The electric crate motor era?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I must say, I have become a lot more lazy these days and love electric. My 40v ryobi outdoor tools have been stellar. Gone are the days of two stroke fuel and pulling the cord 50 times to try and get something started. I dont miss it.

All I want is battery technology to evolve past lithium for something more renewable.

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I just read about this tech recently. Pretty awesome for the car hobby.

I’m really really slowly accepting electric vehicle tech. I just love the sounds, smells and shifting of gears in a gas vehicle.

8b13b26aa2f608e6a5d2465a9cb4a052.jpg

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
1573141089285.png

I find it interesting that a lot of these electric concepts are coming with actual transmissions. There's a Mustang electric concept with a 6 speed manual, and this "E10" looks to have a 4L75e
Yeah an MT-82 modified to take an instantaneous 1000 lbf*ft.... I'd like to see how they accomplished that.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
My issue with crate motors and conversions is the power supply. I know a buddy who works for GM had to go to special training to work on their electric vehicles. The power they have can easily kill someone who isn't careful or who doesn't understand electricity or proper wiring.

In work in an automotive field. People hate testing electrical systems on cars. Even simple 1960 muscle cars. Because they don't understand electricity, wiring diagrams, and so on. Now swap a battery pack into a car that wasn't designed for one? People are going to end up dead. Especially ones who like to cut corners as it is.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
My issue with crate motors and conversions is the power supply. I know a buddy who works for GM had to go to special training to work on their electric vehicles. The power they have can easily kill someone who isn't careful or who doesn't understand electricity or proper wiring.

In work in an automotive field. People hate testing electrical systems on cars. Even simple 1960 muscle cars. Because they don't understand electricity, wiring diagrams, and so on. Now swap a battery pack into a car that wasn't designed for one? People are going to end up dead. Especially ones who like to cut corners as it is.

it’s not too bad

5CE4E006-3E7A-4C81-8DD6-BBF4DFDF2A04.jpeg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I mean gas is highly volatile, and if you don’t know your plumbing capabilities, it could cause fires and death too. Know your limitations and make sure you understand what you are doing. Electricity is dangerous, if you don’t know what you’re doing or are trying to work above your knowledge base, but it also can be really safe if you know what you are doing and take the proper precautions

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The thing about EV car electricity is that it’s invisible and instantly deadly. People really don’t have experience with 300+ volts DC so they don’t know how deadly it is. Sure a gas fire is scary and you can get hurt, but people understand gasoline and can expect it to ignite. If you don’t understand that 300V DV will stop your heart in a thousandth of a second, you can’t prepare for it. And some people are arrogant about it thinking “well I shocked myself with the wall outlet at 120v so it can’t be that bad”.... well 300-400v DC isn’t like that bud, it just kills you, instantly. See above picture for my PPE 1000v rubber gloves with leather covers. I’m not scared of it but I sure as hell pay attention to what I’m doing

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The thing about EV car electricity is that it’s invisible and instantly deadly. People really don’t have experience with 300+ volts DC so they don’t know how deadly it is. Sure a gas fire is scary and you can get hurt, but people understand gasoline and can expect it to ignite. If you don’t understand that 300V DV will stop your heart in a thousandth of a second, you can’t prepare for it. And some people are arrogant about it thinking “well I shocked myself with the wall outlet at 120v so it can’t be that bad”.... well 300-400v DC isn’t like that bud, it just kills you, instantly. See above picture for my PPE 1000v rubber gloves with leather covers. I’m not scared of it but I sure as hell pay attention to what I’m doing

Honestly that’s far less PPE than I was expecting. That’s similar to what would be required for hot work on a 120/240 panel. I’ve had electricians in the 40cal arc flash suits doing work for me on 4160. They say it’s mostly just to keep your limbs and organs in one piece, because if that flashes, the shockwave alone will kill you instantly, nevermind the hot as the sun ball of fire.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I took 5kv to the face, and 450 across the heart...I’m still kicking

but both were low amps. Oh, and it hurt bad.

the ev batteries are high amps though, you’d burn if you were in the current path

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

This is spot on. I've seen plenty of electric fans wired up in a way that could cause a fire. If a lot of hobbyists struggle to wire up a small fan motor, imagine the hack jobs we'll see with large motors producing 1,000+ lb/ft of torque.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info