Drag to reposition cover

BUILD The millenium 3800 turbobird

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
My rustbucket 00 y87 firebird

Factory 10 bolt 3.42 posi rear end (auto v6 only thing iirc gu6 rpo code)

4l60e which should be able to handle things at least a lil better than the t5 with an 80s s10 converter for a stall a vette servo and a cooler.

Factory dual exhaust not like thats stayin on there.

It actually functions in closed loop correctly but the intake gaskets are definitely gone.

Most everything functions as it should on this car its definitely had some farmer fixes but nothin I've come across has scared me too much yet. Factory monsoon system but the original radio came in a plastic bag.

The guy was super nice and his daughter drove this thing for quite some time I believe but they were super quick to fix the title when it didn't fly and mechanically it seems to have been given what it needs just maybe in small town shop or backyard ways.I really dig the hole cut in the back for the fuel pump and the license plate cover over it. And the mudflaps on the front thats the best.

Anyways here we go again. Time to tear down the red one and do this the way I should've the first time. Plans are to keep ac this time may have to see if there's some lines out there I can use to relocate the evaporator thing or whichever one that is under the hood. I can do ac its just words are hard sometimes lol

Already got a 99 bird file unlocked in another pcm to just drop in swap some tables dial it in and hopefully get this one to do what the other one refused to. I mean I guess it could've but I'd rather have a backup than blow it up for no reason.

This one just feels right. Not to mention it matches everything else I've owned in the past 5 years unlike that obnoxious catfish I'm still irritated with. Let's hope it keeps that energy.

Snapchat-352834046.jpg

Snapchat-1937129321.jpg

Snapchat-1542048012.jpg

Snapchat-2080278754.jpg

Snapchat-1806846199.jpg

Snapchat-1663995861.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
This cars already got alot better feel to it being in the shop. So much so that I've decided to just fire everything at it. It might not make it faster but last time I went into it with the shitbox mentality and it showed. I'm actually startin with a decent car other than the rust this time and we all know these things aren't worth anything anyway so, why not make it as nice as I can and have it be somethin to be proud of. Maybe it's a Pontiac thing.

Peeled the old film off, blew all the dust out with the leaf blower, wiped her down good with acetone and sealed her up nice hopin to keep some dirt and rattles out and capitalize on those factory monsoon door speakers I may as well toss back in since I'm not hunting down brackets for the 6.5s on the shelf. I'll get at the passenger side tomorrow. Might actually be able to roll this one thru the car wash thatd be neat lol.

Also found a funny surprise underneath the duck taped console lid that embodies absolutely everything about a v6 bird that was chick driven back in the day

Mostly I think I just forgot how nice it is to have the shop cleaned up and be able to just go for what I want instead of spinnin circles all night.
Snapchat-1755986355.jpg
Snapchat-1035792603.jpg

Attachments

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
That rust doesn't look bad at all compared to my car. lol I like the bird better anyway. Maybe a fresh start will do some good.

Also, the AC part under the hood next to your battery is called an accumulator. Some people will use the terms "accumulator" and "receiver/drier" interchangeably, but that drives me a bit crazy. Since you have a fixed orifice tube system with the desiccant on the gaseous suction line, it's called an accumulator. A receiver/drier goes in a TXV system on the high pressure liquid line.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I like the bird better too don't see as many people doin this to them plus it's my color.

Receiver dryer there ya go. I struggle with words sometimes, it's all up in my head but it gets goin so fast it comes out all dumb and makes me sound like an idiot most of the time but ya I'm lookin at that tryin to decide if I should try and tweak those lines or look into gettin different ones and movin it altogether.

Plan on tryin to flip the turbo and goin over the header and back down. Seen a couple builds that way and I think if I can bend that ac line back towards the radiator i can get past it and keep it intact. Without the t tops thats somethin I'd really like to keep especially when the kids will be cruising with me 95 percent of the time.

