Oct 5, 2012
Little Cruise to Redneck Relics... Hahaha

20220502_123013.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I took an Advanced Rider Course with MSF this weekend (just $20!) in Palatine and have to say it was fun, challenging, and well worth it, even in the heat! Good discussion between students and instructors (Dan and Melanie). It was rewarding to repeatedly practice some technical braking and cornering skills while getting direct feedback.

There was good class variety with ADV, cruiser, bobber, bagger, scrambler, and sport bikes. Veteran riders, newer riders and instructors demonstrated and discussed how those different styles sometimes require different skills and techniques. I'd absolutely take the class again if I switched from my nimble Svartpilen to a newer or larger bike, for example.

Expect about 3 hours of administrative stuff & classroom discussion on risk assessment and safety choices before 5 hours of riding the 9-10 different parking lot layouts/challenges. Tip: bring plenty of water and sunscreen if you attend!☀️

Pics in the nearby Harper College parking garage since I needed to find some shade during lunch, and not all in the class wanted photos shared. I'll be hitting up a few more empty parking lots this year to continue practicing some of those techniques and skills. ?
20220514_122901.jpg
20220514_122803.jpg
20220514_122910.jpg
20220514_122827.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I took an Advanced Rider Course with MSF this weekend (just $20!) in Palatine and have to say it was fun, challenging, and well worth it, even in the heat! Good discussion between students and instructors (Dan and Melanie). It was rewarding to repeatedly practice some technical braking and cornering skills while getting direct feedback.

There was good class variety with ADV, cruiser, bobber, bagger, scrambler, and sport bikes. Veteran riders, newer riders and instructors demonstrated and discussed how those different styles sometimes require different skills and techniques. I'd absolutely take the class again if I switched from my nimble Svartpilen to a newer or larger bike, for example.

Expect about 3 hours of administrative stuff & classroom discussion on risk assessment and safety choices before 5 hours of riding the 9-10 different parking lot layouts/challenges. Tip: bring plenty of water and sunscreen if you attend!☀️

Pics in the nearby Harper College parking garage since I needed to find some shade during lunch, and not all in the class wanted photos shared. I'll be hitting up a few more empty parking lots this year to continue practicing some of those techniques and skills. ?View attachment 119692View attachment 119693View attachment 119694View attachment 119695
I went though 120oz of water on Friday at the track. Nothing like full sun and 85° heat while wearing my 1-piece black racing leathers. Sweat off almost 3lbs even with the water intake.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Finally got my bars installed this past Friday night. 12" Meethooks 100% pre-wired. Took about 3 hours total. We also didn't need to use the brake cable extension. We had more than enough slack that we didn't even need to re-route the cable. Finished it off with some Hart Luck ODI lock on grips and Arlen Ness mirrors. The grips I love because these were the same ODI grips I had on a few of my BMX race bikes. I absolutely hated the stock bars. The more I rode, the more I hated them. 12" bars for me are perfect. The bike feels so much more stable and handles way better going straight and in the turns. I can actually get into a turn now and feel like I have control.

Onto the bad. Me and my girl went out for a ride Saturday. We were going to stop at Fox River H-D then over to the Alley for some food. As I was turning onto Rt. 64 off of Rt. 47 I went to hit 3rd gear and the extension piece of the clutch cable fucking broke. I was able to pull off into a lot right there and start figuring out my next step. Fox River had one in stock and my girls son was at work in St. Charles. He came and picked us up as soon as he was off work, took us over to the dealer and back to my bike. I was able to replace it on the side of the road. Very simple if you've never done this before. Literally a 3 minute fix. But over all left us "stranded" for about 90 minutes. I just emailed the company I got everything through to see if they will replace the part for me or give me some type of credit for the part I had to buy and replace on the road.

14.jpg
15.jpg

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
What's the MSF class to take in order to meet the "road test" requirement for an M license? Seems like that will be easier than trying to go do the test with the mouth-breathers at the DMV. After 20 years of riding on the street, I figure I should get my M license finally.
You'll want the Basic Rider Course2. 12 hours vs 20 hours for the regular BRC. Still $20. Good for new riders, but may feel incredibly basic for an experienced rider.

I'd probably just set an appt to take the test at the Sec of State since it'll take far less time to review the booklet, and do the testing.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
You'll want the Basic Rider Course2. 12 hours vs 20 hours for the regular BRC. Still $20. Good for new riders, but may feel incredibly basic for an experienced rider.

I'd probably just set an appt to take the test at the Sec of State since it'll take far less time to review the booklet, and do the testing.

Yeah I was reading into it and I should probably just go do the tests at the DMV. The basic riding course would be a waste of a day for me.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Finally got my bars installed this past Friday night. 12" Meethooks 100% pre-wired. Took about 3 hours total. We also didn't need to use the brake cable extension. We had more than enough slack that we didn't even need to re-route the cable. Finished it off with some Hart Luck ODI lock on grips and Arlen Ness mirrors. The grips I love because these were the same ODI grips I had on a few of my BMX race bikes. I absolutely hated the stock bars. The more I rode, the more I hated them. 12" bars for me are perfect. The bike feels so much more stable and handles way better going straight and in the turns. I can actually get into a turn now and feel like I have control.

Onto the bad. Me and my girl went out for a ride Saturday. We were going to stop at Fox River H-D then over to the Alley for some food. As I was turning onto Rt. 64 off of Rt. 47 I went to hit 3rd gear and the extension piece of the clutch cable fucking broke. I was able to pull off into a lot right there and start figuring out my next step. Fox River had one in stock and my girls son was at work in St. Charles. He came and picked us up as soon as he was off work, took us over to the dealer and back to my bike. I was able to replace it on the side of the road. Very simple if you've never done this before. Literally a 3 minute fix. But over all left us "stranded" for about 90 minutes. I just emailed the company I got everything through to see if they will replace the part for me or give me some type of credit for the part I had to buy and replace on the road.

View attachment 119710View attachment 119711
A friend was having wind buffeting problems around his head with his '22 SG despite trying a few different windshields. Seems like he solved it with some fork deflectors. Any issues for you?

Thread Info