đź’¬ OT The Good Life v.farming

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Is this actually true? I'm trying to think here, because aside from last year, I can't think of the last time we actually got federal aid. Maybe 2010 ish?

there are a bunch of different types of subsidies and angles and such, some being soft and indirect. corn is shit for ethanol and heavily subsidized, US corn is protected from competing with brazilian sugar, etc.

ag subsidies are some of the largest however you decide to measure things ---

Imagine how high your food bill would be if the US had to import a high percentage of our food, or there were no fed subsidies for farms. You’d spend $1000/mo at Dunkin and McD instead of $400/mo

it's not nearly that simple as it's not like they are directly subsidizing US customer costs. there's certainly arguments for minimally rather large change in the structure.

Reactions: Rdrnnr

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
We started planting soybeans a couple days ago. We use a bean drill that plants rows 15" apart. This drill is 15' wide, so it feels like planting takes forever versus the corn planter that is 25' wide.

IMG_20210513_124452340_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210513_124504232_HDR.jpg

This is another piece of equipment that we've wanted to upgrade for years. If you pay attention to farm equipment, you may notice a pattern. IH comes out with something that appears to be a good idea and theory, but just can't quite make it work like it should. Then Deere takes that design and makes it way better. We've wanted to get a 20' JD drill for awhile, but the tractor isn't really big enough for it, and our current drill barely fits through all out gates.

With some tweaking, I was finally able to catch WAAS.

IMG_20210512_144307098.jpg

So we are able to use guidance now, which is really nice because there are many times the markers are not actually visible.... because they suck.

IMG_20210512_152544282.jpg

IMG_20210513_190548593.jpg

We are using it as a light bar, which definitely helps because it tells you where to drive. But, I can see why guys run these for a season or two before switching to autosteer. Trying to focus on the screen, the field, and the implement behind you can definitely cause a headache.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
This morning a cow had twins. This usually is not a good thing. Most of the time, one of them dies. Unless it's a super healthy cow, they often don't have enough milk for both of them.

It's super important for calves to get colostrum from their mother within about 12 hours, or they typically won't live more than a few days. So since this mother is a bit short on milk, I picked up a bag of powdered colostrum from the vet this morning, and have been attempting to bottle feed them all day. One figured it out and is drinking from the cow, but the other isn't quite as smart.

IMG_20210515_115403741.jpg

IMG_20210515_115539089.jpg

IMG_20210515_115554516.jpg

IMG_20210515_203848361.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Lol, I’ve got a few Nigerians on the bottle right now and it ends up being the opposite. I pull and bottle feed the singletons a few days after birth since they typically favor a side on mom which makes it a pain in the dick to milk them out, pretty much give them enough time for the colostrum to get into them and then they get pulled. We just finished our kidding season with 27 born this season out of 11 does. Glad I invested in a milking machine this year.

Reactions: GTPpower and Rdrnnr

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
They’re a decent commitment for sure but they are incredible for kids, We’re trying to get my buddies daughter to show some of ours. Derek is my favorite of the bottle babies, he’s going to be one hell of a herd sire, genetics out the ass.

View attachment 89324

Man, those are cuties.

Reactions: Outlaw and Rdrnnr

Rdrnnr

wannabe racecar builder
Nov 15, 2020
They’re a decent commitment for sure but they are incredible for kids, We’re trying to get my buddies daughter to show some of ours. Derek is my favorite of the bottle babies, he’s going to be one hell of a herd sire, genetics out the ass.

View attachment 89324
I could probably have a couple goats ? they can get kinda obnoxious tho and I'll have no problem sending one in early if I find it on one of my cars

• Haha
Reactions: Outlaw

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Freemartin? I mean I'd actually consider it pretty hard I wouldn't have to mow anymore. Just have to get some t posts and a roll or two of fence lol

Infertile female. Somewhat common with twins. One of the few things I know about cattle lmao.

Yeah they don’t take much. Hell we raise most of them in horse stalls and just have one of the wood pasture fences lined with chain link.

I was just out checking on them. These are all about two weeks old. They just got disbudded last night so they’re not thrilled.

61259FE2-44F5-4081-8306-136C23ACBDFE.jpeg

Reactions: Jon01 and Rdrnnr

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
We keep very few of them for cows. The only one I know of that we kept (kept her because she is super tame) has a calf every year. But, yes, from what I'm told it's super common for them to be infertile.

What were you in Madison for? That's like 45 minutes from me.

I was picking up two Nigerian does and a buck lol. We bring in new lines from all over the country. Goats are popular, but not super popular, so it’s hard to find good dairy genetics without line breeding without going a ways away.

Reactions: GTPpower

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Love rollin back home in my ridiculous rides. The dirty looks are worth allll of it :ROFLMAO:

I blended in pretty well in farm country in my mid trim level 6.7 with a transfer tank and smashed tailgate lol. I may have rolled through the Res, idk. I was stared at in stores for sure.

CDA10792-834E-4E25-BA48-5AC143B07AF1.jpeg

Thread Info