Fresh start is what I needed I think. Clearing out the pile of stuff I had to sort through constantly just to find the wrench I was lookin for definitely didn't help things in the frustration department not to mention being able to start with everything in working order and having solid doors makes me feel alot better about what im doin here. You can realllllyyy tell the difference between a car a girl took pride in having and a car that got passed thru a couple dudes and had the hell beat out of it. Wish I'd have just left the interior alone but at the same time I'm happy to have pulled it out so I could get the carpets cleaned up nice and get 20 years of dirt and glitter out from under the seats lol. Plus I'm thinkin that sound mat should really help one of these old rattle things out alot and I got a big enough box ill probably do every noisy rattly thing I can. I'm givin this car everything I wanted to in the other before it beat those dreams out of me.

Also the newer exhaust manifolds look wayyyy better than the 98s. I think I'm eventually gonna take those along with the old murdered y pipe and fab up a setup for the old t70 to stay on the red one. Surely I can get it sorted out to hold on the gate again if I get that far.

Front pinion seal on this rear end is leaking so I haven't decided if I should fix that or pull the 3.42s out of it and put in the other axle. Probably the seal tho. Factory shocks are hideous wtfff. Never knew how janky those were since my camaro already has some sort of coil overs on it and while these are still good and there's no bounce in em I think upgrades are gonna be necessary. Torque arm is somehow tweaked pretty good on this one but after crawling under it I'm not entirely sure the red one even has one...guess I'll be throwin my qa1 on it and deciding what to do with shocks later.

Motor is leaaakkkyyyy. I think it's a combination between intake and valve covers but I have all the gaskets for it anyway and I'm just gonna toss the 1.9s and springs in while I've got it apart. Should be able to whip this one out pretty quick once I get goin on it I think and be ready to run it.

Drag wheels showed up yesterday ill be runnin 26x10.5s on her when they show up didn't wanna go any bigger and stress the drivetrain.

All in all I'm stoked with what im finding so far. Tranny was replaced recently and not a leak on it or a hiccup from what I've driven of it so that gives me a good feeling too. I've seen there's a way to build one of these up to a 4l65? That may be somethin I wanna look into here but at least I'm out of the t5 life.

Got my sponsorship at the track handled and got plates for her today so it should be one awesome summer

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Crazy day yesterday didn't get much done but got some time in today in between things and decided screw it im usin the whole box. Got a friend workin on gettin a detail business off the ground so I've got her deep cleanin the carpets while I've got the seats out. I don't think I'm screwin around this time my sophomore build is just flowin and things are clicking this time. It's a beautiful thing when it isn't a fight.

Catch me throwin the seats and panels back in this thing tonight and driving the kids to school in it in the morning. If it wasn't gettin late I'd slap the zo6 knockoffs on it to boot. Guess there's always tomorrow tho
Snapchat-434218159.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
And the dirty birds goin to town on the ugly wheels. Whoever made the hooks on the door panels can kiss all of my ass, but she doesn't clean up half bad
Snapchat-1763554086.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
If you don't feel any pinion movement/yoke wiggle, just replace the pinion seal...
RTV the outside of it and just don't install it all the way to make sure that the sealing lips ride on a good part of the yolk without grooves.
You can also use some 80 grit sandpaper and give a quick scruff pattern that would force oil into the differential while the drive shaft is rotating in the forward Direction (achimedes screw, hed be proud id think to know his creation is so usefull for cheap mechanics...dont you?)

Dude pull the engine and do the rear cover gasket as well.

BF bodies are well known for high underhood temps and more than 50% of the rear covers I've pulled off were leaking oil or coolant internally or externally depending on which way the coin toss landed...

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
If you don't feel any pinion movement/yoke wiggle, just replace the pinion seal...
RTV the outside of it and just don't install it all the way to make sure that the sealing lips ride on a good part of the yolk without grooves.
You can also use some 80 grit sandpaper and give a quick scruff pattern that would force oil into the differential while the drive shaft is rotating in the forward Direction (achimedes screw, hed be proud id think to know his creation is so usefull for cheap mechanics...dont you?)

Dude pull the engine and do the rear cover gasket as well.

BF bodies are well known for high underhood temps and more than 50% of the rear covers I've pulled off were leaking oil or coolant internally or externally depending on which way the coin toss landed...
Man you know your my hero alot right? That's not a bad thought probably should pull the one on the red one too. I know she's got an assload of wheel hop put the zo6 wheels on today cuz those old Coopers on here had to be comin apart. To my surprise the brake rotors are still good with new pads and it had brand new front wheel bearings to boot. Startin to think they just dumped more and more money at it til the intake went and they finally said hell with it.

