Drag to reposition cover

BUILD The millenium 3800 turbobird

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I need to move my wideband back up where it was right off the turbo. I did have some leaks at those damn fittings yet so idk if I trust it bein this lean and maybe my damn o2s were reading right even tho I'm not stickin em back in at this point. I'd think it'd be all pissed if it was but, that airflow is lookin pretty nice for 6.68 psi
Snapchat-1173580452.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm way out of fuel pump at roughly 370 and melted my oil feed cuz it sat against my wastegate. Maf numbers are bs cuz I tried fillin in to get what I could. Hopefully it's just that feed line and I can at least put the 3 pound spring in it but I'm sittin here starin at it at the moment for kickin me in the nuts once again. Screenshot_20210522-124338_Video Player.jpg 20210522_123640.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Well, this is where she sat all day after the oil feed line burned. Albeit I had the front wheels on some blocks for a while to get under it. 20210522_230012.jpg

Sure doesn't take much to melt one of these little things and have it make one hell of a mess but maybe it wasn't just my catch can stinkin

20210522_144107.jpg

Anyways that's overkilled with the hydraulic line I used before on my camaro and hopefully fixes my no oil pressure when hot issue too. I just said screw the restrictor my warrantys been shit since I ran a plastic plug through it anyway I spent two hours tryin to find a fitting lost in LA LA land and it doesn't seem to burn oil anymore so crossing my fingers here

Snapchat-1855996238.jpg

Moved my wideband to left bank so I know if it's right at least on one side since motor seems solid all around. Knocked the original battery bolt out and drilled a hole and used a fender nut to get my oem battery hold down back together I couldn't stand the bungee strap anymore and I don't wanna catch any shit for it.

20210522_215934.jpg

I cleaned that up and primered it and threw my new coolant tank in there after the fact. And then I pull the wastegate apart... Snapchat-1527437932.jpg
Some asshole had 15 pounds worth of springs in here 😂😂😂 I really thought I only had 6 in it but this might explain some things even tho the highest my guage registered was 8.25 ever. I went ahead and put a 2.7 in it since it seemed about 6 pounds and 37lbs on the maf was where I was runnin out of fuel. 2.7 to be safe and I'll play with the truboost to see what I can squeeze back out of it on the stock pump.

Really seems right in line. Bout 24lbs/min after rockers and spring and half of baro is pretty close to 370 crank and isn't that where stock pump falls out anyway? Or at least whatever cheap junks in the tank that they replaced the stock pump with? Either way if I can get 3 pounds and floor it I'll be happy until I can tackle the fuel system. And I'll be able to work on my truck so I can go get the dyno and then play as much as I want. Crossing my fingers here gonna take her for a spin in a bit.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Whoa, this thing runs like a brand new car other than either bein too rich or too lean all the time but it's not out of line enough to make it run bad. That's 2.82 on the truboost and way less air movin as expected lot less kr so safer screwin around too. I think she's daily drivable status now other than I can't floor it yet. Got a buddy tellin me it's that fuel pressure regulator bein wide open the way it is and I spose I may as well just got it together and do the 80s and ebay regulator and worry about the pump as I add boost to it. Fun little car to drive now tho it's gonna be a blast when I get this worked out and in the meantime looks like I can add some fuel and maybe I can get my foot in it sooner than I think 20210523_003236.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Found the fuel pressure regulator. Remembered it matched everything else and I thought it looked bare over there earlier. So now it has to go on :ROFLMAO: 20210523_011917.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Well. I cleaned alot more up under the hood got rid of some unneeded wiring and straighten out vac lines and got the regulator in. Set base pressure with vac line off of the regulator and plugged at 43.5 at idle thinkin that's what injectors are rated at so that's what it should be. Apparently I'm way wrong or this thing opened up way more than I was ready for cuz I've got alot of work to do on my tune now. I'm guessin it's mostly gonna be in the flow rates tho the maf will only get it so close and the ve table just makes it hang in spots and kinda bitchy.
Screenshot_20210524-001624_Gallery.jpg

Got it out and made a pull. Other than bein loaded down and puttin my boost controller in wrong its ran great with no kr so I I'm thinkin cool maybe I can stomp it and run a couple gears. Wrong again. Damn 60e tried to hang in first kr'd all to hell and tossed the belt on me. Knew it the second the steering got hard and the guage light came on. So here I am windows down heater on blast hood cracked overfill tank specklin my windshield babyin it home again thankful I've got a good battery in it and I left the washer fluid tank in it. 20210524_004553.jpg
Least the belt was still there tho so I don't have to dick around with that again and it didn't break off the ect or the wiring 20210524_004931.jpg

Airflows lookin good on it and I would think that to be fairly accurate on stock maf and stock table since I went back to that to try and have a baseline for the fuel.
20210524_004847.jpg 20210524_005234.jpg
But at least I got back just in time to beat the short lived downpour that rolled through
20210524_010516.jpg

All in all it's progress I guess. Just always seems to be 3 more things waitin behind the one I'm tryin to fix. In a way I'm super thankful for all these curveballs though. No better way to learn than to deal with it and the experience is invaluable with a dyne on the way. Tuning trucks out would've never come close to comparing to what this cars taught me.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Hustled my ass over to get the last pass of the night and at least I beat up an old diesel Ford. 1/8 felt pretty good but I let out of it way early and my fuels still a disaster. Held 12.0 wot at 6.57 psi and I guess I shoulda been in the 13s so im not complaining too much.

birds first pass tho hell yeah! Snapchat-2120840590.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Awesome you got a pass in. I was just looking at the schedule, and it looks like the end of June is about the next time they really have open racing.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Awesome you got a pass in. I was just looking at the schedule, and it looks like the end of June is about the next time they really have open racing.
Yep the 26th is next scheduled test and tune but maybe if we're lucky they'll let us make passes between rounds at funny car chaos.

