đź’¬ OT đź§‘‍🍼 The new/new-ish dad thread

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Babies are the best at that age. You can just put them down and they don’t go anywhere.

we're past that. a month ago "inch-worm crawling" began, and now it's full all out sprint crawling/rolling/fuckin' baby ninja moves.

set her down and 5 seconds later she could be 15 feet from you. it's mayhem.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
we're past that. a month ago "inch-worm crawling" began, and now it's full all out sprint crawling/rolling/fuckin' baby ninja moves.

set her down and 5 seconds later she could be 15 feet from you. it's mayhem.
It gets so much worse when they figure out how to walk and they can start reaching into stuff. We obviously have locks on our cabinets, but now our daughter can open drawers and reach over the top and pull stuff out. My house is pandemonium right now

Reactions: Chester Copperpot

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It gets so much worse when they figure out how to walk and they can start reaching into stuff. We obviously have locks on our cabinets, but now our daughter can open drawers and reach over the top and pull stuff out. My house is pandemonium right now

any recommendations for locks?

we're moving soon so i needa get on that for new house.

my minion pulls herself up on evvverything now and stnads up so it's just a matter of time.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
We didn’t do any locks other than under the sink where there’s cleaning stuff. When we redid our cabinets we did all drawers so they were a bit difficult for her to open.

now I use it to my advantage, she puts away pots and pans and her dishes :rofl:

But locks would depend on handles (I’m not into drilling holes for something you’ll really only need for a few months or a year)

Reactions: Bub and Yaj Yak

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

my minion pulls herself up on evvverything now and stnads up so it's just a matter of time.
We did magnetic locks on all the lower cabinets. She literally will hang off the knobs and they don’t pop open. they are great

Magnetic Cabinet Locks (12-Pack 2 Keys) Baby Proofing & Child Safety by Skyla Homes - The Safest, Quickest and Easiest Multi-Purpose 3M Adhesive Child Proof Latches, No Screws or Tools Needed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW3XLBE/?tag=tcg21-20

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
We did magnetic locks on all the lower cabinets. She literally will hang off the knobs and they don’t pop open. they are great

Magnetic Cabinet Locks (12-Pack 2 Keys) Baby Proofing & Child Safety by Skyla Homes - The Safest, Quickest and Easiest Multi-Purpose 3M Adhesive Child Proof Latches, No Screws or Tools Needed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AW3XLBE/?tag=tcg21-20
okay that's awesome thank you

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
now I use it to my advantage, she puts away pots and pans and her dishes :rofl:

I agree with this 1000% though. Mila “helps” me empty the dishwasher. She carries one piece of silverware at a time from the dishwasher to the silverware drawer for me. It takes longer but it’s cute and it promotes dexterity and good habits

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Asking her for her help is the best tactic I have to get her to do something. Works nearly 100% of the time.

Asking for help pretty much always works but I think getting help when you don’t ask is way better.

I had an enthusiastic flashlight holder but now he wants to do the actual work, and I mean legitimate work and then he does “play work”. I had to tighten down the handle for our freezer and my son wouldn’t move until I let him tighten down the other Allen screw. “NO with daddy tools!” means not his play toolbox. I went into the garage to put my wrenches away and came back to the kitchen to him fixing the handle again.
IMG_0300.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Out of all the ones we tried, the 3d printed ones were the best and held up the best with the least annoyance.

Next would be magnetic but it gets annoying having a key all the time, especially when cooking. With the printed ones I could just lift and pull, no key. Latch ones worked well for under the sink while screwed in, no issues so far.

We use a mix depending on the door type. Use screws if you want them to stay, all of them failed (except the 3d printed) when using just double sided tape eventually.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The think I like about the magnetic ones I posted is there’s a switch to turn them off. So if the child is contained elsewhere and you are cooking a big meal, going in and out of all the cabinets it’s real convenient to just turn off the latch so you can go in and out without the magnet

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The think I like about the magnetic ones I posted is there’s a switch to turn them off. So if the child is contained elsewhere and you are cooking a big meal, going in and out of all the cabinets it’s real convenient to just turn off the latch so you can go in and out without the magnet

that's fucking neat

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I have an 8-month old who occupies a seemingly disproportionate about of mental space given her diminutive physical size. I wanted a place on TCG to share thoughts/observations/tips mostly as a way to cope with the 90-percent of my day thinking about how to not suck as a parent.

To kick off, I’m so freakin tired all the time. I entered my home garage code into work’s bathroom keypad and was legit surprised when it didn’t open. Gravity feels twice as hard. She goes 3-4 days sleeping through the night, then 2-3 days up multiple times. She cries it out and falls asleep on her own, but then I’m wide eyed at 1 am.

Rockababy playlist on Spotify is a life-saver. An instrumental, lullaby version of Bowie's “The Man Who Sold The World” is much better to have stuck in my head all day than “Itsy bitsy Spider”.

I never thought I’d feel so comfortable being covered in someone else’s poo, pee, snot, spit up. Its not even a flinch anymore when she spazzes out on the changing table and smears poo all over me and the changing table.
I feel this 100% now [emoji17] still worth it

She's happy and attentive, and loves playing with daddy except for when she wakes up in the middle of the night. Then it's a full on war cry. Last night I'd be lucky if I got a full hour at a time.
20210402_184211_01.jpg
received_209770317601548.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Teething sucks so bad. Weirdly the first two weren’t a big deal for my daughter but after that there were sleepless nights and Tylenol/Motrin for a few days.

She’s got 3 molars coming in now and it’s been on and off complaining of her teeth hurting. Thankfully it’s not keeping her up at night but always chewing on her fingers or a teething necklace (those have been great too and like $10 on Amazon)

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Owen got 16 teeth basically immediately. He teethed and cried about it for probably all of 20 minutes one day and poof teeth. Surprise mom and dad, now I want solid foods.

He's a fucking chunk. Will sit there with his pb&j sandwich, his sloth, and play with his blocks and put their shapes and holes together. Run over to me covered in peanut butter and want a hug, then run back over to his blocks. :rofl: fuckin a man

Reactions: Smokinhot

Thread Info