HBO / MAX The Last of Us

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
****WARNING OPINION AHEAD****

So, while playing through the game....the danger level of the infected, and the scale of infected is something lost in the show.

The TV Show world seems far less dangerous than the game world, which in turn IN MY OPINION, minimizes Joel's choice at the end of the 1st story.

As a gamer, the series was very good...but had the chance to be fucking amazing. Wasting those 2 episodes definitely hurt.

Season 2 is going to be very interesting as the second game was very polarizing and not as good as a story.

AGAIN, MY OPINIONS.

Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

…….have an opinion

• Haha
Reactions: Huggerorange73

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Just watched the BTS making of special. One thing they really seemed to focus on in this was just how AMAZING the set design was. Yes they did use a LOT of VFX in this show, but they also did everything practical wherever they possibly could, which all the actors say goes a LONG way to helping them not really have to "act" as much, because they really reacting to everything around them. And that kinda stuff DOES go a long way in a show like this.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Just watched the BTS making of special. One thing they really seemed to focus on in this was just how AMAZING the set design was. Yes they did use a LOT of VFX in this show, but they also did everything practical wherever they possibly could, which all the actors say goes a LONG way to helping them not really have to "act" as much, because they really reacting to everything around them. And that kinda stuff DOES go a long way in a show like this.
I remember my buddy in KC said they shut down the highways for about an hour there for taping one day.

Reactions: IDAFC21

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
I enjoyed the finale. Didn't really feel rushed to me. Could they have condensed some episodes and extended others? For sure. But overall I feel the season flowed well enough.

Maybe season 2 will dive more deep into the infected? I mean we saw the huge hoard and then nothing.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I didn’t play the game so my opinion is based on just watching the show.

It’s in the title, “us”. It’s all about relationships after the apocalypse, not so much about the zombies. Look at all the relationships: father/daughter, brother/brother, man/man, girl/girl, hetero/ hetero. This is how “us” survive and love after a zombie apocalypse.

Jimmy ZR1

Jul 31, 2020
I played both games and watched the show. There was a bit of "agenda" that felt a bit forced in the show but aside from that it was good.

Spoiler alert: the second game sucks... the game had an "agenda" as well that felt forced unlike the first game. They even shove the transgender stuff into it. I think making game 2 into a show is going to be trash and I think the first season of the show should have been spread among 2 seasons rather than crammed into 1 season. At this rate we will only get 2 seasons unless they make as last of us 3 as they are doing 1 game per season.

Huggerorange73

Big government pro Russian dude AKA Comrade Mike
Mar 29, 2011
Maricopa
I played both games and watched the show. There was a bit of "agenda" that felt a bit forced in the show but aside from that it was good.

Spoiler alert: the second game sucks... the game had an "agenda" as well that felt forced unlike the first game. They even shove the transgender stuff into it. I think making game 2 into a show is going to be trash and I think the first season of the show should have been spread among 2 seasons rather than crammed into 1 season. At this rate we will only get 2 seasons unless they make as last of us 3 as they are doing 1 game per season.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Haha
Reactions: greasy

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
It's been said a bunch of times in this thread that it'll wrap up with season 2, but do you guys really believe that? In terms of proprietary & popular new shows, HBO max doesn't seem to have much. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they tried to build this out in to some halfassed "universe" because that's what happens nowadays.

“Obviously there’s a lot more story to tell that exists. The second game is much bigger than the first, the amount of story there is much larger,” Mazin said. “So the positive thing is it’s not like, oh, there’s just one more season. I think that there is more than one more season to do.”

Reactions: Huggerorange73

Jimmy ZR1

Jul 31, 2020
It's been said a bunch of times in this thread that it'll wrap up with season 2, but do you guys really believe that? In terms of proprietary & popular new shows, HBO max doesn't seem to have much. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they tried to build this out in to some halfassed "universe" because that's what happens nowadays.

I could see it. We all got to see how well that worked for Game of Thrones when they went off script in the final season as the books weren't finished... They will ruin this show too I'm sure.

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
For those of you that played the game, and gave Frank's letter to Bill....do you remember what Bill said to Joel about men like them?

Boy that little nugget of information sure would have validated the rampage Joel went on wouldn't it?

Another missed opportunity.
Ellie literally read the letter to Joel in the show.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
Okay, so I skimmed the thread because... 21 pages. So apologies if this was commented on.
Last episode, Marlene talks about the Doctors theory on Ellie's immunity -- "Cordyceps think she's a Cordycep, so they leave her alone."
That doctor is a terrible scientist. All they had to do was say "Ellie, did any Cordyceps ever attack you?" and she would say "Yup." and rattle off instances -- like the gymnastic clicker that tried to get her in the car.

I haven't played the game, so I'm not in a position to be on about them changing the lore, but when the lore in your show isn't consistent, it bugs me. So either the writers screwed up, showing Cordyceps attacking Ellie, or the doctor was the worst scientist/doctor ever. Especially in a situation like this. You'd think they'd do a few DOZEN tests to try to figure things out. I doubt Joel was unconscious that long.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It may be that the virus sees her as a cordycep, but the carrier that bites her does not....if that makes any sense.
Which if they had the airborne aspect of the virus in the show then this would still be justifiable but if all this cure is doing is making me not turn into one yet they’re still trying to consume me….who cares

Thread Info