Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsdAUKIICo

/Film Review -

The Looming Tower Review: 2018's Best New Series

Based on Lawrence Wright’s Pulitzer-winning book, The Looming Tower is the story of how we ended up here – seemingly trapped in wars with no end in sight. It is the story of the individuals who tried, and failed, to prevent the events that would ultimately lead to 9/11. And it unfolds with all the heart-pounding intensity of a potboiler thriller. The end result is something that may ultimately prove to be the first truly great new TV series of 2018.

What truly makes The Looming Tower so addictive, though, is its pacing and its acting. Co-creators Dan Futterman and Alex Gibney have crafted a series that unfolds like a great spy thriller; the fact that it also happens to be a true story only increases the tension. The first three episodes alone pack in more punch, more energy, more intrigue than most modern Hollywood thrillers.

Ultimately, though, The Looming Tower is TV at its finest, and perhaps the best original show Hulu has offered yet. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself hooked from the get-go, desperate for more episodes. It’s a strange, almost queasy reaction: after all, we know exactly how this story ends, and it doesn’t end pleasantly. Yet we still can’t help but find ourselves engrossed, eyes glued to the screen, wondering if maybe, just maybe, things will turn out differently.

The Looming Tower debuts on Hulu on February 28.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
just started watching this. looks like the cia guy martin schmidt is supposed to be based on different people from the cia but is likely the representation of michael scheuer whose books i have repeatedly referenced on the forum a lot.

i read a critique before starting the show and it seems their biggest jab was that it ignored much of the content of the book (which i have not read) - apparently the 80% of the content that was directly from/about middle east sources. while focusing on the 20% which was the cia/fbi involvement and feud. which is unfortunate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mook
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list