20221124_105930.jpg

20221124_111317.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Rode mine to the gas station yesterday to add Stabil and top off the tank.

Got home and changed the oil, plugged in the battery tender, covered it up, and shoved it into the corner. See ya in 3-4 months.

Cue the oil leak pic...because Harley Davidson.

View attachment 142478
OOC, that's a fairly new bike, where was it leaking from?

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Aron Aron

I'm glad it's all good Brother.

I'm bouncing the battery tender back and forth down here.

I do disconnect though and let them sit without juice a few days at a time.

I've smoked a lot of batteries leaving the tender on for months. I'll admit, it might had been a faulty battery tender I no longer have.

20221205_175739.jpg

Reactions: Aron

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Anyone done a lithium battery yet for their bike? The NOCO ones on Amazon seem to get good reviews with a decent price and have BMS protections.

I've always just plugged in my bikes to a Battery Tender Jr in the garage in between rides, so never had an issue. But I like the idea of less weight up top, longer life, and more reliability.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Anyone done a lithium battery yet for their bike? The NOCO ones on Amazon seem to get good reviews with a decent price and have BMS protections.

I've always just plugged in my bikes to a Battery Tender Jr in the garage in between rides, so never had an issue. But I like the idea of less weight up top, longer life, and more reliability.
My VStrom 1000 had a lithium ion in it when I bought it. It was an Advance Auto brand. I had no complaints. I will say that I did ride it to work during a snow storm one time, and found that what they say about LI batteries being affected by cold is correct. After not being used for long periods, or during extremely cold weather, the batteries go to sleep. When I went to start the bike to go home the next morning, it had gone to sleep. Simple fix, it needs current, whether charge or discharge to wake it up. It wouldn't start my bike right away, I had to turn the key on and let it sit for about 2 minutes before it had power to crank the bike. Not a big deal for a fair weather rider.

It was cool because the battery weighed like 5 pounds, compared to much more for a lead acid.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
My VStrom 1000 had a lithium ion in it when I bought it. It was an Advance Auto brand. I had no complaints. I will say that I did ride it to work during a snow storm one time, and found that what they say about LI batteries being affected by cold is correct. After not being used for long periods, or during extremely col weather, the batteries go to sleep. When I went to start the bike to go home the next morning, it had gone to sleep. Simple fix, it needs current, whether charge or discharge to wake it up. It wouldn't start my bike right away, I had to turn the key on and let it sit for about 2 minutes before it had power to crank the bike. Not a big deal for a fair weather rider.

It was cool because the battery weighed like 5 pounds, compared to much more for a lead acid.
Yeah, that seems to be the biggest drawback in our climate. I don't ride much below 50 degrees, but do once in awhile. But turning on the headlight for a couple minutes to warm it up the battery seems to do the trick from what I've read. I'd probably still get a Lithium compatible trickle charger for winter in my unheated garage.

$129 from Amazon or Autozone with a 5 year warranty seems great too if there were any issues. Probably easier to do the warranty through Autozone purchase than Amazon. Downside is that the bike and battery is basically brand new, so not really much point in replacing it at this point, other than weight savings. Still kind of appealing...

Thread Info