💬 OT 🧑‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
To everyone raising girls. You are a better man than me. Id be on daily suicide watch and Im lucky to have 2 boys.

My girls ask me every so often why I'm always looking at either Hot Wheels or cars/racing...I tell them because it's my favorite hobby.

I don't tell them that I do it to escape from both of you annoying MFers

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
More girl hair issues.

Posted in the what made you say FUCK thread.

Washing machine gave us error messages all weekend for too much soap, NBD or so I thought.

Went to start a load of my clothes today, got the soap message, our fix was to run a wash cycle with no soap, nope. I get a SC message on the Samsung display. Google it, turns out it's a clogged drain.

Open the drain, let out about 1.5 gallons of soapy water then go to the trap. A FUCKING TWIX BAR wrapper, 2 hair ties and about a cup of hair, though most of it is dog hair, a bunch is their long hair.

Twin A loves TWIX, that's her favorite halloween candy. Most likely a wrapper in her pocket.

I didn't sign up for this.

I certainly don't get paid enough for this either! LOL

• Wow
Reactions: boostedguy05

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
1647873213903.png

I always think of the scenes from Knocked Up....

"Oh no, I didnt read the books.... What ever will I do? How did generations raise kids without the books ?!?!?" :bowrofl:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Anyone have any book recommendations? I need to read up on some dad/baby stuff.

Ordered
The baby owners manual
And
Cribsheet

We liked the “What to expect” series, which lays out the major points of pregnancy progression. It’s also an app.

Also, when it’s time to buy stuff, the Baby Bargains book is solid.

Reactions: DanJ

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Let family buy the expensive shit because they will want to shower you/the baby with it anyway. :rofl:

Go on facebook marketplace and find 40gal bags of clothes for $50 instead of $50 per item at Buy Buy Baby. I think from birth to about a year old, we spent a grand total of maybe $100 on clothes we got second hand. Barely used second hand, at that. Of course, family will buy you all the cute expensive onesies and sets of clothes but hey, not your money. The kid grows so fucking fast, they'll be out of newborn by week 2 (if they ever fit in the first place) and rocking double the size at their age. Owen was a 3mo clothing at birth and he's in 4T at 2.5.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
The only valuable thing I would add is a class on baby CPR/choking. Wife signed us up for a bunch of shit and I reluctantly went. Fast forward to when he was around one. Picked him up from daycare, about a block away he starts choking on a goldfish. I look back and it looked like he'd cough it up. Another few blocks go by and he's really coughing, and then nothing. I'm watching him unable to breathe. I jump the curb, slam on the brakes, end up in a ditch, whip out the door and hop into the backseat, get him out of the car seat, put him over my knee with his solar plexus on my knee, and give him the upward hits into his back between the shoulder blades. And bam, there's the goldfish. Kid immediately stopped crying, hugged me, and I just held him for a few minutes before putting him back into his car seat, where he immediately starts eating his goldfish again ?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Let family buy the expensive shit because they will want to shower you/the baby with it anyway. :rofl:

Go on facebook marketplace and find 40gal bags of clothes for $50 instead of $50 per item at Buy Buy Baby. I think from birth to about a year old, we spent a grand total of maybe $100 on clothes we got second hand. Barely used second hand, at that. Of course, family will buy you all the cute expensive onesies and sets of clothes but hey, not your money. The kid grows so fucking fast, they'll be out of newborn by week 2 (if they ever fit in the first place) and rocking double the size at their age. Owen was a 3mo clothing at birth and he's in 4T at 2.5.

This. And, if there's any thought of another baby down the road...SAVE old clothes. We had bins and bins of old shit and when it came time for our 2nd daughter, I was so happy that we kept everything and didn't need to go out and spend money on clothes they were going to fit into for 6 months.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The only valuable thing I would add is a class on baby CPR/choking. Wife signed us up for a bunch of shit and I reluctantly went. Fast forward to when he was around one. Picked him up from daycare, about a block away he starts choking on a goldfish. I look back and it looked like he'd cough it up. Another few blocks go by and he's really coughing, and then nothing. I'm watching him unable to breathe. I jump the curb, slam on the brakes, end up in a ditch, whip out the door and hop into the backseat, get him out of the car seat, put him over my knee with his solar plexus on my knee, and give him the upward hits into his back between the shoulder blades. And bam, there's the goldfish. Kid immediately stopped crying, hugged me, and I just held him for a few minutes before putting him back into his car seat, where he immediately starts eating his goldfish again ?
for sure on the CPR class. Its one I really want to get and have been thinking about it a lot more lately because my 3yr old loves to just stuff his mouth thinking he can just gulp it all down sometimes.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

Along with what Carter said, look for Rhea Lana's events around your area - basically a giant garage sale / crap sale for kids of all ages. Better than dealing with the FBM/Craigslist fucks but they only happen a few times a year. A lot of our "big ticket" items came from here for our 2nd since we lost some stuff in our house flooding.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Each kid is different. Best part is finding our what works for you.

Feed them
Change them
Make them laugh.

They will cry. ITS OKAY. If you have tried everything, put them in their crib and walk away for 5 minutes. Then go back and try again. Repeat if necessary. Sure it might feel bad, but you also need to keep your mind.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I’m not generally a wing-it person and I like to read. She’s invested in reading a pile of books, I want to hold up my end of the deal here.
Best Dad advice........ be supportive, if she's up in the middle of the night to breastfeed, check on her, see if she needs anything, then go back to sleep. Just be present. You won't learn any crazy tips or tricks reading the books, it's just you try A-Z to figure out what the kid actually needs, then you start at that next time, then work through the list.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
^This. I'm ashamed to say I didn't help out as much as I should have when my wife was on maternity leave and even when I was on paternity leave. We had quite the blow-out on the 2nd kid, and that was 99% my fault. I could have used a warning shot though, I don't always self-trigger on helping as much as I should.

Thread Info