🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I took a very quick peruse through the Harley site... these are what caught my eye for a style I like and would ride:
Deluxe (dark blue or orange)
Fat Boy (Blue or classic silver)
Heritage Classic (silver pine or that orange)

That's cause I like to do long rides, but don't necessarily want a full bagger and fairing(s). All three would need a rear seat pillion and backrest though, which I don't think you can get on the Deluxe.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Man, I hope I get my title soon. Like I said I listed the bike high just to see how it went, and since the title is on its way I wasn't in a rush. So far I have gotten 1 spam response, and that's all. Considering there were some listed for more than mine with more miles I thought I would see more interest. Wondering if I drop it $500 for now, or just wait and drop it $1,000 once I have the title? I am probably better off waiting it out till spring, but now I kinda want it out of my way.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Also, anyone riding this weekend? Sunday looks to be the better of the two days, but might go out both if I don't have much going on around the house. Just need a destination/route. Thinking either SW Wisconsin or do the RT 66 thing again and make more stops for the Americana (and photos).

Though a coworker that lives up north of Oshkosh said to just google "rustic roads" for WI and you get a bunch of scenic routes. Either WI trip would be at least 2.5 - 3 hours just to get to the starting point.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Anyone been looking or bought a new bike in the last five months? All the dealers i have been chatting with (both Harley and Indian) are tacking on a ADM here. They said that inventory is in short supply and they won't budge. Especially outside of the bullshit freight costs and setup costs. just curious.
When I was looking a couple months ago the dealer had all kinds of fees. No additional mark up but they wouldn't come off their $800 set up fee on a used bike.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
When I was looking a couple months ago the dealer had all kinds of fees. No additional mark up but they wouldn't come off their $800 set up fee on a used bike.

And a lot of these sales guys/managers have this attitude towards everything. you would think it was as if i came over and fucked their wives and stole their cat. Like how DARE i not want to pay all of these additional fees. Especially the ADM. Actually, the last three bikes i bought, was able to get all the fees waived and close to invoice on the bike. Granted, this was a few years back but still.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And you could probably do a better job of checking it than they will.

In 1999 I picked up a 1996 Kawasaki ZX-9R (I still have it) from Lombard Kawasaki, when it was still open. Their "tech" did a full inspection and test ride before I picked it up. I didn't get more than a 1/4 mile away before the bike died. They set the petcock to "off". About 20 minutes later I noticed the bike was wanting to walk to the right a bit, but being a newish rider (~3 years) I didn't think much of it. I took a left turn at an intersection at speed and the ass came out on me and put me on the ground. WTF? Once I had the bike up I looked over it carefully. The rear axle was nowhere close to being centered. The left adjuster was a good distance forward of the right one, cocking the back wheel to the right. So when I made the left turn the back of the bike wanted to keep going straight.

I called and bitched to the sales guy and the head mechanic. Didn't move the bike from the parking lot next to where it went down, told them to come see for themselves. They sent a truck/trailer and the lead tech came with. He saw how far off it was. Got the dealership to pay for all the repairs.

The next year my dad bought a 1999 Vulcan Classic 1500 from them. The tech kept trying to start it, cranking the shit out of it. Both my dad and I opened the tank, tilted the bike left and right and didn't hear a thing, no gas. The tech was adamant he put a gallon in, which is why the fuel gauge was on "E". After another few minutes of cranking my dad went and got the owner and the lead tech and told them what was going on. The lead opened the tank, smelled it, shook it, slapped the tech on the back of the head and said, "there's no fucking gas in it!". Again, he swore up and down he "just put a gallon of gas in it. Unfuckingreal.

I never trust a dealer's work. I inspect everything before I even swing a leg over the seat.

My friend had his 03 Mean Streak at B&B in Elgin for some minor work and an oil change. Later that season he wanted to change the oil again since he did a few long rides, like 3000k miles total. We couldn't get the filter off to save our lives. They torqued it down so hard he had to take it to back to B&B. Took their mechanic almost 30 minutes to get it off. They swore they "torqued it to spec". Bullshit. No reason for an oil filter to be that tight. Brian (of the B&B) gave my friend a refund on the oil change and a discount on new tires. Sad to see them close, Brian always took care of me.

