The Chicago Garage Top Ten Lap Times - Road Courses

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Falling off too quickly?

Just too sensitive to temps. Figured that out just via autocross - the surface overheats. And if you over-drive them a tiny bit and push (so you get a little slide) then the surface seems to super-heat and they take forever to come back.

That and once you've used a proper track tire (Hoosier R7, etc.) it's tough to want to go back to a 200TW.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
New PB at Autobahn full today!

Phalabala | 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE | Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R | 2:42.91 | NA | GarminCatalyst

As exported by the Catalyst:

hauling ass and looking very composed. Good work! Your top speeds on the straights are crazy. Are those new tires? Car sounds so good too.

Phalabala

Regular
Aug 18, 2015
Inverness
hauling ass and looking very composed. Good work! Your top speeds on the straights are crazy. Are those new tires? Car sounds so good too.

I think this vid is a good example of fast looking slow... very drama free lap :)

actually, it is a set of Supercar 3Rs that are toast after Monday. I have another (heat cycled by tirerack) set ready to go.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
PS, as the track gets bumpier and bumpier, I'm definitely getting air over the jump on link2.
Stay to the far right on the back link, you'll get air.

My first time there on the bike I ran intermediate (full course) and it was raining. By early afternoon it had dried up, but since the instructors were leading the first lap or two of each wet session (for safety) I learned the lines really quick.

I had completely forgotten about them telling everyone to stay left to avoid launching yourself. I was learning how late and hard I could brake into that corner and was passing about six guys while staying to the right. I'm not sure either of my tires touched the pavement on the back side of that hill. It was then I realize just HOW hard I could brake and still make the right turn, almost getting my elbow on to the raised rumble strips. That was on a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R with EBC HH pads and the factory master cylinder. The next year I swapped in a radial master (much better braking feel) and really pushed my limits.

From then on I usually go up the middle. Even on my 600 I can carry the front wheel off the ground coming down the back of it and still have plenty of time to brake and turn without ruining my lap time. But now I don't push myself as much as I used to. I'll cruise around doing about 7/10 my pace and might do 8/10 every now and then. I'm getting old and I don't bounce down the track as well as I used to.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
Stay to the far right on the back link, you'll get air.

My first time there on the bike I ran intermediate (full course) and it was raining. By early afternoon it had dried up, but since the instructors were leading the first lap or two of each wet session (for safety) I learned the lines really quick.

I had completely forgotten about them telling everyone to stay left to avoid launching yourself. I was learning how late and hard I could brake into that corner and was passing about six guys while staying to the right. I'm not sure either of my tires touched the pavement on the back side of that hill. It was then I realize just HOW hard I could brake and still make the right turn, almost getting my elbow on to the raised rumble strips. That was on a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R with EBC HH pads and the factory master cylinder. The next year I swapped in a radial master (much better braking feel) and really pushed my limits.

From then on I usually go up the middle. Even on my 600 I can carry the front wheel off the ground coming down the back of it and still have plenty of time to brake and turn without ruining my lap time. But now I don't push myself as much as I used to. I'll cruise around doing about 7/10 my pace and might do 8/10 every now and then. I'm getting old and I don't bounce down the track as well as I used to.

Jesus Christ, that sounds awesome and terrifying. They should just put a camera on that hill that automatically takes pictures. I’m sure it would pay for itself.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Jesus Christ, that sounds awesome and terrifying. They should just put a camera on that hill that automatically takes pictures. I’m sure it would pay for itself.
I have to dig through my old videos, but I might have some onboard from my ContourHD where you can see I’m off the ground. I know I have one somewhere where you see the angle going up as you go up the hill, then as I crest it the angle doesn’t change. You can hear the front tire chirp when it makes contact and then the sound of my brake pads on the rotors. The camera was mounted to my right fairing about halfway up from the bottom. When I did right turns with heavy lean angles it almost seems like the camera is going to hit the ground. The ultra-wide angle (135°) does that.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
I might have to take a 1/2 day and come down to watch....
bring the infinity out, not to late to register!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
PS, as the track gets bumpier and bumpier, I'm definitely getting air over the jump on link2.
It's crazy to me with the ABSURD amount of money at that track, how bumpy it is. I've legit never been to a bumpier track. Can't believe people pay $40k+ in signup costs to be a member there tbh.

I only do the north course, was just there saturday, and the huge bump in braking zone for t1 gets my back tire all sideways every fucking time. I know i'm giving up 1-2 seconds there because I can't brake as late as I normally would without almost losing it over the bump

It's my least fav track for sure but I go there because it's convenient, any other track day is an overnighter

Bump location circled in green

1631295759572.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info