The history of the LS1

S8ER01Z

Addict
TCG Premium
Jun 2, 2013
1674694048056.jpeg

This thread feels like a good place for thisā€¦ ?

Reactions: sktchy

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
View attachment 148936

This thread feels like a good place for thisā€¦ ?
God the 700r4 and later renamed as 4L60's were such pieces of shit that could barely live behind the V8's.

I don't know what had a worse failure rate, the transmissions, or the 10 bolts behind them.

I'm honestly shocked as hell that the 10bolt behind my GTA is still alive and has a working posi. I for sure thought the first 1-2 shift in anger would have destroyed it.

S8ER01Z

Addict
TCG Premium
Jun 2, 2013
God the 700r4 and later renamed as 4L60's were such pieces of shit that could barely live behind the V8's.

I don't know what had a worse failure rate, the transmissions, or the 10 bolts behind them.

I'm honestly shocked as hell that the 10bolt behind my GTA is still alive and has a working posi. I for sure thought the first 1-2 shift in anger would have destroyed it.
My original 10 bolt lived to 195kā€¦. I had several hundred passes on it at that time. Iā€™m guessing it lived because it never had a real tire under it or any real power (LS6 cam, LTs, Lid) but I was pretty impressed it held up to daily driver duty like it did.

S8ER01Z

Addict
TCG Premium
Jun 2, 2013
I have always been hesitant to put a tire on the car for fear the traction would kill it. Special with a manual transmission. I'm okay with the car spinning through half of 2nd gear on a 1-2 shift if it saves me from a tow home.
That was my philosophy as well. I also ran all seasons with good snow traction so I never had to worry about ā€œgreat summerā€ traction. Sliding around was fun and saved money on parts.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
My original 10 bolt lived to 195kā€¦. I had several hundred passes on it at that time. Iā€™m guessing it lived because it never had a real tire under it or any real power (LS6 cam, LTs, Lid) but I was pretty impressed it held up to daily driver duty like it did.

Same my 10 bolt lasted through a slew of 1.5x 60ā€™ times and eventually I put a cam in it and spray and did high 10ā€™s. I bought the 10 bolt from a guy that had it fully welded and reinforced so yeah probably had a little to do with it not twisting and destroying itself.

• Wow
Reactions: S8ER01Z and sktchy

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I always side stepped the clutch and let the driveline/rear end load. Not just smack it with all the powa and it lasted.
Wasn't there someone in the MFBA with either a new Camaro, TA or GTO that had to replace the clutch within the first 1000 miles? I thought that was maybe you with the GTO, but it was a long time ago...

• Wow
Reactions: S8ER01Z

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Yea, that was the GTO. It didn't like the burnout and a couple hard launches with the weight of the car.
Glad my memory still works from time to time! I was able to put over 50k miles on my 04 GTO before trading it and it held up to towing my Jetski through a few summers, along with some drag racing and Road America. But I didn't have sticky tires on it and wasn't trying to achieve killer 60' times. Still was a great car though and one of my favorites! :)

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Glad my memory still works from time to time! I was able to put over 50k miles on my 04 GTO before trading it and it held up to towing my Jetski through a few summers, along with some drag racing and Road America. But I didn't have sticky tires on it and wasn't trying to achieve killer 60' times. Still was a great car though and one of my favorites! :)
I've actually been through a couple. The replacement SPEC didn't have enough spring pressure on the pressure plate, so they gave me another. Then after awhile I got tired of having a work truck like pedal effort. I ended up with a Monster level 4 IIRC and i've been happy since.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I went thru a ton of clutches on my '98SS, that's why I put it back to stock and traded it in for the Formula.
I remember being there at the dealer in Schaumburg (Honda dealer?) for that along with Jason/GM NIghtmare and maybe another guy or two. Poor dealer was probably thankful when all us "experts" finally left so you could buy the Formula. LOL

I'm sure you miss driving a manual every once in awhile, especially for street driving. I'm far from the best at banging gears, but it was always more fun and engaging for a sports car. I like the newer automatics for my daily/family cars though...

Reactions: sktchy and S8ER01Z
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info