🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
That does look like a lot of fun. Will have to take the ATV down there. What kind of speeds were you averaging on the trails?

Looks like I'd have to get myself an off-road helmet before I could use any of them.

Definitely a ATV\SXS heaven there. Speeds varied. There is some crazy technical stuff, even on the easy trails. You have to watch blind corners as most trails are just wide enough for a SXS to get through. Meet one head on and you are in for a bad time. With that said some of the faster flowy stuff I was hitting speeds of 35-40 mph.

And yes, helmets are a requirement there.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Surprisingly, for all the years I've been riding the fire trails around my dad's, not once have we gone with helmets, lol. I think in the last few years we haven't even come across another rider. Few wild turkeys, snakes, coyotes, a bear or two. But also not going too fast since they wind around. Might average 10-15 mph over the easy stuff since every corner is blind.

Friend wanted to bring his dirt bike down to ride the trails. Told him leave it in the garage, he'd never get off the property on a bike. 4WD, low gear, and on two of the trails leading off the property you need to be able to lock the diffs to get enough traction to climb.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Surprisingly, for all the years I've been riding the fire trails around my dad's, not once have we gone with helmets, lol. I think in the last few years we haven't even come across another rider. Few wild turkeys, snakes, coyotes, a bear or two. But also not going too fast since they wind around. Might average 10-15 mph over the easy stuff since every corner is blind.

Friend wanted to bring his dirt bike down to ride the trails. Told him leave it in the garage, he'd never get off the property on a bike. 4WD, low gear, and on two of the trails leading off the property you need to be able to lock the diffs to get enough traction to climb.

You would be surprised what you can climb on a dirt bike.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh no doubt. However my dad's neighbors, all born & raised there, riding/ATV's for years have failed. There are a few spots that are just that bad. My dad has the trails cleared/groomed every few years and even the CAT bulldozers have lost traction and rolled. Is neat to watch them go right up the side of a hill or mountain at like 60-70° though, just don't turn :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1MEANGT

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Hmmmmmm.... It's tempting

Screenshot_20200930-094650_Chrome.jpg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
One of the reasons I keep looking at the Monsters. I'm not doing any multi-day cruises/tours, so don't need the hard packs. The track bike can be a bit punishing on the street. A Monster would fit in nicely, like a used 1100 or 1200, probably an S model for the upgraded springy bits.

Though one day I really want to have an S4Rs...

Reactions: Spivitz

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
One of the reasons I keep looking at the Monsters. I'm not doing any multi-day cruises/tours, so don't need the hard packs. The track bike can be a bit punishing on the street. A Monster would fit in nicely, like a used 1100 or 1200, probably an S model for the upgraded springy bits.

Though one day I really want to have an S4Rs...

Yes.

Monster.

Good call

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Even though it'd probably cover 75% of my riding, I wouldn't go with the smaller displacements, like the 696, 797, 821, etc. Gotta be liter or larger. Anything pre-'05 (07?) you need to be careful with. The plating on the cranks were inferior and were prone to flaking. Then actually started to manufacture the engines with an inspection plate just to keep an eye on things till they could come up with a solution.

That and the cam belts needing replacing quite frequently, especially if you hooned it. A valve adjustment on the desmo engines is not cheap.

Newer models are much better for this, and their valve adjustment period was extended way out from 6000 miles. So much more forgiving.

But the sound of an older M1000 with a dry clutch and Termi pipes.... ooof.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
I did a thing...... Since I sold my Aprilia and run mousses in my dirt tires (not very street friendly), I still need my hooligan fix. And let me tell you, she is a wheelie ripper!!! Just put a supermoto setup on the 500. This thing is an absolute riot!!!

View attachment 68490

Mikes motorcycle dealership. :bowrofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 1MEANGT

Thread Info