Site Sponsor The insanity continues v. I think Barney has been through the wringer

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
It's almost like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, at least for the current projects.
Somewhat picture heavy and many TLDR viewers but I will approach this thread like the others.

I have spent the last few weeks working on paint touch ups etc. For those that required a bit of wet sanding, it's a tedious process. Paint, wait for it to dry, paint, wait for it to dry.
Add clear ( in some scenarios ), wait for it to dry. Clear, wait for it to dry, sand etc. Its hard not to fall down the very deep hole of paint touch ups. I decided to only address the worst ones. The rocker panels are peppered so yeah FML.
I am working on the car in sections to some degree all leading up to the big day. That being polish and new coatings. I purchased Solution Finish to "restore" the windshield wiper cowl area.
Since it may be a PITA to Film, I decided to try it out on the door sill trim panels. What happened when I removed them ? DIRT !

On to the process:

Taped over the holes just in case but once the painters tape got wet, it did not do much of anything :ROFLMAO:
1703450039766.png

IAkVhF4.jpg

Door sill trim, doesn't look terrible:
Dib5qpp.jpg

9lwK3Fb.jpg

After a wash, some minor rust-skis
V3zoKHI.jpg

oPkiHgp.jpg

LzTixJK.jpg

YMFkFl3.jpg

mclr205.jpg

Passenger rocker :confused:
gPlIndc.jpg

Sanded with 1000 grit and touched up bare spots
srEIGTi.jpg

Driver side:
kzVMKoi.jpg

dacpXTF.jpg

Compound sills with Rupes Nano iBrid, blue foam pad and Menzerna FG 400, finish polished with yellow foam pad and Rupes yellow finishing polish
LBdqfQl.jpg

WYseicw.jpg

NPKEkWN.jpg

V2eJqil.jpg

awKmXcK.jpg

HQNcLws.jpg

Bottom of the driver fender, rock chips FTL but polished with PC, orange Lake country CCS pad and Menzerna 2400
2j7C6Yj.jpg

The rocker panels were lightly sanded with 3000 grit, polished with a buff n shine urofiber 50/50 pad and menzerna FG400 + white LC foam pad with Rupes yellow finishing polish
*NOTE* The more and more that I am up close and personal with the car and an LED light, the more I think it lived a rough life before me. There are some bumps and bruises that I know about but fuck - ing Ch***t
There are fisheyes or solvent pop or both on the driver side rocker. After sanding, I touched up the low spot / dimples with clear coat.

Driver rocker "after"
7pbVlH5.jpg

So while I was working on the driver side rocker, I caught a glimpse of the underside of the door. Swirls !
So I went over it with the orange CCS pad and M. 2400
JVxDKsx.jpg

Hint, taking pictures with the light facing you is not good for glamour shots:
T4AfzT5.jpg

Passenger side, underside of the fender:
FPKmWbD.jpg

nFNbazC.jpg

Driver side coated with CQuartz Uk 3.0
QG7Rxn1.jpg

Pass side Coated:
5U9ENHG.jpg

Yes, even the front section of the door was polished and coated ( the rotary extension for the Nano iBrid came in handy )
ESwmvLh.jpg

Driver sill panel cleaned with Meguiars #39, wiped down with CarPro Eraser and treated with solution finish. ( Video to follow next week )
s42z4wL.jpg

uNu3iTd.jpg

You may be asking yourself, why didn't Gav post pictures of the underside of the passenger door ? :unsure:
Well, it's not painted. Just primed with misc purple over spray.
It's hard not to get discouraged, wanting everything to be new and perfect. But, Barney needs to retain a bit of character so that's what I keep telling myself.

:bigthumb:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

You are insane in the best way.

thanks, I will take this as a compliment

giphy.gif

I feel your pain. Once you see something, you’re drawn to fix it, right?

The initial thought was, " it's the bottom of the door." The thought that immediately follows, " I won't be able to live with myself knowing that I left it alone."

giphy.gif

i love this.

now do mine

You own LARGE TANKS and I will politely decline

giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
thanks, I will take this as a compliment

giphy.gif

The initial thought was, " it's the bottom of the door." The thought that immediately follows, " I won't be able to live with myself knowing that I left it alone."

giphy.gif

You own LARGE TANKS and I will politely decline

giphy.gif

just go like 1/4 effort on my 4x the size the vehicle boom math

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info