• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The neglected maintenance thread

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
trailer.png

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Wife took the cruze in for an oil change today. They said the front brakes need to be done so I'm heading out to get parts. I'll take some pics and see if it falls into "just in time" maintenance or the "neglected" category. Probably got 70Kish on these so I'm betting they're still serviceable but we shall see.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If I'm cleared for 8k by oil analysis being tuned and high miles you'll be fine

I want to do one of those for this truck just to have a baseline.

I’m tuned but basic bitch SCT canned tune that I’m fairly confident only changes accelerator sensitivity lol.

What’s your mileage? I’ll be 265,000 by next change

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I want to do one of those for this truck just to have a baseline.

I’m tuned but basic bitch SCT canned tune that I’m fairly confident only changes accelerator sensitivity lol.

What’s your mileage? I’ll be 265,000 by next change
I've been saying like 250 for 2 years now. I'll probably start saying 275?

Been on tires it's whole life so odometer reads slow

Reactions: Outlaw

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
not necessarily neglected maintenance, but some awful potholes that at night in the rain i occasionally hit HARD in thailand; first i check that i have all my teeth, then that the bike is still up, then hope nothing is damaged. not sure if this or not but killed my rear tire. didn't seem too awful earlier today, then seemed kinda bad on the way to muay thai (which included a dirt road) then totally awful when leaving (clearly flat.)

i took it to a place nearby to my house; completely sweaty from muay thai (looked like i got out of a pool) - left the bike with the dude to go home and shower. came back and the bike was fixed; my thai does not really exist besides hi and thank you; from what i made out he replaced the tire; but not really, my understanding is there is an inner tube in there. which makes sense, kinda looked like my same tire, aaaand - the price just seemed too cheap. and it still seems too cheap.

it was 100 baht. that is $3.21 parts and labor. i'm not even in remote nowhere thailand, i am on a lesser known but still touristed island.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I had to break out the "bad time" starter kit the other day for tie rod ends of all things after successfully replacing the control arms. The end came right off, but the nut was seized! Lots of heat, PB, and impacting later it finally came loose. Of course I couldn't get an alignment that day, and I have a 50 mile commute to/from work. My tires scrubbed so bad, that it sounded like I was doing a rolling burnout the whole time.
1602682743288.png
1602682946011.png

Well it tracks straight, the wheel returns nicely, the brakes aren't squealing, and the control arm bushings don't clunk on bumps anymore. That's cool, but now it's a lot more obvious that my 182k mile shocks and top mounts are toast. :cautious: They'll have to wait. Good enough!

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
So I did the plugs in the truck last weekend.

Did the top 8 first because why not, they're easy. Pulled out 8 coppers. Cool. Coolbeans. Cool. Started the side 8 that refused to budge at first. Started pulling out platinums and realized they were the factory plugs. PO of this truck decided to do half the plugs and wonder why this thing's falling on it's face with fucking copper plugs. It always had a slight hesitation and had that "alriiiiiight fiiiiiine" acceleration to it.

16 new platinum plugs and it's a whole new god damn truck at 102k.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
So I did the plugs in the truck last weekend.

Did the top 8 first because why not, they're easy. Pulled out 8 coppers. Cool. Coolbeans. Cool. Started the side 8 that refused to budge at first. Started pulling out platinums and realized they were the factory plugs. PO of this truck decided to do half the plugs and wonder why this thing's falling on it's face with fucking copper plugs. It always had a slight hesitation and had that "alriiiiiight fiiiiiine" acceleration to it.

16 new platinum plugs and this truck is a whole new god damn truck.
Nice! Reminds of me of when I was having trouble with my GN running like poop. I finally decided to change the plugs on a whim. Lo and behold! The gaps were all the F over the place +/- 0.02" o_O WTF were they thinking?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Some of these are priceless :rofl:

I would say that the first guy with the radios is a CBer except that antenna is a screwdriver type which a CBer would never have (they only run on one band.) I kind of chuckle at the gear, he really only needs 2-3 of those radios, the amp, the antenna and about 1/10th the wiring. If that car didn't/doesn't catch on fire at some point I'd be shocked.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info