The Mid Engine Corvette is happening

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I dont think the C8 will be a pushrod engine thats why it sounds so different.

GM has both DOHC V8s and DOHC V6s coming under the new "Blackwing" engine program.

I bet the mid engine car gets versions of both depending on trim.

Psst I smell a 550hp DOHC "Blackwing" Escalade coming too.

flat plane crank would be interesting, perhaps an exhaust system that's cross bank so it sounds like a flat plane crank.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
flat plane crank would be interesting, perhaps an exhaust system that's cross bank so it sounds like a flat plane crank.

I don't think we'd get that based on the extra cost for the exhaust system.

However, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they move to a Hot-V setup to increase turbo efficiency and tighter packaging in the generations that follow this DOHC engine.

As for a flat-plane? While I love it, the one LS engine that was posted people hated. I don't think they'll do it though. Just being mid-engined is going to cause all those old farts to put down their corvette branded mugs, adjust their corvette branded jackets, and stand up out of their corvette branded lawn chairs in anger.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think we'd get that based on the extra cost for the exhaust system.

However, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they move to a Hot-V setup to increase turbo efficiency and tighter packaging in the generations that follow this DOHC engine.

As for a flat-plane? While I love it, the one LS engine that was posted people hated. I don't think they'll do it though. Just being mid-engined is going to cause all those old farts to put down their corvette branded mugs, adjust their corvette branded jackets, and stand up out of their corvette branded lawn chairs in anger.

Exhaust tuning is a HUGE for a flat plane. I'm assuming that Corvette, that they swapped the flat plane crank into, had standard headers/manifolds. For flat planes to sound right, they need specific runner lengths to make them sound "right". If you don't it sounds like two Hondas humping because of the inherent qualities of the flat plane crank, whereas we American's are more used to the odd fire V8 that basically every other V8 has.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Exhaust tuning is a HUGE for a flat plane. I'm assuming that Corvette, that they swapped the flat plane crank into, had standard headers/manifolds. For flat planes to sound right, they need specific runner lengths to make them sound "right". If you don't it sounds like two Hondas humping because of the inherent qualities of the flat plane crank, whereas we American's are more used to the odd fire V8 that basically every other V8 has.

Mr Roboto meant using a cross plane plank V8 with 180° headers to make it sound like a Flat Plane crank.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Mr Roboto meant using a cross plane plank V8 with 180° headers to make it sound like a Flat Plane crank.

Oooohhhh

giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The mid engine Corvette will not debut next month at the 2019 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. That much you probably already know. But what you probably don’t know is why.

According to sources familiar with the matter speaking to GM Authority on the basis of anonymity, engineers have uncovered a major electrical issue with the future Corvette during the development process. From what we gather, the vehicle’s electrical system can’t carry the load necessary to support the necessary components.

To address the issue, engineers will need to re-engineer the vehicle’s electrical system. Naturally, changes made to the sports car will also need to be coordinated with suppliers involved in providing GM with the electrical components, as well as any associated equipment. The undertaking will delay the mid-engine Corvette project by six months.

Despite this, GM/Chevrolet should still be able to launch the mid engine Corvette for the 2020 model year, though a 2021 model year launch is not entirely off the table.

Stay tuned to GM Authority for more Corvette news and mid engine Corvette news.

Read more: Mid Engine Corvette Delayed Six Months Over Electrical Issue | GM Authority

Read more: Mid Engine Corvette Delayed Six Months Over Electrical Issue | GM Authority

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info