🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Fuck it, just ordered a new pulley, goin four teeth less so I can ignite the tire 1 through 3rd....

I'll have a new S & S 117ci motor in that bike before I know it.

It's exciting

?

It's always best to think about performance parts before you drink, then around #3 I'm on the phone buying parts, like tonight.

New belt too

:wackit:

BS ISF BS ISF

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
By "pulley" do you mean for the primary drive? If so, does your bike read speed from the front wheel or off of the trans? If latter, your speedo is going to read much higher than you're actually going, and it's going to add miles faster to the odometer as well. So if you ride 1000 miles it might show something like 1140 (depending on the new ratio).

My track bike was 1 down in the front and 2 up in the back. So when it read 100mph I was actually doing like 86mph. The odometer reads like 9300 miles, but because it was "reading" higher the true mileage on the bike is actually like 8500.

I have since went back to stock gearing so the speedo is off by about 3% now.

Spivitz

TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
By "pulley" do you mean for the primary drive? If so, does your bike read speed from the front wheel or off of the trans? If latter, your speedo is going to read much higher than you're actually going, and it's going to add miles faster to the odometer as well. So if you ride 1000 miles it might show something like 1140 (depending on the new ratio).

My track bike was 1 down in the front and 2 up in the back. So when it read 100mph I was actually doing like 86mph. The odometer reads like 9300 miles, but because it was "reading" higher the true mileage on the bike is actually like 8500.

I have since went back to stock gearing so the speedo is off by about 3% now.

Correct,, primary drive pulley
Its like goin from a 3:08 to 4:11

They will adjust my speedometer with the tuner.
It needed to be done with the new transmission.

There is a big gear ratio difference from the stock 5 speed to this Baker six.

Thus, going to a a smaller pulley will give me a bit more spin, I'll be shifting quick and burning rubber

:rofl:

Spivitz

TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Pure happiness

20200605_101059.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
That's the problem around here, no good places to ride. Either congestion and traffic or farm fields. Have to go all the way to NW IL or SW WI to find anything good. I've done the IL-2 along the Rock River a dozen times now so it gets boring. Wonder if Chief Blackhawk is still wrapped up in plastic.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have, but I avoid going east as much as I can. The bikes have been downtown before, but seriously doubt they ever will again.

When things were "normal" we used to ride out to Shabbona Lake for lunch. Typically meeting somewhere along the way. You could just run 30 out there, but it's boring and too much traffic. So I run 88 to the 56 exit, go past the airport and turn left (south) on Dugan Rd, cross the track and take the first right at the traffic circle to get on to Granart Rd. From there take it to Galena/Chicago Rd (little rock) and go west to Shabbona rd, then north to the park. You can enter from the south near the crew buildings which is a gravel entrance, or go to the north entrance and ride through.

However Galena/Chicago Rd has gotten a lot of traffic from people avoiding 30, and the road surface is starting to suffer. So instead I run Chicago Rd to Somonauk Rd and go south to Suydam Rd. Then take that west all the way out to Harper Rd or Rollo Rd, then go north to catch Shabbona Rd. Suydam is very lightly traveled, has a better surface, and actually winds around just a bit. It's not farm fields the whole way. Adds a few miles, but to avoid the traffic it is worth it.

Taking Chicago Rd the whole way:
1591387134910.png

Diverting south to Suydam Rd:
1591387272595.png

Reactions: Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
310 miles today ladies.

Did the run down to Peoria. 29 on the west side is kind of boring. 26 on the East is the better of the two. Looked like some nice twisty roads branched off of 26, but there was a parade of slow moving harleys we got stuck behind and would have had to follow them.

55 zone, they could barely make it to 50 and would stand the bikes up in the curves and slow down to like 30. Then they’d spread out so you couldn’t pass them.

Got some bugs to clean off, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Aron and Spivitz

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I had one of the two front brake lines (racing setup) on my 96 ZX-9R split while I was down at Starved Rock. We had just run 71 through the twisties and turned around at the lodge, running them back again. Had stopped at that first parking lot right before the hairpin (going west). As I was pulling out I grabbed the front brake only to "casually" slow down. Started to pump it, as I was getting close to the road, and traffic. Nothing. Ended up killing the ignition and letting the clutch out (in 2nd gear) slowly to bring the bike to a stop. Since it was gravel I wasn't about to let the rear tire lock and dig in.

I got off the bike and saw the front wheel covered in brake fluid. Master cylinder inspection window showed it was empty. Had to ride all the way home to Carol Stream with no front brakes. That was a fun ride, and boy did habit kick in when going to stop. Kept wanting to grab the front brake lever. Lots of downshifting and rear brakes on the way back to slow me down. I can only imagine what would have happened had I zipped into that first turn at speed only to have no front brakes. I'm a good rider and all, but pretty sure I'd have been eating guard rail for lunch.

Ordered stainless lines, a bunch of fluid, and new pads all around. I'm not sure how much rear pad I had before I started riding that day, but I sure didn't have much left when I got home.

When I got my ZX10-R, and subsequently the ZX6-R, one of the first things I did was swap out the rubber lines for for stainless ones. They both got RBF600 fluid to keep them from boiling while at the track, especially for sessions at Road America.

Reactions: bikrboy128

Thread Info