🏡 Better Homes The "Custom House Build" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
Wife just told me she doesn't want a spiral staircase, so this ^ is how it's gonna happen. Worry about stairs later.

I'd like to just chill for a 4-5 years then go all out and do a pool, patio, finished basement, and stairs off the deck. I really don't need to do a patio anytime soon if the basement isn't finished and it's not connected to the deck, so maybe no patio next year.

Bro.
You know Wifey's gonna want all that outdoor shit next spring. And a pool. And all to match the paver driveway.
Ain't no waiting here man, full speed ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Bro.
You know Wifey's gonna want all that outdoor shit next spring. And a pool. And all to match the paver driveway.
Ain't no waiting here man, full speed ahead.
She can do whatever she wants, I told her once we close the only money going towards the house from my checks will be to cover half of the mortgage lol. Check back in 3 years

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
FirstWorldProblems N20GT you can always add a staircase later, tbh. Just leave the upper terrace as the comfortable chill/grill spot (yeah, I said terrace, because with that house, that's what it should be called) separate for now, and you can use the lower terrace if hanging/playing with the kid(s). Then down the road with V2 of house revamp: finish closet, add staircase, and whatever else.

Naw do it now and be done with the house

• Dislike
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Add me to the trust and i'll have them installed and even put your name on each step

Remember what I told you about building your monster home I’ve been thru it and the upgrades and extra purchases will leave you stunned.

giphy.gif

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Easily $30k. The garage slab alone was quoted at $15k so I passed

Yup its all fluff.

Pex is cheap, boiler is a minimal costs and water is free.

I'd be doing it myself for a couple grand

Boiler and controls are easily 7-10k wholesale cost without any labor added on.

That thing has been heating baes old house for 10 years. 74 is no issue dead of winter, 1200 sq ft house.

You probably only need 60 degree radiant to keep the snow off.
I'll resume posting status updates when DEEZUZ DEEZUZ tells us, with specifics, how he would heat 1,000 sq ft of concrete for a couple grand as he mentioned above

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Serious question, are they still on pace to get in you when you were expecting, or might it be a little earlier or later?
IMO it should be earlier, but the builder will not commit to anything before 9/30. I'll give it another couple of weeks then I'm probably just going to tell him i'm scheduling closing for 9/20 lol. I've told him I want 9/15 so the 20th will be my compromise.

Counters are all in, tile is all done, trim is at least 90% done, they poured the sidewalk today, landscaping starts wednesday, appraisal is ordered. It's moving now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info