 9 months or so, and now he’ll sleep from around 7pm until 6 or 7 in the morning. It’s pretty nice.

We have baby boy number two coming in September, and I’m sure he will throw us curveballs and be nothing like the first.

Nice! Congrats, Dan. :bigthumb:

Reactions: DanJ

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
X1000000 understanding sleep training and food introductions. We really fucked with kid #1's sleeping and are still paying for it. Lessons learned for kid #2, and she's a great sleeper. Though I'll say there's probably a lot to the kid's demeanor that supports how easy/hard it is in addition to best practices and guidance from experts.
My wife is super on top of this and has our 4 month old sleeping through the night without a bottle in the middle, every kid is different for sure but I am so glad she figured this all out and got us through it. We have been really on top of how much the kid is actually drinking/eating all day. The only times she has woken up was when my parents first started watching her and weren't making sure she drank all 6 oz of her bottle. Both kids going to bed at 8pm and getting up around 7am has been a godsend to my sleep schedule and getting work around the house done.

Just finishing up her room and she will be in her crib soon. Been weaning her off of the snoo and requriing motion/rocking to go to sleep.

Reactions: Bru and Jimy Bilmo

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
We had a basinet "attachment" for Owen's crib so he slept "in" the crib since day 1. Swaddle the baby and they'll sleep as long as you let them. 6/8oz bottle every night before bed. He was a great sleeper and slept, no joke, 7pm to 7am for almost 2 years straight until we got him a toddler bed. Now it fluctuates 1-2 hours either direction both for the best and worst.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
We got lucky I think, I wasn't around for my oldest's infant/baby period but everyone had said she always slept through the night..she's 12 now and still does. She konks out most nights before 9pm and will sleep all through the night. But, now that she gets her monthly Shark Week...that really fucks her sleep schedule up.

Child #2 has slept like a rock for most of her life. She was breastfed the first month, but it wasn't working out so once we switched to formula she was an entirely new baby.

That being said, you'll get in a nice sleep routine and then next thing you know the 8mo or 18mo sleep regression phase will kick you straight in the nard-dawgs.

Also, we never did the "co sleep" bullshit. Fuck that, because almost every family we know who started that is STILL doing it years later and the kid can feed himself...yet still sleeps with mom and dad.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
We got lucky I think, I wasn't around for my oldest's infant/baby period but everyone had said she always slept through the night..she's 12 now and still does. She konks out most nights before 9pm and will sleep all through the night. But, now that she gets her monthly Shark Week...that really fucks her sleep schedule up.

Child #2 has slept like a rock for most of her life. She was breastfed the first month, but it wasn't working out so once we switched to formula she was an entirely new baby.

That being said, you'll get in a nice sleep routine and then next thing you know the 8mo or 18mo sleep regression phase will kick you straight in the nard-dawgs.

Also, we never did the "co sleep" bullshit. Fuck that, because almost every family we know who started that is STILL doing it years later and the kid can feed himself...yet still sleeps with mom and dad.
How was prison?

• Haha
Reactions: DanJ and FESTER665

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Meh. Karens gunna Karen.

My point was, to parents, it's fucking hilarious.
Meh. Other parents get it.
Vhs Kiss GIF by vhspositive

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
My son's favorite word on his 2nd birthday was FUCK. Proud Dad moment, he could not only say it, but he could use it properly in context.

I'll never forget our oldest, she couldn't have been more than 5. She called my wife a dumbass for some reason, while at my in-laws. She said she knew the word because that's what my FIL used to call their dog :rofl:

"You need to apologize to your mom for calling her that!"

"Sorry I called you a dumbass, Mommy."

I had to leave the room :rofl:

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'll never forget our oldest, she couldn't have been more than 5. She called my wife a dumbass for some reason, while at my in-laws. She said she knew the word because that's what my FIL used to call their dog :rofl:

"You need to apologize to your mom for calling her that!"

"Sorry I called you a dumbass, Mommy."

I had to leave the room :rofl:
Yeah, I've been horrible at laughing at the funniest shit he says. Usually involving swear words, or name calling.

However last night, he puts on my camo crocs and says, "hey Dad, look at me, I'm a croc........odile!"

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Thread Info