The Layman's Guide To Pizza Styles

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
Hit Piece and had the Hot Doug's but with giardiniera and pepperoni. I normally favor the deep dish, but this is pretty incredible.
20200104_180427.jpeg
20200104_172829.jpeg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Made this on the pizzazz today. First time trying deep dish on that. Think I had it on there for 35-40 minutes or so? Crust came out crunchy but not burnt. Cheese was melted but still had enough consistency to make those tasty blobs that sit on the side of each slice. I'd try it again on the pizzazz, but maybe experiment more with the heat settings (dual, lower, upper).

Its not much to look at but I cut it like an ape.

IMG_20200105_133839.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Stopped by the old pizza place yesterday afternoon to pick something up, while I'm there talking with the manager (who I became friends with over the years), and he offers to make me a pizza. Heck yea...

So I maintained the oven, letting it cook a little longer to properly carmelize the melted cheese, then took it to the other house (where I was going), soooo damn good.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I remember, back in the day (so this would've been in the mid 90's), when I worked second shift at CDW and I'd be coming home, I'd always hit up the Sir Nicks in Carol Stream (off Army Trail and Fair Oaks Road) so damn often. They were the only pizza place that were NOT fast food pizza places, that were open.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Made this on the pizzazz today. First time trying deep dish on that. Think I had it on there for 35-40 minutes or so? Crust came out crunchy but not burnt. Cheese was melted but still had enough consistency to make those tasty blobs that sit on the side of each slice. I'd try it again on the pizzazz, but maybe experiment more with the heat settings (dual, lower, upper).

View attachment 47878

Target had those on sale for HALF price. I bought them all and filled my freezer.
They do take a long time to cook though, so plan ahead . You must cook it the entire recommended time too or else the crust will be soggy.
Years ago, they used to have one of those pop-up thermometers in the middle which helped to know when it was done. Too bad they got rid of them.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
does meat as the crust count as pizza? We ordered a Lou Malnoti's crustless deep dish tonight. It its been on their menu for a while, and damn was it good. For those of you on a low carb/keto diet and/or are gluten free, and like meat its definitely worth a try. The crust is entirely made out of their italian sausage patty. Obviously not the same as buttercrust, but it still satisfied my Lous craving. 1 slice is about 2g carbs.

Reactions: Sprayin

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
does meat as the crust count as pizza? We ordered a Lou Malnoti's crustless deep dish tonight. It its been on their menu for a while, and damn was it good. For those of you on a low carb/keto diet and/or are gluten free, and like meat its definitely worth a try. The crust is entirely made out of their italian sausage patty. Obviously not the same as buttercrust, but it still satisfied my Lous craving. 1 slice is about 2g carbs.
This sounds interesting.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago

View attachment 47878

Have one of those sitting in my freezer. Still waiting to be devoured.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
They arent really everywhere, none in south burbs or the south side. I thought they were opening one on the south side but not sure if it ever happened.
BTW: Had Lou's in Schaumburg last night for dinner.
There is a carry out Lou's in Oak Lawn.

Lou's is mediocre IMO. It's consistent and not bad at all, but it doesn't stand out over any other pizza I've had.

When it comes to Chicago style pizza chain restaurants, I'll choose Giordano's all day.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
There is a carry out Lou's in Oak Lawn.

Lou's is mediocre IMO. It's consistent and not bad at all, but it doesn't stand out over any other pizza I've had.

When it comes to Chicago style pizza chain restaurants, I'll choose Giordano's all day.
Could be the one I was thinking of. Carry outs suck as they dont have appetizers.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yeah...no.

Best NYC in Chicago: Jimmy's Pizza Cafe, Lincoln & Foster
Best deep dish: The big three are pretty similar.
Best Chicago thin crust: Lou Malnati's
Best Chicago tavern style: Not sure (Vito's & Nick was underwhelming). I liked Gio's on Harlem and Gigios on Broadway but been a while. Armands on Western maybe.
Best Detroit style: Not sure
Best Pizza: Piece Pizza

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info