Food / Drink The great toppings on pizza debate

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Yea, and for the record, I like sausage too. Usually when I get a slice at lunch over at Generoso here in Glendale Heights, I get the sausage.

I also liked one we made at the pizza place I worked at, BBQ sauce, pepperoni, and bacon. I never thought I would. But the zestiness of the pepperoni was offset by the sweetness of the BBQ sauce and the bacon added even more flavor.
Nice, I think they call that the Heartburn Express.... jk

I will agree Chicago has the best sausage for pizza. Northeast has weird stuff, looks like pellets.

But Northeast has the best style pepperoni, enzo, the ones that cup. They are THEE best.

For the record I rarely order a cheese pizza I'll never get a pizza with more than one topping because then all you taste are the toppings. #micdrop #bosstard

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice, I think they call that the Heartburn Express.... jk

I will agree Chicago has the best sausage for pizza. Northeast has weird stuff, looks like pellets.

But Northeast has the best style pepperoni, enzo, the ones that cup. They are THEE best.

For the record I rarely order a cheese pizza I'll never get a pizza with more than one topping because then all you taste are the toppings. #micdrop #bosstard
11068cac-e3b3-449c-9056-33e75646be42_text.gif

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
First time ordering a Pepperoni pizza down here it showed up like cups, was like wtf? Then ordered old world pepperoni and it showed up like we have back in Chicago.

In general Italian Sausage is hard to replicate especially if use to Chicago land area variants, meaning restaurants and grocery. Only sausage pizza I dislike is geno’s east and Lou’s which the sausage patty, way too much.

Only cheese pizza I dislike is arellio’s ? They had one in villa park and was not use to the cheese blend they used, wasn’t the usual mozzarella.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If it's a thin, medium, or pan crust pizza I like many different toppings. And depending on which sauce is the base, my toppings change. But as an average, I love a 'supreme' or 'meat lovers' pizza.

When it comes to a Chicago style DD I've tried a few toppings, but ultimately the toppings I enjoy on a non-DD pizza don't entice me on a DD. For Lou's I usually just get a simple Sausage Pizza.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Sausage for a good pizza place here in Chicago (and area) is italian sausge from Greco. It comes in a package similar to ground beef at the store, you pull a chunk off and then roll it in to a shape like a hot dog, then break off a piece at a time to put on the pizza.

Our mozzarella cheese (also from Greco) was in 5 pound blocks IIRC and we would shred in the big Hobart wonder gizmo.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Holy shit you guys are really fighting over plain ass pizza ?

Missing the fuck out on shit like bbq chicken bacon cream cheese or even a good taco pizza.

Banana peppers or pepperoncinis ftw tho

this sounds like someone that doesn't know what good pizza is whatsoever.

sorry you live where you live.

Sorry Not Sorry Idk GIF by HyperX

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
For thin crust, Chicago's #1 topping should be sausage. Chicago does a good job with taste of the sausage (right amount of fennel etc.) and I'd say the classic order for thin should be Sausage only.

When you order other stuff, well you have some potential issues. Canned ingredients, and it's not easy to keep the pizza crust from getting soggy from all the water coming out of the vegetables.

My wife and sons are so damn picky I have not ordered a pizza with mushrooms (deep dish) in many years.

But I've tried thin + bacon, thin + extra garlic, and thin + italian or just roast beef.

Bacon just overpowers the pizza, and I love bacon. But that's all I taste.

I had V/N with beef, it was tasty but that's all I tasted. I've had the same beef pizza at Geo's on Harlem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info