Reactions: VenomInside

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
LOL! when the one dealer told me that as well, i laughed. I was like, seriously? You guys are going to ADM these things? they said, yup. Take it or leave it.
I'd have left it and told them to pound sand. Let them eat some ramen noodles for a few days instead of steaks with no commisions and they'll starting thinking about the ridiculous fees.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Funny you should say that. The dealer i was referring to above just called and asked if we can talk about pricing. They can reduce their ADM by $200 (from $1,000).
I just laughed and said if that is the best your going to do, please take me off your call list and i will deal with a dealer that doesn't have their head up their ass. They had their chance.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wow.

CLICKBAIT BULLLLLSHIT.

fuck i hate the media.

Police have also issued more citations, with 226 people getting tickets. The figure is 37 more than last year. But it appears police are less lenient this year and are letting fewer people off with warnings.

So far, police in the region have reported 18 crashes, which is down from last year's mark of 20. None have been fatal.

who gives a fuck.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
And you could probably do a better job of checking it than they will.

In 1999 I picked up a 1996 Kawasaki ZX-9R (I still have it) from Lombard Kawasaki, when it was still open. Their "tech" did a full inspection and test ride before I picked it up. I didn't get more than a 1/4 mile away before the bike died. They set the petcock to "off". About 20 minutes later I noticed the bike was wanting to walk to the right a bit, but being a newish rider (~3 years) I didn't think much of it. I took a left turn at an intersection at speed and the ass came out on me and put me on the ground. WTF? Once I had the bike up I looked over it carefully. The rear axle was nowhere close to being centered. The left adjuster was a good distance forward of the right one, cocking the back wheel to the right. So when I made the left turn the back of the bike wanted to keep going straight.

I called and bitched to the sales guy and the head mechanic. Didn't move the bike from the parking lot next to where it went down, told them to come see for themselves. They sent a truck/trailer and the lead tech came with. He saw how far off it was. Got the dealership to pay for all the repairs.

The next year my dad bought a 1999 Vulcan Classic 1500 from them. The tech kept trying to start it, cranking the shit out of it. Both my dad and I opened the tank, tilted the bike left and right and didn't hear a thing, no gas. The tech was adamant he put a gallon in, which is why the fuel gauge was on "E". After another few minutes of cranking my dad went and got the owner and the lead tech and told them what was going on. The lead opened the tank, smelled it, shook it, slapped the tech on the back of the head and said, "there's no fucking gas in it!". Again, he swore up and down he "just put a gallon of gas in it. Unfuckingreal.

I never trust a dealer's work. I inspect everything before I even swing a leg over the seat.

My friend had his 03 Mean Streak at B&B in Elgin for some minor work and an oil change. Later that season he wanted to change the oil again since he did a few long rides, like 3000k miles total. We couldn't get the filter off to save our lives. They torqued it down so hard he had to take it to back to B&B. Took their mechanic almost 30 minutes to get it off. They swore they "torqued it to spec". Bullshit. No reason for an oil filter to be that tight. Brian (of the B&B) gave my friend a refund on the oil change and a discount on new tires. Sad to see them close, Brian always took care of me.
Do you mean BBK in Elgin?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Gonna have to find another route.

80FF2579-2E95-4C47-B101-A89EA4DA42B1.jpeg

Reactions: Dan00Hawk and Aron

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
I do. I keep thinking of them as Brian and Butch, instead of BBK.
Years and years ago, probably somewhere around 95 or 96, I worked with Brian for a short time before he left at Fox Valley Cycles in Aurora. Back then they were Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki. It was around that time that they dropped Yamaha and Suzuki. That may have been when Brian partnered up and opened BBk, not sure. He was an ok guy, I didn't know him too well. I ran into him at BBK a few times the last year they were open.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
274 miles total. The rain beat me to my house by 15 minutes. Lots of single lane construction on I-55. Got stuck behind a car doing 40mph. There was a parade of cars stacked up behind her well over a mile long. If it weren't for her I'd have beaten the rain. The good news is all the dead bugs that I slaughtered are washed off!

Even with that single lane crap I made it from IL-51 and I-55 (north side of Bloomington) to the NW corner of Carol Stream in an hour and 46 minutes, including a quick stop for gas.

Have to eat and run but I'll post up some photos later. Cruising around 65 mph my 600 turned 46.5 mpg! I was impressed.

Thread Info