HBO / MAX The Last of Us

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Breaking bad did 62 episodes in 6 years, better call saul was 63 episodes in 7 years, Expanse was 62 episodes in 6 years and it was made for streaming. All of those shows had more substance per season than the Last of Us IMO.

A 2+ year wait for a season that'll likely have 8 episodes is ridiculous IMO
There is way bigger combination of set pieces, cgi, and locations with much larger budgets involved in last of us compared to any of those shows.

Reactions: Sprayin

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Breaking bad did 62 episodes in 6 years, better call saul was 63 episodes in 7 years, Expanse was 62 episodes in 6 years and it was made for streaming. All of those shows had more substance per season than the Last of Us IMO.

A 2+ year wait for a season that'll likely have 8 episodes is ridiculous IMO
And, its basically already scripted because of the game. Sure they change things here and there to better flow from a game point of view to a show, but it's still basically all there.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
There is way bigger combination of set pieces, cgi, and locations with much larger budgets involved in last of us compared to any of those shows.
I can keep throwing examples out there lol. GOT was also made by HBO, had bigger budgets than TLOU (towards the end, early seasons would need to be adjusted for inflation), and made 73 episodes in 8 years.

If one 8-9 episode season every 2+ years is the new norm, that's certainly a recent development

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I can keep throwing examples out there lol. GOT was also made by HBO, had bigger budgets than TLOU (towards the end, early seasons would need to be adjusted for inflation), and made 73 episodes in 8 years.

If one 8-9 episode season every 2+ years is the new norm, that's certainly a recent development
How was that in the later seasons? Par for the course of it taking 2+ years much like my original comment. Sure, maybe 10-15 years ago it was different, which it was. Not the case now adays.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I liked Last of Us, it was good, well paced, and nobodies actions felt contrived or forced.

As for episodes? Star Trek TNG did 178 episodes in 7 years back to back with no break. At a cost of 3.5 Million per episode adjusted for today's dollar. But the era of 24 episodes per season is done with, and that make some sad because you can tell a huge story in 24 episodes with time for good character development. I'm re-watching Babylon 5 and its great how each of the main cast has room to breathe and grow, plots don't have to suddenly spring out of nowhere and get closed just as fast.

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
I liked Last of Us, it was good, well paced, and nobodies actions felt contrived or forced.

As for episodes? Star Trek TNG did 178 episodes in 7 years back to back with no break. At a cost of 3.5 Million per episode adjusted for today's dollar. But the era of 24 episodes per season is done with, and that make some sad because you can tell a huge story in 24 episodes with time for good character development. I'm re-watching Babylon 5 and its great how each of the main cast has room to breathe and grow, plots don't have to suddenly spring out of nowhere and get closed just as fast.

What makes me chuckle about the bygone era of 20+ episodes a season is how back then, the writers were striking because they were being forced to work too much. Now it's "we need more work! Bring back writer-rooms!"

I would have though The Expanse would have had a way bigger budget than Last of Us. The did a lot of really good zero-G scenes, and the CGI/space stuff was really good (in my opinion).

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
What makes me chuckle about the bygone era of 20+ episodes a season is how back then, the writers were striking because they were being forced to work too much. Now it's "we need more work! Bring back writer-rooms!"

I would have though The Expanse would have had a way bigger budget than Last of Us. The did a lot of really good zero-G scenes, and the CGI/space stuff was really good (in my opinion).
Orville S3 was about $10M per episode. Same cost as She-Hulk, but for ~750 minutes of run time.

That's 12hrs of entertainment. Mini movies indeed.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

GoT is the whole reason this is the norm now. They did it with no fucks given and it didn't affect viewership at all. If anything, it got bigger.

Then you have all the nannies in the thread complaining about "filler episodes" because an extremely major plot point or someone dying doesn't happen every single episode.

Reactions: Fish

Trinten

Regular
TCG Premium
Aug 7, 2018
North Carolina
I can believe it for Orville. I read (so, who knows how accurate it is) that Macfarlane was making 1 million per episode for it.
It was a shame Season 4 of that was cancelled. I liked that series. And he jumped to Hulu because Fox was asking for insane time tables. Anyhow, sorry for dragging things further off topic.

Thread Info