The L.A.T.E. ride in Chicago (bike ride)

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
A few friends and family members are interested in doing this late night bike ride in Chicago. I'm posting this to see if any TCG crew in interested in the ride. See the website below for the details:

http://lateride.org/

Saturday night/Sunday morning July 9/10, 2011
Join up to 9,000 bicyclists on Saturday night/Sunday morning July 9/10 for Friends of the Parks’ L.A.T.E. Ride. Enjoy a 25-mile ride through Chicago's neighborhoods and along the lakefront. Cycle past skyscrapers, hear shout of "Opaah!" in Greek Town, cruise through the North Side, wave to onlookers, and watch the sun rise over Lake Michigan. Plus, you’ll enjoy music before the ride, sponsor booths to explore, refreshments before the ride and at the rest stop, and great food and beverages after your trek through the city.

Every election, politicians utter the old phrase "Chicago is a city of neighborhoods." This year, you’ll experience many exciting and distinctive neighborhoods during Friends of the Parks’ L.A.T.E. Ride!

Your adventure will begin, as always, at Buckingham Fountain, built in 1927 to provide a monumental focal point in Grant Park while protecting breathtaking lakefront views. Route highlights will include the South Loop, Chinatown, Greek Town, Chicago’s historic "Emerald Necklace" and much more. A large park on the north side will host the rest stop- plenty of open green space for food and fun! You’ll finish your trek along the glorious lakefront trail, which offers stunning skyline views.

At 25 miles - all flat except for bridges - the route is doable for cyclists of all levels.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I see a helmet is required for this event. I don't wear a helmet to ride on pavement so I'm going to have to say i wouldn't do this.

That's all it takes to scare you off, a helmet?

Required? :fu:

I don't know how they enforce it, but it was required for the Bike the Drive. I didn't seem them kicking anyone out that didn't have a helmet, but I didn't see anyone without a helmet.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I wear one off road always. I just don't understand why it's required to ride on flat ground

I'm sure it is more dangerous to hit your head on concrete than dirt. You're also riding in a large crowd of people who may or may not have been drinking. I saw a few people get tangled up at the Bike the Drive.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I wear one off road always. I just don't understand why it's required to ride on flat ground
To promote safety is my guess. I agree it's not actually necessary....nobody is going to be going much over 10mph if that.

Oh mark....there aren't big rocks and logs in the middle of the paved road...just sayin'

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
To promote safety is my guess. I agree it's not actually necessary....nobody is going to be going much over 10mph if that.

Oh mark....there aren't big rocks and logs in the middle of the paved road...just sayin'

At Bike the Drive, there were lots of people going way faster than 10mph. There were some hardcore bikers there. Maybe it will be different for the night ride, but there were lots of people hauling ass.

Sure there aren't logs or rocks, but logs and rocks are easy to avoid. Try getting out of the way of a biker that makes an unanticipated move in front of you.

Believe me, when I ride at night by myself, I don't wear a helmet. But in a large group of people, I have no problem wearing one just in case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info