The new G8 "Catalina"

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Uploaded some new pics at the top of the thread. Found that mild photo editing software thing via flickr, and since I don't have photoshop, I tooled around with it for a little while this morning. Granted I really don't know what I'm doing, I think they came out pretty well for being not the best pictures to start with (some are even *gasp* cell phone pics). The only one I didn't touch is the one with the railroad tracks/power lines.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Let me know if you do any of that stuff. I've contemplated it, but I really don't want to mess around with that car. It's hard to resist though when you hear about people run a high 12 or a low 13 with just exhaust and a tune.

Quick little update for you. I installed a VCM ram air intake and Vector Motorsports Engine/Transmission tune and I went from a 14.2@100mph bone stock to a 13.2@105 (just last night). That's still running full weight (with some little shit in the trunk), half tank of gas, tires at 37psi and a 260 lbs driver. I have no doubt in my mind that with a set of long tubes and X pipe I'll be in the 12's.

Also, here's a couple pics from last night.

4933843007_2762c01013_b.jpg

4933785307_279c0870fb_b.jpg

4935263416_95c66ec193_b.jpg

4934387564_563476de57_b.jpg

And a random one.

4935288580_8b20876878_b.jpg

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Quick little update for you. I installed a VCM ram air intake and Vector Motorsports Engine/Transmission tune and I went from a 14.2@100mph bone stock to a 13.2@105 (just last night). That's still running full weight (with some little shit in the trunk), half tank of gas, tires at 37psi and a 260 lbs driver. I have no doubt in my mind that with a set of long tubes and X pipe I'll be in the 12's.
Nice! I went about 14.1X myself. I was kind of disappointed, but that was completely stock. I may have to look into those mods myself. For sure, with that exhaust, you'll easily be into the 12's. Keep us updated!!

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Nice!!! To date my pb is 13.2@107 with intake and schips tune. Hopefully after I pay fast motorsports a visit that can possibly get better! Nice runs!

Yeah see the only thing I don't understand about my car is that I'm trapping low. Most guys with intake/tune are trapping right where you're at around 107. I do know the car is RIGHT at the top of 3rd as I'm crossing the line... practically shifting as I'm crossing it. I wonder if it'd help to raise the rev limit another 100 or 200 RPM... only problem is that that you can tell the car is running out of steam at that point. Maybe shifting earlier would be better... I guess I'll have to do some correspondence with the tuner and see what we can do.

60 ft. was a 2.094

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
How Many runs u get in?

Last night? 7. Best run was the first run. I think the MAF/IAT is getting heat soaked real bad and pulling timing. It's the only thing I can come up with that makes any sense as it would have been coldest after the 20 mile drive there and continued to get hot in between runs from underhood temps rising.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.

Holy shit... I just looked into the weather data and DA from my time at the track Friday night. The air was nice, but the DA was still 2419!!! Corrected, my 13.27@105 is a [email protected] at sea level! Holy shit!

Bench racing is funnnn!

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Yep, it's made in Australia. A place called JHP imports it to the U.S. and ships directly to your door. I read a thread the other day about people having issues with the filter staying in place (mine did the same when I first installed, but I check/recheck everything so I reinstalled it and have never had a problem since) so they made a revision and are now selling it with the filler panel for 500 shipped. I had to buy the filler panel separate.

It's the most expensive intake on the market, but it is also the best performing, highest quality, and looks virtually OE. I absolutely love it. I'll go take a picture and load it up here in a minute.

The only issue is that it does move the MAF to a place more prone to heat soak, but that's no different than any other OTR (over the radiator/ram air) intake. The kit that Tonz was talking about rectifies that issue by installing a separate intake air temp sensor in the air box housing so that you get more accurate readings.

*edit*

Not my car, but here's what it looks like:

4841212433_06a6f8e858_b.jpg

And here's the link to the thread where VCM discloses their new pricing. It looks like they are selling it direct now, so that you don't have to go through JHP.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36455&page=3

And the contact info for the guy at VCM

[email protected]

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Yup, it is. I think it's worth it, but you can get nearly the same performance out of much less expensive ones. Most people seem to go with either the Vararam or the Rotofab depending on how they feel about OTR intakes. Vector sells both as packages with their tuning software. I went with Vector for the tuning because I wasn't ready to start messing with tuning an auto trans yet, and I didn't have FAST in my back yard =P Plus, once you purchase Vector's initial tune/software they will re-tune for free any time you want. Run some logs, send it to them, they mail you a new tune. Buy a set of headers? Run a few logs and they'll send you a new tune. Usually turnaround is just a day or two at most.

It's like having HPTuners, except that you don't have direct control over the tune yourself. You can data log, check and clear codes and all that, but they take care of the actual tune.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
Def a nice intake but IMO not worth the extra dough. If I were to do it all over again I would get the rotofab. My vararam is nice but having to fiddle with the radiator is kinda goofy.

That's what I like most about the VCM. It comes with new brackets for the radiator and when you're done with installation nothing moves around and it all looks factory.

Really, the VCM is just under 100 bucks over the price of the Vararam, has better quality of materials, and better fit/finish. Not that I'm trying to knock the Vararam, rather justifying the cost of the VCM.

I'd agree with you that the best bang for your buck and fairly hassle free intake is probably the Rotofab. I just prefer OTR style intakes when available and I love the fact that it looks OE.

Thread Info