The downside of beautiful weather......

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I "think" my stock pump is slow enough to allow for the time to cool, but we shall see. I would also be curious to see what the 7 gallon ice box would do for me for daily driving and no ice in the system.

Not sure about your pump, but when I had to replace mine (A Bosch nonetheless), I bought a replacement off flea-bay. Before installing it (it's a PITA), I bench tested it to make sure it worked. These pumps really aren't that powerful. Think of one of those little hand held plastic collapseable bladed fans. Those blow air harder than this I/C pump.

However, I will say, it was a night and day difference once it was installed. I could actually place my hand on my intercooler without frying it.

Mine looks like this;
JlpxPqz.jpg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
A lot of guys run the rule pumps some have them burn up some have good luck with them, either way they are cheap flow well and have a year replacement warranty if it does burn up, if you do go the ice box route, if not I’d stick with the stock pump flowing slower would probably benefit heat transfer with the killer chiller and it would all be short runs of hose anyway

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The problem with low GPM is the fluid is in the heat exchanger under the blower for a long time. Heating the water quickly and not allowing enough cool water to pull heat out efficiently. It seems when guys use the higher flow pumps it makes it more efficient reducing AIT.

The more fluid in the system the better off you are as mentioned already. It helps fend off the heat soak. A large heat exchanger to cool the water, post blower heat exchanger, is helpful as well.

Line size is another area that effects flow. Too small of lines & fittings would impede flow as well.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
In addition, in my setup, they run 4 cooler cores in series of 2 each, which means by the time the heat gets through the first core, to the second core, it's not doing shit for the most part. They should've run all 4 in parallel for maximum effectiveness.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The point he's making is more flow isn't always better. There's a point of diminishing returns, where, as he said, flow is so fast it won't pull heat out efficiently. The Terminator pumps may be on the weak end from the factory (so it'll last years, instead of crapping out after 1 year) so an upgraded pump may be beneficial.

But also say, a 5 gph pump may not flow enough on a larger AWIC but may be too strong for smaller one. What I'm trying to say is, you have to match the flow rate to the system instead of just saying one pump is a catch all, for all systems.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I agree. I 'm not saying the biggest pump is best for all applications. I even hinted at the fact that hose size, bends, and all that will reduce flow. If you add a trunk mounted water tank, especially in a big sedan Hellcat, the lines alone running front to back will cause the pump to be less effective. That adds a lot of water to move in the hoses. I bet it at least doubles the amount of hose length of the stock system. If not much more. Although not a height in an automotive application, but I doubt all that extra water line is something the factory pump's static head is rated for.

My point I would rather have my heat exchanger under the blower in a constant cool bath than in a warm water bath. Slow moving water in that heat exchanger will heat the water quickly. Water movement and aeration increase heat transfer as well. Think increasing surface area.

The stock hose diameter and fittings are probably going to limit any upgrades of the system anyways. A complete overhaul of the system is really the only right way to increase efficiency to make a noticeable difference anyways.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
A buddy and I both had over 1,200 hp and ran air to water intercoolers. We both had been able to cruise on the street with just ambient air temps. A correctly matched air to water system with a heat exchanger can be very effective on the street. But neither of us were limited by using production parts either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info