Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Reactions: Spivitz

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
What are thoughts on running catless, slipon, and air filter but no tuning or fuel enrichment on newer bikes?

A number of owners in my group (CLX 700) are doing just that and claim, "It's running just fine". I'm suggesting they at least check their plugs to see if they're running lean, but get met with obstinance.

No tuners or power commanders out for this bike yet, but plenty are doing full exhaust and intake. Are they likely going to have some premature issues, or does the stock ECU adapt on newer bikes?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Most bikes you can do slip on and filter with no tuning, but if you remove the cat you need a tune.

Bikes come from the factory fairly lean to meet fuel mileage goals, and the oem pcm can only adjust so much to correct it ince a cat is removed, which makes a much more dramatic difference than exhust canister itself.

There's always naysayers that claim the bike "runs fine" but how do they know it's not dangerously lean? They don't.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Most bikes you can do slip on and filter with no tuning, but if you remove the cat you need a tune.

Bikes come from the factory fairly lean to meet fuel mileage goals, and the oem pcm can only adjust so much to correct it ince a cat is removed, which makes a much more dramatic difference than exhust canister itself.

There's always naysayers that claim the bike "runs fine" but how do they know it's not dangerously lean? They don't.
That's pretty much what I thought. Thanks for confirming. Still best to check plugs then after cutting the motor after full throttle, or ok to check them whenever?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
What are thoughts on running catless, slipon, and air filter but no tuning or fuel enrichment on newer bikes?

A number of owners in my group (CLX 700) are doing just that and claim, "It's running just fine". I'm suggesting they at least check their plugs to see if they're running lean, but get met with obstinance.

No tuners or power commanders out for this bike yet, but plenty are doing full exhaust and intake. Are they likely going to have some premature issues, or does the stock ECU adapt on newer bikes?
It’s probably leaving a lot of power on the table but I’d imagine the stock computer compensates enough to prevent hurting the motor

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Thread Info