Drag to reposition cover

BUILD The millenium 3800 turbobird

TurboTJ

Regular
Reaction score
Also fellow Nebraska person is cool to see especially with this project. GTPower and i are old friends and ive been in and out of the 3800 stuff. But i buy and sell stuff to often for it to matter lol

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Also fellow Nebraska person is cool to see especially with this project. GTPower and i are old friends and ive been in and out of the 3800 stuff. But i buy and sell stuff to often for it to matter lol
Nice! If your friends with that guy your alright in my book for sure. I'm a little further out west and you really don't see anybody build these here but they've all heard of em. It's like havin a unicorn or somethin so nobody ever has anything bad to say about it but then again not too many can build turbo cars either and I'm not entirely sure I can sometimes 😂

I'm gettin more and more into the ls stuff lately but this cars bout the only thing that doesn't have a price tag on it around here thats for sure :ROFLMAO:

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210510-194554_Video Player.jpg

Ok it's better now. Jammed the vortec iat in a half tapped egr port with a lil stick weld and jammed the last lil bit in the purge valve, put a new map sensor and gasket in it that was leakin bad no wonder it ran like ass idk what happened there and maybe rolled the motor over a lil to make sure it's not sending it through a valve or somethin and we're good to 10 pounds anyway.

Also idk if I mentioned it but I discovered the short oil pressure sending unit to be the idiot light version thats an on off switch at 7 psi. No wonder my gauge just buried when I started it lol. So I'm gonna rework a better angle on that tee for the longer sender clean up my heater core lines and finish runnin my catch can, to atmosphere. That crazy twincharged guy is always right if I like it or not anyway and if Im not gonna do it right it don't deserve to be here either.

And then I'd have to stop makin fun of clowns on fb and I'm just not havin it :ROFLMAO:

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
crap i forgot about that, shit

some of those long sensors are 4 wire with a fuel pump switch activated by oil pressure with the pressure sensor on the other two pins.

sometimes the iat intergral MAF's are kinda nice for simplifying stuff

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
crap i forgot about that, shit

some of those long sensors are 4 wire with a fuel pump switch activated by oil pressure with the pressure sensor on the other two pins.

sometimes the iat intergral MAF's are kinda nice for simplifying stuff
I never would've thought if that either. I did think I shoulda updated to an iat maf but it's whatever placement is right behind throttle body so other than heat soak it should at least be fairly accurate. I'm just gonna jam one of the two oem sensors back in it and if the needles somewhere in between nothing and everything I'm gonna call it good. I'm just glad it's holding now and I didn't screw somethin up somewhere as deep as I've been in it so far.

Gonna be for real tho I still question myself alot. But I'm not sure why, I was splittin cases to fix gears in old xl Hondas and husquvarnas at 13 and doin crank bearings on 292 inlines for irrigation service at 15. Playin with a wankel at 16 and had half an electronics tech degree done at 18 and then ended up wasting half my life in farm tires to finally come back to where I was as a kid. Funny how things work I guess

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Today, is not my day. But the oil pressure sender works all the way down to zero now...

Finished up heater core lines, I think, put the intercooler back together, snapped a clamp, had two sets of wheels for my truck get kicked back when I've got tires on the way for it. Then this.

I forgot to put the drain back on the turbo. And you'd be surprised how much oil it really moves through there. Maybe not but hopefully I can't put that on and fill it back up with oil and be ok. Was still pushin alot of blow by out and idling like shit but seemed to mellow out after I held a higher idle for a bit and there it smoothed out. Only had torque on it so no data. Least the downpipe sounded awesome for a lil bit before it kicked me in the nuts again.

I had to take a minute to cuss at myself on this one.
Screenshot_20210513-141112_Gallery.jpg

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Well damn. Hopefully your engine is ok. A guy from Sioux falls had the return fall off on him while driving down the road and fried everything.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It wasnt makin funny noises or anything so im sure it's fine. If not the power steering rack isn't fucked in the camaro so I guess I'll pull that k member and start over. Was gonna ls one of em anyway. More pissed at myself than anything

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It took a quart of marvel and a couple quarts of 15w40 so it wasn't completely dry at least :ROFLMAO:

Doesn't wanna go into closed loop but she sounds pretty good off the map sensor anyway. Doesn't seem to be blowin oil out of the turbo anymore either thank god but I'm guessin she's tired. Alot of blowby and not much vacuum til she gets warmed up lol.