Ran a scan on it on the way into town this afternoon and it does all sorts of weird shit. Krs at barely cruising like 13% throttle and pulls back like 14 degrees to -5 really for no reason at all. But under throttle 0 kr whatsoever. Accel pedal never sees past 55.7% so im guessing there's some torque management goin involved here or a bad pedal. 0 codes in this thing at all 19.5 on the maf which I figure is pretty close to what stock should be. Seems to only be one o2 sensor on this that I'm pickin up but I haven't dug into it mechanically yet. Savin that for one big ordeal I guess.

Ac doesn't blow cold but I'm betting it.just needs a charge and if not ive got a good compressor on the other one. Took it through the car wash and only leak was your typical back of the door window seal so pretty happy there. Sounds like its got an exhaust tick to it and I'm wondering if it doesn't have some pretty good blow by at 265k and a catch can won't take care of some of the leaks anyway. Not that it won't be gettin gasketed anyway. Intake leak really seems to be all external no smoke no spittin just lil rough on startup but.thats probably mostly because fuel pumps been replaced and I don't wait for it to build pressure lol.

Need to put the other 7440 in it with that stock bird file and see where its at and go from there as far as that goes but I'm not touching the tune too much until I get some things done. That 19.5 lbs was 80% on the poor stock injectors.

As for the heat that's one thing the bird has goin the catfish didn't. While the 6 car isn't exactly ram air the openings are at least still there directed towards the airbox and once.thats out of there all that airflow should be directed straight at the throttle body and turbo hopefully helping in that dept.

Tranny feels good and is on point so that gives me a good feeling. Got a pretty firm shift to it already I think the y87 may have gotten the vette servo stock but I don't know without doin some diggin. I pry wasted money there as usual lol

Bout got the interior all done except for the screen ill pry put in tonight and cruise it around a bit more to see what else comes out of her and really hit it hard next weekend. Tint, quote on a windshield and revealing the back window comin next week sometime.

I'd do it this weekend but I decided to schedule an 8 inch lift and tune on a gen5 1500 for some boys from out of town so I wanna get that out of my way before I get this torn all apart if at all possible.

Dang she's startin to look good tho. Kids like it better than the catfish and she just feels right. Pretty glad I made the switch for the time being anyway. Really couple hundred bucks she'd have been in alot better shape than most of the stuff her age comparatively so I don't think I've got a whole lot to complain about with this one even if I was just gonna leave it a cruiser
Screenshot_20210304-181344_Instagram.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
yeah groves in the yoke are pretty common. if ya wanna get really fancy lookup a sealsaver seal and sleeve kit that you install over the yoke with locktite....they work (the axle saver kits were great for axles with gacked bearing surfaces, they moved the bearing and seal outboard so the bearing rode on a good portion of the axle shaft.

dude, i seriously think your likely seeing voltage drop issues omn the red car, though im deff not a fan of the wiring knot that gm has at the rear of the passenger head. seems a terrible way to do the harness. personally id suggest doing as i do and strip all the harness of tape/sheath and relayout the harness in a far more numerous bunch of octopus arms. most of the time your only having to screw with power or ground splices to be able to run the wires the way ya want, this also lets you run new dedicated grounds/power cirvuits to feed direct alternator V power to the ICM/inj/pcm as well as the fuel pump.

next time im up at harry's ill try n remember to printout some F body pinouts with the sweet MOTOR/alldata color diagrams... (theyve greatly improved their shit since i was a full time tech, much better layouts.

i should probably have em in my collection anyways,

pictures of printouts of pinouts, say it three times fast

Turbocharged400sbc

Reaction score
when you delete lots of the uneccessaryss, you end up pretty minimalist, here's the 04 pcm stuff splitup into arms, everything is ran down low except for the inj/map/maf/tb stuff. so many wires wre looped back on themselves i only extended maybe 15 wires on each engine's's's harness to be able to rerout them entirely. most of my time was in splitting the power and ground splices for g100/101/102

took about the same amount of time as it took to unwrap the fucking thing, though your likely to be lucky as it'll all just crumble from the heat.....id bet you ya might even find your electrical woes somewhere where someone got to enthusiastic with a prybar getting the engine lift bracket out of the way of the lim when doing the lim gaskets in book time....

remember they designed the harness to have everything on the drivetrain and then just lower the body onto the cradle and screw it together, dont be afraid to fix a mass production compromise that was likely in the hands of the beancounters....

