The Model 3 is the Half Price Model S Tesla REALLY doesn't want you to Buy Right Now

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

the getting out of the car before dying part does seem a little concerning

The rear doors you mean? I heard about that in a review a few weeks ago, and it does give me pause... that’s a few NHSTA complaints away from a recall that simply cannot be fixed is what it feels like.

Everything else I couldn’t care less about being as it’s a new car, from a relatively new car company still.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
So I've straight up bitched about some quality issues they've had here on this very forum. I saw that headline and full on expected serious build quality issues and what I actually got was valid complaints about the rear doors and that's it.

The body panels on my super early rental car were just fine and any gap issues Tesla will gladly adjust at the customer's request. The piece of foam tape on the window sill, really? That's the best you got? This same guy lauded the i3 as a game changer in automobiles and my i3's door glass rattles in the door when it's down yet no mention of that in his i3 video. And the scenario he presented in which rear seat passengers are apparently going to move forward enough after an accident to put the rear seats down and crawl out the trunk before they'd go out the front doors? REALLY? :rofl:

What a load of clickbait. Valid criticism with the rear doors. I would want mechanical releases there and I hope Tesla installs them. But everything else? Give me a break.

The telling part of all of this is the guy's clearly not delivering his information in an unbiased manner. He's emotional and conjuring up scenarios that no reasonable person would ever find themselves in. Not to mention the fact that in that very video they're setting the car up for their main testing which is to say they blew their load before even testing the car. Not entirely professional.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
the other concerns about how to actually get into it or cut power seem pretty valid to me, seems you could definitely see tesla getting sued over these things too

The power trunk issue is a non-issue. All electric cars have these cut points and emergency personnel are trained on their location. BMW and Tesla have documents just for first responders that show these cut points and how to access them. As for the electric frunk, it's pretty well known that anyone can break into a Model S's frunk just by reaching in the front of the car and pulling the emergency release. This solves that problem without really affecting first responders who in the event of an accident would simply pry the hood up. They're not going to sit there with a battery box and jump that.

As far as the rear door mechanical releases go, totally agree. Not sure why they skimped out there. It makes no sense and doesn't seem like it requires any effort at all to implement. For being the "safest car on the road" it's really inexcusable that it doesn't have rear mechanical releases.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info