Idk if your in the 3800 fb group but I threw a quick video up in there

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I see that. I need to find a better way to host em. Maybe YouTube or somethin then I'll just put dyno pulls on it too

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So, I go to see how bad this dipstick grommets gonna make me cuss and I find at least one broken wire hangin...maybe my closed loop issue? Looks like black and red and I know it's a shitty pic but that's close to where factory o2 would tie into the harness. I just remember o2 colors bein purple pink and brown tho. 20210514_101609.jpg

Also I swear it's losin coolant somewhere unless it's workin bubbles out but everything's wet down there from all this screwin around so I guess time will tell on that.

Anyways I'm gettin real close to takin it for a drive.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
And also this wrench, I got a whole set of em, but this one, this one is life.
20210514_102537.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So, I go to see how bad this dipstick grommets gonna make me cuss and I find at least one broken wire hangin...maybe my closed loop issue? Looks like black and red and I know it's a shitty pic but that's close to where factory o2 would tie into the harness. I just remember o2 colors bein purple pink and brown tho. View attachment 89170

Also I swear it's losin coolant somewhere unless it's workin bubbles out but everything's wet down there from all this screwin around so I guess time will tell on that.

Anyways I'm gettin real close to takin it for a drive.
Nevermind it's for my boost controller 🙄

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Who in the hell puts an o2 sensor right here where the damn thing shoves the wires straight into the.....oh ya...oops. Snapchat-947720622.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Back to the o2 sensor bs. With stock values in maf from 3000hz down to nothin fueling is dead nuts in open loop. Found some backwards wires in the o2s and got pissy and started hooking both sides to one sensor to try and simplify things but I think I've got my signal wires crossed I'll have to check in a while. She either goes dead lean or dead rich depending on how I mess with it but that sensor has to read right bein straight off the turbo...

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So I guess my question is tho, if I don't get this stupid o2 situation sorted out does this thing still prioritize the maf over map? Because it seemed to respond pretty well to messin with it and I've got no issue at all sayin screw the o2s and dialin it in off the wideband

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Finally off the lift albeit still on the ve table. Tried wiring both sides into one sensor and tried movin it back in pre turbo as well but that didn't make much difference. I just don't understand what's makin it think it's lean its the same kinda nonsense as the other car and apparently it's my curse to figure out.

She's gotta be sealed up tight tho on 3psi she's makin 35lbs on the maf easily by barely touching the pedal. Just don't dare get into it anymore.

If I can't figure it out I guess I'll just bust out the powertuner and fail the lt and st trims and go from there but she seems to be wantin to go and there's not a pool of fluids underneath it so it's progress anyway. Snapchat-665254962.jpg Snapchat-1999608998.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
My recent O2 sensor headaches on the Cressida were directly related to poor power/ ground performance with my GM pcm

Because the O2 sensor heater circuit didn't have enough voltage for the PC M to continue operating because of voltage drop the p c m disabled the O2 sensor feedback and heaters.

It's part of the low voltage / alternator is dying get the customer to their house limp mode managment

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
That could very well be but voltage didn't seem to be much issue. It's almost identical to the problems I had in the camaro

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
My recent O2 sensor headaches on the Cressida were directly related to poor power/ ground performance with my GM pcm

Because the O2 sensor heater circuit didn't have enough voltage for the PC M to continue operating because of voltage drop the p c m disabled the O2 sensor feedback and heaters.

It's part of the low voltage / alternator is dying get the customer to their house limp mode managment
I think I had a similar issue on my 04 with the crap ZZP extension harness. All the sudden my wideband would peg lean and the car would chug until restart. Shit was that annoying til I replaced it.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
See this isn't lean tho unless my widebands way off and I just don't see 1.9s and a turbo changing idle fueling that much. Although the wideband is consistently 1 or 2 points off commanded...dammit maybe the things right

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom