🏍️ The Motorcycle Thread

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Soon Bro, I'll buy you a beer
Soon Bro, I'll buy you a beer we will all buy you enough beers so you'll be neck-deep in beer.
giphy.gif

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I used to also have a 1997 Bandit 1200S, which was a GSX-R1100 engine bored over and milder cams put in for more torque. Always felt it could do "more", so worked with the head service person at Lombard Kaw (Ron somethingorother) to come up with a stage 3 kit for it. Basically meant taking off the chrome elephant ears, removing the whole airbox, and slapping on two giant K&N filters (one for each pair of carbs). After a long amount of trial and error ended up with the mains going from 100 (factory) up to 170 and raised the needles a bit to handle all that extra air. Goddamn that sonufabitch had grunt. I swear my arms are in inch longer from just trying to hold on with all that torque.

I used to race my dad, who had a 1998 ZX-11 (stock) and he'd kill me out of the hole. First gear would get me going, second gear could get me going a bit faster, but I couldn't wail on it till I hit third otherwise my (at the time) my 130lbs ass would have flipped the bike. Halfway through third I could match his pace, by fourth I would be catching him and staring to pass. Fifth I would pass him, however I would run out of steam about 145-150 and he would cruise past me on the way to 175mph, in Mexico of couse.

Rolling competition I'd cream him anywhere from 60-130, regardless of gear. It just had so much grunt and a snappy response. If we did top gear roll-ons above 130ish he would walk away from me. I will say that the ZX-11 was sooooo smooth. You could pin the throttle and it would just pull so smoothly. Nothing unexpected about it.

Late one night I was heading home on a wet road and the throttle linkage stuck on something. I hit the kill switch and started to module the brakes but just not enough room/time to get proper avoidance and ended up going head-on into a parked Tahoe about 25-30mph. I sailed over the hood. Bike was destroyed, but I walked away with just a sprained wrist and bruised ago.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I went out for about an hour today, I've been working on it the last couple of days.. New battery, Rerouted my accessory wires and put them on a switch. Changed the oil and gear oil. Also added this bag setup, nice to finally have some storage on this thing.
6ddf21979b7d2b1db5f3479ca78cbe85.jpg
The bags throw off the aesthetics a bit, just like mine do. But damn that's a sharp looking bike, what is it? I like the color.

Reactions: Shocker

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I've got the time slips from Byron lying around somewhere, but on my ZX-10R, running the stock shitty Dunlop 218's I did a corrected 1/4 mile of 9.93 @145. It was end of July, about 90° with 40% humidity and the trap time/speed was like 10.13 @ 139mph. I know if I softened the rear end, strapped down the front, and had better tires I could run faster. But first time running the bike there took some getting used to.

My friend had a 2005 ZX-10R and had a hard time balancing the throttle/feathering the clutch for launching. On one of his passes he knew it was for shit so he short shifted into 3rd, pinned the throttle and pulled back. Rode a wheelie the last 1/8th mile. Still did a respectable 13 seconds for being on one wheel. LOL

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'd be willing to pitch in some $$$ to Mook Mook to increase the max file size :) I am unable to direct post any of my DSLR photos without reducing size or DPI. Granted, this is a car forum website and not a photo hosting site.

Mook Mook, didn't you say there was a [photo] site we could use to load hi-res photos to, then link to them from the thread?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh, look, it's in your Sig, LOL. I'm not a fan of my bags, they're really not as large as they appear and the odd angles make it difficult to pack some things in. IIRC they're Willie & Max bags. I'd like to get some better ones. Have had to replace the snap on these a few times now. But I will say, those two bags along with a backpack was enough storage to carry my necessary items around a five day Lake Superior trip. However those bags are NOT waterproof, as I found out, hahahaha.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm with ya there. No drinking and riding. Learned that after doing some dumb things on that ZX-10R.

We used to go The Tilted Kilt on Lake in Bloomingdale. My riding buddies would constantly hit on this one waitress. My first time there with them and they all order beers or shots and I do a "do you have any lemonade on the gun?" Of course... So I order that. My buddies gave me a good ribbing on not ordering booze and the waitress looked at them, looked at me and said, "Two wheels no booze? I like that. You get to drink for free."

Guess who got to come back later that night and take her out for a midnight cruise? That was a fun eight months.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, the first gen were 04-05. The 04's were so nuts that they changed the mapping on the 05's a bit to calm them down. Didn't do much, but there was a difference when you started to push them.

The two weak points were the crap one-off tires (Dunlop D218) and regardless of how you set up the suspension it was quite prone to tank slappers, so a steering damper was a must. I'd really like to find another blue one, unmolested, but I doubt that will happen. Also possibly looking for a Ducati Monster S4Rs.

Reactions: BS ISF

Thread Info