Got a good bit of Plumbing sorted out. the stand-alone fuel cell is fairly sorted out...

plenty of room to start assembling the front body work with the new stands under it..... sharp eyes will notice the factory 06 GXP horns and bracket that fit perfectly in an unusable area between the trans and fuel cell....without any modification. So now we do have parts from a GXP on the car along with dozens of others.

Plenty of room for the nitrous solenoids.....

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
when you delete lots of the uneccessaryss, you end up pretty minimalist, here's the 04 pcm stuff splitup into arms, everything is ran down low except for the inj/map/maf/tb stuff. so many wires wre looped back on themselves i only extended maybe 15 wires on each engine's's's harness to be able to rerout them entirely. most of my time was in splitting the power and ground splices for g100/101/102

took about the same amount of time as it took to unwrap the fucking thing, though your likely to be lucky as it'll all just crumble from the heat.....id bet you ya might even find your electrical woes somewhere where someone got to enthusiastic with a prybar getting the engine lift bracket out of the way of the lim when doing the lim gaskets in book time....

remember they designed the harness to have everything on the drivetrain and then just lower the body onto the cradle and screw it together, dont be afraid to fix a mass production compromise that was likely in the hands of the beancounters....
That's definitely my ultimate plan I just got burned out for the moment and needed to go a different direction. Those pinouts would be awesome but they do actually have em listed in the haynes book if you track down the schematics. The other thing I thought it might be is those led taillights cuz the o2s do share power with stop lights for whatever reason. In that sense independently wiring everything would be worth it for sure. I really do think it's inside the car tho it's got the lovely bcm gremlins, the thing with the blower motor,and then the cig lighter tryin to fry everything. I think I left that unhooked tho. Have a zzp voltage booster but that doesn't seem to make a difference either way

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm over here bitchin bout wires on the other one just crimping away at a screen I really could kick myself some days

Snapchat-534845747.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Ok so maybe I still have a sawzall problem but I plan on wrapping the dash for that crunchy spot anyway might as well do that trim piece while I'm at it and make this a half decent install. Biiggg impressed with the monsoon speakers (not sure if I can attribute that to the eq or the soundmat) legit sounds like somebody stuck a 10" sub from the 90s in the hatch. Can't wait to toss the two out of the camaro back there

....and uh 60 bucks, came with a backup camera I need to get ran and I can mirror torque from my phone or tablet when I don't have the laptop on it to keep an eye on her. That's basically how I'm justifying it to myself this time lol. But really I'd drop a 20 dollar bluetooth special in anything to not deal with an aux cord or have to listen to the commercials or radio jockey talkin bout whatever the governments takin away todayView attachment 82727
Snapchat-1086337613.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Alright lil bit lost here but not terrible. Swapped my unlocked box with my 99 vin bired that should be identical. Gained .6 lbs on the maf with just that and idle is way better. Car runs and idles excellent now where it wasn't bad before but it wasn't great. Still has that weird ass kr down low and it really is rollin back almost 15 degrees for no reason under no load unless that's the intake gaskets messin with things. I find that hard to believe tho when under wot and normal driving it's a max of 2.6 and rolls down like it's supposed to. Not a single mis hesitation or anything. Maybe I got a loose connection that wiggles at cruise only idk but I kinda wanna point it to my accel pedal maxxing at 55.6% which I would understand had I not maxed out torque on tcs and failed the abuse management. Unless there's somethin I'm missin here I'm kinda feelin like this thing may need a relearn and I don't have a throttle body button in scanner like I did on my 98.

