The Good Life v.farming

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Pierce? Randolph? Norfolk?

I’ll have to look back in the messages. All I remember is the town was pretty much an intersection. Handful of houses on one side, gas station on one corner and a Subway, laundromat and quick mart on the other. When I say there were less than a dozen buildings I mean it lol.

• Haha
Reactions: GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I’ll have to look back in the messages. All I remember is the town was pretty much an intersection. Handful of houses on one side, gas station on one corner and a Subway, laundromat and quick mart on the other. When I say there were less than a dozen buildings I mean it lol.

Maybe Hadar? I'm trying to remember what other really small towns are around there.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Maybe Hadar? I'm trying to remember what other really small towns are around there.

So I guess it was Madison. Idk if it’s like it is in Northern Wisconsin out there where you can be like 20 min north of “town” and it’s still the same address. Because there wasn’t shit where I was at.

• Haha
Reactions: GTPpower and Rdrnnr

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
So I guess it was Madison. Idk if it’s like it is in Northern Wisconsin out there where you can be like 20 min north of “town” and it’s still the same address. Because there wasn’t shit where I was at.

Yup, farms will still have a city address...or at least look like it. There's a pretty killer Mexican restaurant in Madison....I used to go there a l lot when I lived 10 minutes away.

Reactions: Outlaw and Rdrnnr

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The twins seem to be doing well so far. They aren't fat, but mom is keeping both of them fed.

I found a few baby kittens in the barn yesterday when I was feeding the cow.
Snapchat-1079183396.jpg

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Man I was never a big fan of cats until I got out of town, we usually get a few little ones every year now as they tend to wander off or stuff happens to em bein out by the river.

Stella here is some of the best entertainment life has to offer. She's a stray one of my exs drug over here so some idiot didn't feed her to a pitbull and been one of the best forms of pest control I've ever seen. Other than the occasional squealin bunny or half a bird layin in the driveway she's been a hell of a cat and the only outside one to hang around. She's become pretty good company tho I'd bout trade her for my idiot border collie any dayIMG_20210514_111843_847.jpg20210514_135412.jpgSnapchat-1865829351.jpg

Reactions: Jon01 and GTPpower

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
Not gonna be a good thing with the cost of energy on a constant rise. You got pivots on most of it? Diesel or electric? I bet these guys would be amazed what it costs to run one of those things for a week.

We use to have alot of 454s on gravity and I did a year or so pullin big wells before I had enough of that. The shop I worked at growing up used to make the cooling coils for the cat engines that were genius. Used the well water to cool off some 2 inch copper lines brazed inside the pipe right off the well head and worked pretty amazing for as simple a concept as it was.

Reactions: GTPpower and Outlaw

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Not gonna be a good thing with the cost of energy on a constant rise. You got pivots on most of it? Diesel or electric? I bet these guys would be amazed what it costs to run one of those things for a week.

We use to have alot of 454s on gravity and I did a year or so pullin big wells before I had enough of that. The shop I worked at growing up used to make the cooling coils for the cat engines that were genius. Used the well water to cool off some 2 inch copper lines brazed inside the pipe right off the well head and worked pretty amazing for as simple a concept as it was.

We are mostly dry land. We have 140 acres that are pivot irrigated, but the rest is dry.

It may seem like it costs a lot, and it's definitely not cheap, but once you figure the cost per acre, it's actually pretty low.

Reactions: Rdrnnr and Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Damn, that’ll keep you and your family fed for a while lol. Sending critters to slaughter is probably my last favorite part of the life, but I feel like if I’m going to eat meat I shouldn’t ignore the reality of where it came from. We’re probably going to be butchering the wethers that don’t sell since they end up being a waste of feed after a while.

Thread Info