YouTube The Ford GT is the king of Car & Driver's VIR lightning lap

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
People saying that the GT would be faster with a pro behind the wheel? No shit. But you know what else? So would the Camaro.

The GT is really impressive. The ZL1 1LE is just bonkers good. I am surprised that the GT was able to best the 918, but so much more impressive is that the Camaro is just a couple ticks behind the GT. I am a gigantic Ford :nutz: but there is absolutely no denying that if you want to buy a car to go around a road course faster than basically anything else on the road for under $100K, you HAVE to get one of the Camaro versions.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
People saying that the GT would be faster with a pro behind the wheel? No shit. But you know what else? So would the Camaro.

The GT is really impressive. The ZL1 1LE is just bonkers good. I am surprised that the GT was able to best the 918, but so much more impressive is that the Camaro is just a couple ticks behind the GT. I am a gigantic Ford :nutz: but there is absolutely no denying that if you want to buy a car to go around a road course faster than basically anything else on the road for under $100K, you HAVE to get one of the Camaro versions.

We obviously haven't driven either, but my thoughts are that some cars are easier to drive at the limit. BMW and Porsche are known for their precision for example. The GT is basically a race car homologated for the street. Maybe it's more difficult to drive at the limit in the hands of an amatuer. Who knows? You can probably make the same argument with the ZL1 too.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
We obviously haven't driven either, but my thoughts are that some cars are easier to drive at the limit. BMW and Porsche are known for their precision for example. The GT is basically a race car homologated for the street. Maybe it's more difficult to drive at the limit in the hands of an amatuer. Who knows? You can probably make the same argument with the ZL1 too.

And that's basically my point. At THAT limit, you need a pro to actually wring everything out of a car. Poebst is great because he can seemingly get into any car and post consistent lap times.

But at the same time, when the ACR was first coming out and was getting all the hype, Randy was ragging on it, and wasn't posting particularly fast times. The chief of SRT came out slamming Randy because he wasn't "brave enough" or something to drive the car at its true limits.

I guess what I'm saying is, having a pro drive these cars is probably the best way to compare the performance of one car against another. BUT that even pros may not be able to drive certain cars as fast because it doesn't suit their driving style, or abilities, or whatever variable. Maybe the best way to compare a car is to have the manufacturer's pro come out and set lap times against other manufacturer's pros, on the same day. You know, like a race :rofl:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
It's still 6.8 seconds slower than the car before it.

It's not surprising it's ahead of the other cars on the list. There are several other car not tested that are more it's equal. Car I bet would be quicker.

Not bad "for a Mustang". But step up your game Ford.

Agreed its got some pretty nice cars behind it but I realize cars like the ZL1 Camaro is in another league itself too but not listed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info