The new DD.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
The new DD. *Now need advice with LIM gasket replacement...

Picked myself up a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe for winter and mustang down duties.
3100 v6, 4t60e trans
103k miles, clean car, no major dents/dings/scratches
Runs Fine, AC does not work. (I don't care)

Needs intake manifold, rotors and pads.

I paid $200 for it
IMG00120.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Oh and started the gasket replacement Today:

Leaking coolant like crazy GM 3100 v6
IMG00121.jpg

after tearing it apart
IMG00122.jpg

one of the problematic coolant passageways
IMG00123.jpg

The oil is milky white... uh oh.

ALSO, When I was re-installing the LIM, I found that the new tightening procedures and torque specs for this were in this order:
4 vertical long bolts 62 ft-lbs / 4 angled bolts to heads 62 lbs / then re-tighten the 4 vertical long bolts to 115 lbs / and finally 4 angled side bolts to heads to 115 ft/lbs.

That seems like a lot and I think I even snapped a vertical, long bolt even before reaching 50 ft/lbs... So I called it a night and will re-attack it tomorrow...

I have also heard of these replacement bolts that GM came out with for this LIM... WTF?

32vMonte

Car is broke
Dec 3, 2008
Oh and started the gasket replacement Today:

Leaking coolant like crazy GM 3100 v6
IMG00121.jpg

after tearing it apart
IMG00122.jpg

one of the problematic coolant passageways
IMG00123.jpg

The oil is milky white... uh oh.

ALSO, When I was re-installing the LIM, I found that the new tightening procedures and torque specs for this were in this order:
4 vertical long bolts 62 ft-lbs / 4 angled bolts to heads 62 lbs / then re-tighten the 4 vertical long bolts to 115 lbs / and finally 4 angled side bolts to heads to 115 ft/lbs.

That seems like a lot and I think I even snapped a vertical, long bolt even before reaching 50 ft/lbs... So I called it a night and will re-attack it tomorrow...

I have also heard of these replacement bolts that GM came out with for this LIM... WTF?

Yea like you have already found out it was in-lbs, also did you use gm metal gaskets?

I got regular plastic ones from the parts store and didn't know about the metal ones from the dealer. I was told to use them and they wont fail again.
Also they say to replace the bolts in the service manual but I just used loc-tite the blue kind. That's what comes on the new bolts.

The only reason they recommend new bolts is for the thread locking part. Trust me I had to redo a job my dads buddy did on my 3100 and noticed there was no loctite on the bolts and they where loose enough that I could take them out with little to no force.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
yeah, well I have to get the new bolt set now...

Drilled and backed out the part of the bolt suck in the head this afternoon.

And from what I've put together, the new metal gaskets just have a metal spacer in the gasket around the water passageway to keep the manifold from squashing down onto the gasket too much. Well I got that one.

Thread Info