They opened up passes about 530 last night the diesel show must've got slow. I didn't think I'd make it so I zipped it to the gas station and back, half-assed the speed density, figured it was good enough and flew through the gates straight up to the staging lanes next to that old 7.3. I had no prep time whatsoever and this thing laid down a burnout and took off way better than I figured it would so it caught me by surprise and I let out as soon as I hit the signs which is apparently too soon :ROFLMAO: I know its far from breakin any records but for fightin this fuel issue I was super stoked she held together as good as she did and nothin broke. Just gettin it down the track was a big goal I'd set for myself and clearin that was good enough for me.

Now I just gotta try and keep up with your car :ROFLMAO:

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Really kind of a bucket list thing to get down the track one time in an old f body from high school.

I gotta thank you guys again for the help and support for sure.

I got pissy with the fuel pressure regulator when I got home tho so I sloppy painted one of my rails with a good stock fpr in it. Gonna try that and see if I can get it back in line. No matter what I tweak, injectors, maf, or map nothin really gets it to where it needs to be. I can get close but itl throws everything else off and takin shots in the dark at the flow rates to get it in line already had me flatlined at 86 across the board just to get it to this point and that's definitely not the way to tune it.

Boutta run to menards and see if I can find a power cable that'll work for this dyno and see how much better holeshot is than hptuners.

Also GTPpower GTPpower still more than welcome to come down and take a dyno ride any time, I'd probably learn a few things. Snapchat-1408125917.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
You can send me your tune if you want and I can look at it.
I'll shoot it over when I get back to the house but I just kinda screwed around with it til I got idle and wot at decent levels. I tried to command it closed and go with the maf but yet again it just buried rich as usual even without o2s and it seemed like I just couldn't get it to cooperate. I'm really thinkin it's in that fpr or I've got somethin else goin on cuz flow rates were the best way to get it to respond and it really wanted to whack the ve table. you'd think it'd be close to where it was at stock base pressure but nope lol

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I'll shoot it over when I get back to the house but I just kinda screwed around with it til I got idle and wot at decent levels. I tried to command it closed and go with the maf but yet again it just buried rich as usual even without o2s and it seemed like I just couldn't get it to cooperate. I'm really thinkin it's in that fpr or I've got somethin else goin on cuz flow rates were the best way to get it to respond and it really wanted to whack the ve table. you'd think it'd be close to where it was at stock base pressure but nope lol
We are heading out here in a bit, but I can look at it later tonight.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So I've been dickin with this thing last couple days to try and get a pull on the dyno before anyone else. I'd have had it sorted out if I'd have just left 60s in instead of goin to 80s when I swapped the rail. I can get it dialed in perfect for corn but it's got pump in it and I just wanna get it goin. Done aloy of little things like hooking up the boost controller and gone through a bunch of tunes for people tho. Got the rail half torn off of it as soon as I get it goin should be a party.
IMG_20210602_185009_877.jpg Snapchat-221096639.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
Yeah you'll either have to rig up a strobe circuit to trigger the dino pick up or you're going to have to use one of the tach driver adapters that automater sells to be able to trigger the dino off of your ICM.

Or go with ls coils

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Yeah you'll either have to rig up a strobe circuit to trigger the dino pick up or you're going to have to use one of the tach driver adapters that automater sells to be able to trigger the dino off of your ICM.

Or go with ls coils
I would love to single coil it someday but I might as well go squirt on it if I do. I'll just use the obd2 rpm pickup it was late and I was actually nice to the neighbors for once. Pry run her to town for fuel then bang on it all day 😂

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Anddd Turbocharged400sbc Turbocharged400sbc was absolutely correct about not putting the catch can into the intake. And now im hopin an oil change will get the squealing woodpecker out from under the hood but I'm pretty sure it's time to yank the other 3.8 out of the camaro or go back to it for a while 😂😂😂

Side note that turbo is still guzzling oil and its so thin from being rich I may have a chance so I'll probably try changing it and put the t70 back on it.

I don't feel a bit bad tho my fuel was good my spark was good and there was nothin I could see in the tune that should've ate it's lunch. It actually died after I took the catch can back off of it but as much blow by and as many miles as this thing had I'm not a bit surprised to see it die. But I'm bout 100% she spun a main lol

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
That's one of the things that has me thinking about putting an inline filter for the turbo. TRs engine has had like 3 PSI oil pressure hot at idle forever and can never die.
But if it ever does I'd love to save the turbo
Transaxles are a different matter

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Looks to me like everything was at least close so that makes me feel alot better about it. It coulda used some fine tuning and dialing in the decel but I'm pretty sure that bottom end was just done and the washed down oil in it didn't help matters.

I finally got it by dialing in fuel with ifrs instead of the maf, tried to leave it a lil rich it's actually commanded to 12

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom