The Good Life v.farming

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember the exact town I went to, but I think it was about 30 miles north of there. All I know is I rolled in to town and EVERY motherfucker there knew I was not a local lol.
Pierce? Randolph? Norfolk?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Pierce? Randolph? Norfolk?
I’ll have to look back in the messages. All I remember is the town was pretty much an intersection. Handful of houses on one side, gas station on one corner and a Subway, laundromat and quick mart on the other. When I say there were less than a dozen buildings I mean it lol.

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to look back in the messages. All I remember is the town was pretty much an intersection. Handful of houses on one side, gas station on one corner and a Subway, laundromat and quick mart on the other. When I say there were less than a dozen buildings I mean it lol.
Maybe Hadar? I'm trying to remember what other really small towns are around there.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Maybe Hadar? I'm trying to remember what other really small towns are around there.
So I guess it was Madison. Idk if it’s like it is in Northern Wisconsin out there where you can be like 20 min north of “town” and it’s still the same address. Because there wasn’t shit where I was at.

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
So I guess it was Madison. Idk if it’s like it is in Northern Wisconsin out there where you can be like 20 min north of “town” and it’s still the same address. Because there wasn’t shit where I was at.
Yup, farms will still have a city address...or at least look like it. There's a pretty killer Mexican restaurant in Madison....I used to go there a l lot when I lived 10 minutes away.

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Man I was never a big fan of cats until I got out of town, we usually get a few little ones every year now as they tend to wander off or stuff happens to em bein out by the river.

Stella here is some of the best entertainment life has to offer. She's a stray one of my exs drug over here so some idiot didn't feed her to a pitbull and been one of the best forms of pest control I've ever seen. Other than the occasional squealin bunny or half a bird layin in the driveway she's been a hell of a cat and the only outside one to hang around. She's become pretty good company tho I'd bout trade her for my idiot border collie any day IMG_20210514_111843_847.jpg 20210514_135412.jpg Snapchat-1865829351.jpg

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
A good cat is amazing to sit and watch sometimes. I was just watching one trying to catch a bird the other day.

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Oh that one doesn't try its about a daily occurrence somethins out in the yard screaming for help now that it's nice out again.

We got some.more kittens comin in a week or two hopefully it keeps her occupied and she stops Killin everything that moves cuz she's bored :ROFLMAO:

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Finished up planting soybeans tonight. I also did a little spraying. It was gorgeous out.

IMG_20210522_191854160_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210522_192220695.jpg

IMG_20210522_193225312_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210522_205608855.jpg

IMG_20210522_205704460.jpg

IMG_20210522_211227365.jpg

And, I wasn't going to not take a picture of this, even it if may be middle school humor. Finished planting, picked up the drill, looked at the hour meter, and the rest is history.

IMG_20210522_211532705.jpg

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Congrats on gettin it in man!

Way more mature than me ill take a pic anytime my truck says it's 69 degrees out :ROFLMAO:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
If your weather was anything like we had last night it was a gift.

How are you guys for rain? It’s getting pretty bad here. Skies finally gave up some rain over the past 48 hours but it’s nowhere what we need. I’m in the northeast corner of the black arrow county.

CEB4E881-7564-448B-9CC6-D990C3884870.jpeg

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Idk bout further east but here it's been droppin enough to keep things wet about every other night and dryin out by the end of the day. Doesnt seem like near as much as we've had the past couple years tho

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm in that county. We are sitting decent, but we've been missing lots of big rains. It's been super spotty as of late. Lots of chances for rain last week, and we only got about .30" the whole week. I been seeing lots of predictions for a dry year. Screenshot_20210523-124226~2.png

RdRnnR

wannabe racecar builder
Reaction score
Not gonna be a good thing with the cost of energy on a constant rise. You got pivots on most of it? Diesel or electric? I bet these guys would be amazed what it costs to run one of those things for a week.

We use to have alot of 454s on gravity and I did a year or so pullin big wells before I had enough of that. The shop I worked at growing up used to make the cooling coils for the cat engines that were genius. Used the well water to cool off some 2 inch copper lines brazed inside the pipe right off the well head and worked pretty amazing for as simple a concept as it was.

OP
GTPpower

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Not gonna be a good thing with the cost of energy on a constant rise. You got pivots on most of it? Diesel or electric? I bet these guys would be amazed what it costs to run one of those things for a week.

We use to have alot of 454s on gravity and I did a year or so pullin big wells before I had enough of that. The shop I worked at growing up used to make the cooling coils for the cat engines that were genius. Used the well water to cool off some 2 inch copper lines brazed inside the pipe right off the well head and worked pretty amazing for as simple a concept as it was.

We are mostly dry land. We have 140 acres that are pivot irrigated, but the rest is dry.

It may seem like it costs a lot, and it's definitely not cheap, but once you figure the cost per acre, it's actually pretty low.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Damn, that’ll keep you and your family fed for a while lol. Sending critters to slaughter is probably my last favorite part of the life, but I feel like if I’m going to eat meat I shouldn’t ignore the reality of where it came from. We’re probably going to be butchering the wethers that don’t sell since they end up being a waste of feed after a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom