🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Yowza this is sick. That's my kind of street cruiser right there. Fat tires, all the hp, light, sick bobber-esque appearance but with a modern front and tail section. WOOD spin the back tire through 1st and 2nd then crash in to a parked car

The traction, wheelie, and stability control systems are really impressive in these machines now. Anyone can ride even the meanest machine! Just leave the nannies on!

Reactions: 1MEANGT and BS ISF

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The traction, wheelie, and stability control systems are really impressive in these machines now. Anyone can ride even the meanest machine! Just leave the nannies on!
Almost, you can still twist the throttle enough to gain too much speed to stop or turn in time. Watched a squid on an R1 lay into the throttle thinking the nannies would protect him. Didn't do much for him when he went into the corner too hot and ended up about 75' off the road with the R1 wadded up. Had less than 500 miles on it.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Almost, you can still twist the throttle enough to gain too much speed to stop or turn in time. Watched a squid on an R1 lay into the throttle thinking the nannies would protect him. Didn't do much for him when he went into the corner too hot and ended up about 75' off the road with the R1 wadded up. Had less than 500 miles on it.

Oh sure... Can't prevent ignorance I guess.

Turning on bikes is what I love about them most. I still rock chicken strips with the best of them, but I push myself lower and lower. Can't wait for warm temps! Love the twisties!

Reactions: 1MEANGT

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh sure... Can't prevent ignorance I guess.

Turning on bikes is what I love about them most. I still rock chicken strips with the best of them, but I push myself lower and lower. Can't wait for warm temps! Love the twisties!
I have chicken strips on my track bike, but for a good reason. Bike came with a 180/55 rear, and when the feelers on the pegs touch the ground I've got about 0.25" of tire left. It has a 190 on the rear now and when the feelers hit I have about 0.75" of rubber left. Seeing as how I don't need to be chucking the bike down the track I figure it's better having that extra 0.5" of safety net, and I can still carry the same corner speeds.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
My wife riding 50cc of noise while we were down in Myrtle Beach the last few days. :p She had fun and didn't crash which was good considering this was her first time on a 2 wheeler with a motor. We rented a couple for 2 hours to zip around the secondary roads near our resort.

Golf carts were EVERYWHERE on all the secondary roads down there.

Amy scooter1.jpg

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Anyone wear ear plugs when they ride?
I don't, ears have been smoked since 1989.

Getting old though, wondering if it could help. Plug up when riding, cutting the lawn etc

#oldmanthoughts
Yes, quite often. If Im doing a ride that Im at speed for an extended period of time I almost always have them in under my helmet. If Im riding back roads or in traffic, not usually.

Reactions: Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Anyone wear ear plugs when they ride?
I don't, ears have been smoked since 1989.

Getting old though, wondering if it could help. Plug up when riding, cutting the lawn etc

#oldmanthoughts
Yes, unless it's a shakedown test around the block and I need to listen to the bike. Cruising back roads at speeds less than 55-60mph I'll be just wearing my helmet. But if I know I'll be on the highway the ear plugs go in under the helmet. Even if it means stopping on the shoulder to put them in.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
As fas as brands, I have Hearos Hi Fidelity musician's plugs and NoNoise motorsports plugs. I can't see any difference in the performance.

I want to try EarPeace and Pinlock. See if there's any difference. Both that I have kill the wind noise fairly well, but also muffle the Sena in my helmet. I'd like to hear my music/nav a little better while still eliminating wind noise.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
As fas as brands, I have Hearos Hi Fidelity musician's plugs and NoNoise motorsports plugs. I can't see any difference in the performance.

I want to try EarPeace and Pinlock. See if there's any difference. Both that I have kill the wind noise fairly well, but also muffle the Sena in my helmet. I'd like to hear my music/nav a little better while still eliminating wind noise.
I’ve got just the thing for you. Have the same problem. For highway/high speed I just suck it up and go with Howard Leight low density foam plugs with a 32 NRR (might be 31). I can’t hear my Sena 20S speakers but don’t really care.

I looked around for some foam plugs that were around 16-18 NRR so that it would reduce the wind noise but let me hear the speakers. Couldn’t find any. Did find some rubber tiered ones that work really well and are dirt cheap, so disposable. When I get home I’ll look up which ones they are.

Also, it appears that some Sena units aren’t as loud as others. My 20s gets a lot louder than my friend’s 20s Evo, regardless of the audio settings. I’ve heard the 50’s are even quieter. Not sure if it’s because of the amplifier, more impedance, or lousy speaker drivers.

Reactions: Aron and Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
These are what I use for highway under helmet,or no helmet riding (which is rare these days):

I’m trying to find where I ordered the lower NRR ones from. I do recall they came in three sizes (small, medium, large), and I got one of each. Can’t remember which I settled on, and they’re not marked.

For comparison:

D4094CF0-C6A7-4AC0-968E-E53EEA9AA8DF.jpg

Reactions: Spivitz and Aron

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I’ve got just the thing for you. Have the same problem. For highway/high speed I just suck it up and go with Howard Leight low density foam plugs with a 32 NRR (might be 31). I can’t hear my Sena 20S speakers but don’t really care.

I looked around for some foam plugs that were around 16-18 NRR so that it would reduce the wind noise but let me hear the speakers. Couldn’t find any. Did find some rubber tiered ones that work really well and are dirt cheap, so disposable. When I get home I’ll look up which ones they are.

Also, it appears that some Sena units aren’t as loud as others. My 20s gets a lot louder than my friend’s 20s Evo, regardless of the audio settings. I’ve heard the 50’s are even quieter. Not sure if it’s because of the amplifier, more impedance, or lousy speaker drivers.
I have the OG 20S. I did put the Volic speakers in, which are supposed to be a major improvement in sound quality and volume, but I didn't notice much difference. I do believe I need to update my software to benefit from the speakers though. I never have since I got it.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have the OG 20S. I did put the Volic speakers in, which are supposed to be a major improvement in sound quality and volume, but I didn't notice much difference. I do believe I need to update my software to benefit from the speakers though. I never have since I got it.
Ah, I didn’t know you could swap out the speakers. Well, saw that they were detachable, but never looked into replacement ones.

I have an iPhone and found that certain EQ settings for the music app makes a big difference. I normally use Rock, but with the Sena I have to use OFF so it sounds good and loud enough.

I’m also running iOS 13 still and the Sena Utility app won’t find/recognize the 20s, so can’t make changes on the fly. It does work correctly with my junk iPhone 6s running iOS 14.

Thread Info