The Layman's Guide To Pizza Styles

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

A snip of the intro:
I regularly get asked what my favorite pizza is. This is an absolutely ridiculous question because there are so many types of pizza out there - none of which are comparable. People that naively ask this question typically have a style of pizza that sticks out in their head as "pizza." From what I have found, this varies depending primarily on where that person is from.

Another article I wrote for Mook Mook review site. I just talk about the differences in styles of pizza and why they aren't comparable. I offer up some examples of pizza I like that fits into each category. I wrote this as a precursor to an upcoming series on Pizza Power rankings, and we will be using these categories to rank pizzas against the same style. Come and tell me how shitty my opinions are.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You talked about square pizza only with tavern style but rosati’sn and other places do double and thin in squares as well. I swear it tastes better than a slice :s00ls:

Also didn’t talk about traditional Italian wood fired pizza and here in Colorado we have mountain pie which is basically a ridiculous amount of crust that people then dip in honey.

Other than questionable picks, I liked it.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
You talked about square pizza only with tavern style but rosati’sn and other places do double and thin in squares as well. I swear it tastes better than a slice :s00ls:

Other than questionable picks, I liked it.

I've seen some places do deep dish in squares too. The Rosati's I used to go to had double dough in triangles, so I guess its location dependent? I know you can ask for it either way.

For the picks, they were more things that popped into my head that I've enjoyed and I feel represents the style well, not necessarily the best in that category.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Also didn’t talk about traditional Italian wood fired pizza and here in Colorado we have mountain pie which is basically a ridiculous amount of crust that people then dip in honey.

I feel like I almost never see wood fired pizza and mostly see coal fired. I think either way, those both fall into the New Haven Style.

Tell me more about this mountain pie. I am definitely in. Although honey seems odd to me.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
the best Chicago style deep dish pizza is a place in AZ. get the fuck outa here.

also, for me, best double dough, Sir Nick's.

It absolutely is and anyone can fight me on it. It is the best pizza on the planet. The guy who runs it had a place in Chicago and moved to AZ (because honestly, who wouldn't) so its definitely authentic. i think they still have a location in McHenry, but I can't speak to if it as good. Best deep dish place *in* Chicago is Pequods.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I feel like I almost never see wood fired pizza and mostly see coal fired. I think either way, those both fall into the New Haven Style.

Tell me more about this mountain pie. I am definitely in. Although honey seems odd to me.

https://www.beaujos.com/ here’s as far as Iow, the originator of it. It’s good (I’ve had better pizza overall though).

1576615225468.jpeg

1576615243458.jpeg

Wood fired is all over here. I guess....it would be hand tossed? You picked dominos :rofl:

This is from Tilfords pizza (google image)
1576615128144.jpeg

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It absolutely is and anyone can fight me on it. It is the best pizza on the planet. The guy who runs it had a place in Chicago and moved to AZ (because honestly, who wouldn't) so its definitely authentic. i think they still have a location in McHenry, but I can't speak to if it as good. Best deep dish place *in* Chicago is Pequods.
:vomit: fuck that burnt cheese crust shit. Also that dude left and started his own pizza and it’s the same shit.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
https://www.beaujos.com/ here’s as far as Iow, the originator of it. It’s good (I’ve had better pizza overall though).

View attachment 46741
View attachment 46742

Wood fired is all over here. I guess....it would be hand tossed? You picked dominos :rofl:

This is from Tilfords pizza (google image)
View attachment 46740

:rofl: I picked dominos because I never get hand tossed pizza anywhere and couldn't think of a good example. The top one definitely looks like Hand Tossed to me though. A *lot* thicker though and I'm all about that. The bottom one is more like what I'm used to seeing with New Haven style. Those are good, but I prefer thicker.

Last edited:

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
texting my buddy in AZ now.

BOOTS ON THE GROUND!

I lived there 6 years. They also have Gio's, Lou's, and Geno's out there and this place blows them all out of the water. Consistently ranked the best pizza in AZ. And me growing up in Chicago, (and now living there again) I can say with 100% absolute certainty that its better than anything in the area.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
:vomit: fuck that burnt cheese crust shit. Also that dude left and started his own pizza and it’s the same shit.

The "burnt cheese" is a thin layer on the top of the crust that can easily be picked off. It hardly defines the pizza. I like it because its crispy and thick. A lot of these deep places in Chicago get so fucking greasy its like the crust was dipped in water after it was cooked.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Sauce goes over the cheese on detroit style. And toppings arguably go under and/or over the cheese. If you've never been to Buddy's in Detroit, it's worth it. Jet's 8 corner is about as good of a substitute as I've found around here (if you're going to include the considerably varied versions like Deep!Deep!).

The article makes me very hungry.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Sauce goes over the cheese on detroit style. And toppings arguably go under and/or over the cheese. If you've never been to Buddy's in Detroit, it's worth it. Jet's 8 corner is about as good of a substitute as I've found around here (if you're going to include the considerably varied versions like Deep!Deep!).

The article makes me very hungry.

I've seen both variations of detroit style, but the sauce under the cheese is much more common. There is a place in Logan Square called Paulie Gee's that has a Detroit style with the sauce up top that I enjoy, but that's the only place I've seen it at. It's hard to find that style locally.

The toppings going under or over the cheese is something I didn't want to tackle because it varies among the styles. They even do that on some tavern style thins. Thats very dependent on the pie maker, and I don't think it defines the style.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info