The neglected maintenance thread

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wife took the cruze in for an oil change today. They said the front brakes need to be done so I'm heading out to get parts. I'll take some pics and see if it falls into "just in time" maintenance or the "neglected" category. Probably got 70Kish on these so I'm betting they're still serviceable but we shall see.

Outlaw

Reaction score
I went 1,200 miles over my oil change interval on my 7.3 and I feel terrible about it.

‘bout all I got 🤷🏼‍♀️

OP
DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I went 1,200 miles over my oil change interval on my 7.3 and I feel terrible about it.

‘bout all I got 🤷🏼‍♀️
I'm convinced basically that a 7.3 can easily go 5k on Dino oil.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
Timing Belt tensioner is staring to go out so might as well do the whole 100K service. Timing belt, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and pulleys

OP
DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I do 5k on mine. Mobil Delvac or whatever and Motorcraft filters. But it ends up being like an every 6 week oil change.
Go to Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck or esp. Go 8-10k

Outlaw

Reaction score
If I'm cleared for 8k by oil analysis being tuned and high miles you'll be fine
I want to do one of those for this truck just to have a baseline.

I’m tuned but basic bitch SCT canned tune that I’m fairly confident only changes accelerator sensitivity lol.

What’s your mileage? I’ll be 265,000 by next change

OP
DEEZUZ

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I want to do one of those for this truck just to have a baseline.

I’m tuned but basic bitch SCT canned tune that I’m fairly confident only changes accelerator sensitivity lol.

What’s your mileage? I’ll be 265,000 by next change
I've been saying like 250 for 2 years now. I'll probably start saying 275🤣

Been on tires it's whole life so odometer reads slow

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
not necessarily neglected maintenance, but some awful potholes that at night in the rain i occasionally hit HARD in thailand; first i check that i have all my teeth, then that the bike is still up, then hope nothing is damaged. not sure if this or not but killed my rear tire. didn't seem too awful earlier today, then seemed kinda bad on the way to muay thai (which included a dirt road) then totally awful when leaving (clearly flat.)

i took it to a place nearby to my house; completely sweaty from muay thai (looked like i got out of a pool) - left the bike with the dude to go home and shower. came back and the bike was fixed; my thai does not really exist besides hi and thank you; from what i made out he replaced the tire; but not really, my understanding is there is an inner tube in there. which makes sense, kinda looked like my same tire, aaaand - the price just seemed too cheap. and it still seems too cheap.

it was 100 baht. that is $3.21 parts and labor. i'm not even in remote nowhere thailand, i am on a lesser known but still touristed island.

v6buicks

Reaction score
I had to break out the "bad time" starter kit the other day for tie rod ends of all things after successfully replacing the control arms. The end came right off, but the nut was seized! Lots of heat, PB, and impacting later it finally came loose. Of course I couldn't get an alignment that day, and I have a 50 mile commute to/from work. My tires scrubbed so bad, that it sounded like I was doing a rolling burnout the whole time.
1602682743288.png 1602682946011.png

Well it tracks straight, the wheel returns nicely, the brakes aren't squealing, and the control arm bushings don't clunk on bumps anymore. That's cool, but now it's a lot more obvious that my 182k mile shocks and top mounts are toast. :cautious: They'll have to wait. Good enough!

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
So I did the plugs in the truck last weekend.

Did the top 8 first because why not, they're easy. Pulled out 8 coppers. Cool. Coolbeans. Cool. Started the side 8 that refused to budge at first. Started pulling out platinums and realized they were the factory plugs. PO of this truck decided to do half the plugs and wonder why this thing's falling on it's face with fucking copper plugs. It always had a slight hesitation and had that "alriiiiiight fiiiiiine" acceleration to it.

16 new platinum plugs and it's a whole new god damn truck at 102k.

v6buicks

Reaction score
So I did the plugs in the truck last weekend.

Did the top 8 first because why not, they're easy. Pulled out 8 coppers. Cool. Coolbeans. Cool. Started the side 8 that refused to budge at first. Started pulling out platinums and realized they were the factory plugs. PO of this truck decided to do half the plugs and wonder why this thing's falling on it's face with fucking copper plugs. It always had a slight hesitation and had that "alriiiiiight fiiiiiine" acceleration to it.

16 new platinum plugs and this truck is a whole new god damn truck.
Nice! Reminds of me of when I was having trouble with my GN running like poop. I finally decided to change the plugs on a whim. Lo and behold! The gaps were all the F over the place +/- 0.02" o_O WTF were they thinking?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom