Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
One thing that is bothering me more than anything else is still Mando himself. Since he cant remove his mask, we're left to decipher his emotions via body language and his voice....and so far, hes failing horribly at that. The character gives zero emotion in every scene and it makes it hard to gauge any of his motivations. I'm sure some of that is by design, but alot of it falls on Pascal and he is failing.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
One thing that is bothering me more than anything else is still Mando himself. Since he cant remove his mask, we're left to decipher his emotions via body language and his voice....and so far, hes failing horribly at that. The character gives zero emotion in every scene and it makes it hard to gauge any of his motivations. I'm sure some of that is by design, but alot of it falls on Pascal and he is failing.
He's doing a Clint Eastwood impression IMO.

Reactions: Aircal

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
It supposed to be 5 years after ROTJ. Which, if you do the math back, says that baby Yoda was born at the same time as Anakin. So that could mean that the "force" created two beings, one that'll go to dark, on that'll go to light. Or that this was a clone of Yoda. So there are a lot of things it could mean. With only 3 episodes in, theories are abound with limited information.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Mother. Fucking. Called. It.

HDTVTest, a well-respected YouTube channel that tests display quality, reports that, in HDR, The Mandalorian's peak brightness caps out at just 200 nits. HDTVTest goes as far as suggesting that it's SDR video repackaged in a 10-bit HDR container.

For comparison, The Force Awakens on Disney+ reaches peaks of above 700 nits. Last week, HDTVTest ran a similar analysis of the "4K Dolby Vision" masters of the Star Wars original trilogy on Disney+. It found those films' HDR to be subpar, too. They only reached a maximum of 400 nits brightness. While that's disappointing, it may be understandable, considering that the films are so old. The Mandalorian doesn't have the same excuse.

If you attempt to watch The Mandalorian in HDR, don't be surprised if the colors are dim. In fact, HDTVTest suggests you may be better off watching it in SDR. In HDR, you'll be asking your TV to run, unnecessarily, at its highest power consumption, and you won't get the full benefit.

Reactions: Grabber

Thread Info