The Ford Ranger is back in America

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I really WANT to like the Ranger...I don't hate how it looks. I'm a little irritated by the lack of powertrain options. I'm a bit surprised about the build/material quality knock, as I thought Ford had gotten their act together.

I really want to like the Gladiator too. I like just about everything about it, except for crash worthiness...

The main problem I have with all mid-size trucks, is price though...The Jeep at $55K as tested, and isn't even optioned out. The other trucks are cheaper, but not enough cheaper than their 1/2 ton brothers...I get that full size trucks are tougher to get around...but, if I'm just going to the store, why not just take the wifey's car? The full size trucks also, aren't getting THAT much worse economy than the mid-sizers...I want to like mid-size trucks, I just can't get there.

this has been being said for forever, and yet people are snatching these up still like crazy.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Its funny because KJ owns a one ton and gets the mid size segment and why they sell.

Just because you don't own or want to own a midsize doesn't mean you can't get why they sell so well.

I could say after owning our midsize that I don't get why so many soccer dads buy crew cab short bed trucks.....

But I do...

=D

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I really want to like the Gladiator too. I like just about everything about it, except for crash worthiness...

I thought it did ok in crash worthiness, but was dinged heavily because it didn't have all that shit that beeps and screams at you and brakes for you, all of which breaks every ten minutes and isn't repairable unless you head to the dealer...? And it doesn't coddle the pedestrian when it hits them, stuff like that.... or did it actually do poorly in crash testing in relation to occupant safety?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Its funny because KJ owns a one ton and gets the mid size segment and why they sell.

Just because you don't own or want to own a midsize doesn't mean you can't get why they sell so well.

I could say after owning our midsize that I don't get why so many soccer dads buy crew cab short bed trucks.....

But I do...

=D

I understand it, I just don't get it (I'm not sure if that makes sense).

I understand the appeal and why the segment exists, and would actually love a mid-size truck, IF the prices were more in line with what I think they should be. But trucks are just expensive, and it's something I have to deal with and get that it's not changing

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I thought it did ok in crash worthiness, but was dinged heavily because it didn't have all that shit that beeps and screams at you and brakes for you, all of which breaks every ten minutes and isn't repairable unless you head to the dealer...? And it doesn't coddle the pedestrian when it hits them, stuff like that.... or did it actually do poorly in crash testing in relation to occupant safety?

Side impact is only marginal (2/4) and headlights are also just bad. But yeah it gets heavily dinged for not having the auto-braking and other BS. But the front impact gets good marks.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
"The new tune from Ford Performance takes the Ranger’s 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder up from the stock 270 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque to a pleasant 320 HP and 355 lb-ft, according to Road & Track: "

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info