The Layman's Guide To Pizza Styles

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Yeah...no.

Best NYC in Chicago: Jimmy's Pizza Cafe, Lincoln & Foster
Best deep dish: The big three are pretty similar.
Best Chicago thin crust: Lou Malnati's
Best Chicago tavern style: Not sure (Vito's & Nick was underwhelming). I liked Gio's on Harlem and Gigios on Broadway but been a while. Armands on Western maybe.
Best Detroit style: Not sure
Best Pizza: Piece Pizza

I don't even know where to start with this. Let's try.

Best deep dish: The big three are pretty similar.

I'd assume you mean Lou's, Giordano's, and maybe Geno's East? All three of these are wildly different. Giordanos is stuffed. Lou's and Geno's are similar, but they have totally different crusts (like made from a different ingredient). These are all *wildly* different. Also, they are all just 'okay'. Pequods is far better than Lou's/Geno's. Nancys is far better than Gios.

Best Chicago thin crust: Lou Malnati's
Best Chicago tavern style: Not sure (Vito's & Nick was underwhelming). I liked Gio's on Harlem and Gigios on Broadway but been a while. Armands on Western maybe.

Uh, you realize that Lou's thin crust *is* tavern style right? Also, who the hell would go to Lou's and get their thin crust?
I'm not familiar with any of the ones you listed for tavern style, but I'd check them out. Tavern style is really hard to screw up, and most mom and pop shops in Chicago are good enough for a thin pie.

Best Pizza: Piece Pizza

This might be the most egregious thing posted in this thread.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
They have a carry out Lous down the street in Palos Heights now. 127th and Harlem.

We never go, because I agree its more hype train than anything. its good but Chicago has better.

Yeah, I get it delivered every once in a while when I don't wanna use my brain to think about where I wanna go, since it is like 1/2 mile from me. Nothing special about it though.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
giphy.gif

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I had Lou's last night. Utter disappointment.

One deep sausage and pepperoni with butter crust and the other was their sausage crust pizza.

Neither was more than just okay...
Careful. You might be disrespecting someone's cult here.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood

Mook's mention of "eating a cracker" is dead on. I'm almost positive they used to say their crust was "cracker crust". Not sure if they do anymore, but that place sucks imo, lol. My whse used to be right across the street and we shared space with a furniture company that has a location in Milwaukee. Every time the Milwaukee people were in town they would eat that shit and think it was the greatest pizza ever.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info