I'm gonna throw up a compare file to the 00 and see what differences it could be but it definitely did the same before flashing this box in it was just 57 instead of 55. Wtffff. I mean injectors are at 86% but I don't see any reason for it to be pulling back by any means I guess. Am I dumb and its working right or what's goin on anything else I never have an issue takin a few things back and gettin it to go full pedal

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
So pedal was tweaked keepin it from goin full. Some dumbass broke the plastic clippy thing gettin shitty with bendin it back. I'm gettin the rest of it one way or another

Snapchat-2102514777.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
It woulda held fine. But even with full throw sensor maxed at 66% so i had to get a tested used one off ebay. Rockauto was the only place that even listed one and it was delayed. Not even gm vin lookup had it or trying to find it by rockauto part # blows mine mind there's pry ten in the junkyard but I'm not wasting my time rollin dice for a good one. Tired of this electrical bullshit

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
I'm guessing that attributed to the kr because it seemed to coincide with a spot on the low end of the pedal so crossing my fingers.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
You guys ever wake up kinda pissed at yourselves over these things, like maybe you woke up a few hundred bucks shorter than you were last night, and now all the sudden you have the idea you can weld rockers in and paint things yourself with like no experience at it but you have friends that do body to ask stupid questions. And maybe got side skirts to cover it up if it looks like ass? Dammit brad.

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Well. I didn't get the car in like I wanted but got some damn good inspiration from that badass tkx build over yonder to finally grab some scraps out back and make some ramps for my scissor lift. I get so sick of bangin my k member on that puller for the safety latch it's not even funny. Had a freakin mint 71' w30 442 bang the front axle into this thing one time and I'm glad it was the owner driving. That should've been enough to do this but now its my idea I guess idk.

As usual I took it too far and buried myself a few hundred further (knowing I'll make it back fast and then some) on old school turntables and camber guages since nobody does shit but halfass camber set toe and send it anymore anyway. Stupid to bang on set after set of shoes and not pocket a lil more to twist a tie rod and get em to drop it off. Bets on how close I can get to a hunter machine with a magnetic level a couple of tapes and some ebay toe plates?

And that sunset was sick
Snapchat-667022325.jpg
IMG_20210308_184752_480.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Not much to report tonight. Started poking around underneath her and oils seepin out of every seam on this thing so I'm guessin the pcv is plugged on it or its got some serious blowby, power steering rack bleeds like a stuck hog. Intakes pushin out brown ass dexcool, looks like it's got a new lower hose and a ghetto fitting they hose clamped in the line to try and flush it, new alternator, fresh trans, new alternator wires coils and I would assume plugs as well, skinny injectors idk if those are stock or replacements but they aint like the pile of fattys I got layin around. Decent pads and rotors. Napa gold filter and legend premium battery tho. I'm feelin like they fired the parts cannon so hard on somethin so obvious here. Even tho fuel trims are pretty ok between the intake and the pedal and the brown coolant but I'm not bitchin bout all the rest of this stuff I'd have pry needed it anyway. Just kinda feel bad and like this car nickel and dimed em and some mechanic or parts store made out the ass and they just finally gave up on it.

Super solid to drive around feels like a dang nice car now, although I decided I needed umi track and panhard bars and a pair of konis for the rear, yank the lowering springs out of the back of the read one.....maybe the whole damn k member motor and all just swap intakes or pin the iac and tps and os to this car.... since the racks a mess in this one and I rebuilt the tie rods and ball joints on the other already...and since I think I'm just stupid and it was probably that bolt the whole time on that car...and cuz I gotta do a converter anyway...maybe then I can put the camaro back together decent and just sell it...it has to be this car tho. I like this one and the other one feels like trash now so ya. I need to stop Dickin around and get on it I've got a month to hit track timeView attachment 83104
Screenshot_20210310-004707_Facebook.jpg

OP
RdRnnR

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Track day is getting close!
Between work and kids and this I gotta look again to make sure, keepin track of things is hard sounds like they'll be burnin rubber up this weekend. Was gonna try and help do that but I ended up bookin an afternoon vroom vroom date with a 17 gmc on 35s I wanna take the time to do right.

17th, got another thing I've been a long time supporter of goin on that weekend thats always a hell of a good time and for a damn good cause. Hope you can make it down GTPpower GTPpower, hope I can get my ass in gear enough to put down a solid pass and don't embarass myself. Hope my damn mickeys get here soon.

Almost forgot I broke down on a quantum 450 pump to push corn. Siemens claims you can stretch the 60s to 87 psi and flow rates should get me close to that 500ish mark if I can get it there. Stock lines gonna take that if I put my fpr in and let it eat or am I gonna need to dick around and get some more an line comin fast?
FB_IMG_1615392173999.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom