🏡 Better Homes The "Custom House Build" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
We're trying to figure out how to do the deck stairs. The surface of the deck is 12' above the patio when you factor in joists, so it's not easy or cheap

Schillings drew this up (pic in next post), and the stairs alone are $16k lmfao. Not to mention the other shit we chose for the deck already doubled the cost. More expensive trex, steel railing with integrated lights etc

SPIRAL STAIRCASE IT IS
1658325613909.png

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Why are we comparing a shop where multiple people work 40+ hours a week year round.... to a residential garage that doesn't do anything except have a couple cars parked in it?

For a shop the cost prob makes sense. For a garage that never has people in it in the winter, forced air and an extra $14k in my pocket FTW
We're not.

People saying $20k to hear your little garage is drive way. There is just no way.
DEEZUZ DEEZUZ how many years did it take you to do tile and counters in your house again?
I'm in the 7th year of remodel

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
FirstWorldProblems N20GT you can always add a staircase later, tbh. Just leave the upper terrace as the comfortable chill/grill spot (yeah, I said terrace, because with that house, that's what it should be called) separate for now, and you can use the lower terrace if hanging/playing with the kid(s). Then down the road with V2 of house revamp: finish closet, add staircase, and whatever else.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I really like this option but the price is insane.....

What price quote has given you the most sticker shock through this entire process Conrad? Was it the closet organization?
i'm numb to it all

but serious though, prob electrical, then floors. Somehow I went $12k over on electrical and I don't even remember how. I have the itemized list and it made sense when they walked me through it but that didn't make it hurt any less. The generator was in the contract so it's not like there was one big item that got me there

Floors..... I thought I was generous with our allowance, so when I was in there picking carpet at $2.50/ft and wood at like $7.80/ft IIRC I was thrilled to at least be near budget on floors....BAM $13k over. What the FUCK. Same thing as above, I have the itemized invoice and had a couple friends look through it to confirm I wasn't getting shafted, then I just accepted it

At least I have my glorious ~$29k in lumber savings. My lifesaver. Love teh lumber

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
FirstWorldProblems N20GT you can always add a staircase later, tbh. Just leave the upper terrace as the comfortable chill/grill spot (yeah, I said terrace, because with that house, that's what it should be called) separate for now, and you can use the lower terrace if hanging/playing with the kid(s). Then down the road with V2 of house revamp: finish closet, add staircase, and whatever else.
Wife just told me she doesn't want a spiral staircase, so this ^ is how it's gonna happen. Worry about stairs later.

I'd like to just chill for a 4-5 years then go all out and do a pool, patio, finished basement, and stairs off the deck. I really don't need to do a patio anytime soon if the basement isn't finished and it's not connected to the deck, so maybe no patio next year.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Wife just told me she doesn't want a spiral staircase, so this ^ is how it's gonna happen. Worry about stairs later.

I'd like to just chill for a 4-5 years then go all out and do a pool, patio, finished basement, and stairs off the deck. I really don't need to do a patio anytime soon if the basement isn't finished and it's not connected to the deck, so maybe no patio next year.
If kid doesn't some crazy shit in the backyard while you two are on the upper terrace, just toss ballerina wifey off the terrace, she'll do some swan something-or-other and land gracefully on only her toes, and rescue little man.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005

TCG crew will have to wait 5 years for a pool party?

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info