The Chicago Garage Top Ten Lap Times - Road Courses

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah I got lucky that my brake temps were almost within range. Had to come off once because of an issue without a cool down lap and my brakes were smoking.

Guy I was there with was having oil and fuel temp issues.

Your fastest lap was almost perfect hitting all of the turns, nice job! Is this your first year on a good sticky tire? I remember you always being on a normal performance tire, but nothing in the 200tw territory.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it doesn't seem like it should be that bad there but it's brutal. i think i had pad fade on my 2800 lb bbk car (guess that's mostly just pad choice though?) - and this was with the gt radial sx2 tires, not rs4s, so the car could easily have had more brake use. my oil temps with a coolant based oil cooler are 250-260 at autobahn, at blackhawk 260-270. iirc these were 20 minute sessions too! don't even know why that runs so much warmer? good track to expose your car's weak points!

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Your fastest lap was almost perfect hitting all of the turns, nice job! Is this your first year on a good sticky tire? I remember you always being on a normal performance tire, but nothing in the 200tw territory.
Thanks, I was having so many issues carrying the right amount of speed through 7, but man did it feel good when I got it right.

I got the rs4's middle of last year. Put 3 ab full mondays,2 Ab gridlife, Blackhawk and hoping for at least one more ab monday and a gingerman in them. I also daily drive on them so they will he showing cords this fall. Will probably put 300tw summers on a set for around town and going back and forth on moving up to 17x9 wheels with 245-255 square setup or 255 up front and 225 in the rear.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Session 2 me following Jeff

https://youtu.be/lHtlNzN5xFU

[MENTION=2222]Intel[/MENTION] only bit of advice i can give you is turn 5, you are turning in too early, need to wait until you can see the apex then turn in. if you ever get a car with more horse power you will end up way off to the right or hitting the brakes to stop from going out there. outside of that you look good everywhere else i could see. thats a hard corner not to turn in early, i know not to do it and yet i still catch myself doing it all the time.

great job!

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Thanks for the advice, makes sense, just found it hard to get out far enough right to do ot. Will habe to watch the videos again.

Looks like some brake ducting is in my future. Chewed through a lot of pad for a weekend. 20180808_083402.jpg20180808_083355.jpg

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Username of car owner: OmniGLH
Driver Name: Jim

Track: Autobahn
Configuration: Full
Car Driven: 2006 Cayman S
Tires: RE-71R
Lap Time: 2:44.990
Method of data acquisition: AiM SoloDL
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0G7mz27ixw

Car Driven: 2007 Cayman SPC
Tires: Hoosier R7
Lap Time: 2:40.7
Method of data acquisition: AiM MXL2
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77h_9FAijus

Track: Blackhawk
Lap Time: 1:16.880
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBMSDPEjvA

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Username of car owner: OmniGLH
Driver Name: Jim

Tires: RE-71R
Lap Time: 2:44.990
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0G7mz27ixw

Car Driven: 2007 Cayman SPC
Lap Time: 2:40.7
Method of data acquisition: AiM MXL2
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77h_9FAijus

Track: Blackhawk
Lap Time: 1:16.880
Link to video or results (optional): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neBMSDPEjvA

which ab full lap time you want to use? your car or the spec car ?

and no lap times from other tracks?

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
Spent the weekend a loose car before consulting a friend of mine (contract data guy for Flying Lizards, TRG, and a few other pro teams) and learning that the tire pressures I was told to run (36-38 hot) were WAY too high.

Dropped them down to 32-33psi and picked up a solid second. That's still higher psi than what was recommended to me - so plan was to go out in the next session and run them even lower... but I'd corded the driver's front. Apparently this is where my request to have a conservative alignment "so I don't shred my street tires" starts to have an impact. I'm 100% confident I'd have hit the 32s....

Control arm shims for more cambers are on order.....

Track: Road America
Configuration: Kinky
Lap Time: 2:33.168
Link to video or results (optional):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZN1taF0qkc

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
PS hi everybody
[MENTION=11102]J-LO[/MENTION] - missed your comment about me not using my car for the faster ABCC lap... so... FINE... *sigh* (LOL)

Now the question is: are you gonna beat your own laps with your shiny new Cayman? :D

I'll tell you - if I find a decent shape set of used R7's... knowing what I know now about correct pressures, and adding in more camberzz I'm gunning for legit 15s at BHF....

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Spent the weekend a loose car before consulting a friend of mine (contract data guy for Flying Lizards, TRG, and a few other pro teams) and learning that the tire pressures I was told to run (36-38 hot) were WAY too high.

Dropped them down to 32-33psi and picked up a solid second. That's still higher psi than what was recommended to me - so plan was to go out in the next session and run them even lower... but I'd corded the driver's front. Apparently this is where my request to have a conservative alignment "so I don't shred my street tires" starts to have an impact. I'm 100% confident I'd have hit the 32s....

Control arm shims for more cambers are on order.....

Track: Road America
Configuration: Kinky
Lap Time: 2:33.168
Link to video or results (optional):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZN1taF0qkc

what kind of camber do you have?

i spent a bunch on a new brz then parts for it, and i was thinking shit, i coulda just got a cayman and had a light car from the get go with all this stuff accessible to me anyway. one of those things was stock you can pull -1.7 to -1.9 in the brz while i now in the front run -3.5. i figured with a cayman you could get a lot more than my -1.9 straight from the factory though, and i thought i may have come out a lot better simply buying one from the start. in reality i'm sure i would have found yet more crap to blow money on though.

if i got rid of the brz i'd be taking a hard look at used caymans and a new pupra

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
what kind of camber do you have?

i spent a bunch on a new brz then parts for it, and i was thinking shit, i coulda just got a cayman and had a light car from the get go with all this stuff accessible to me anyway. one of those things was stock you can pull -1.7 to -1.9 in the brz while i now in the front run -3.5. i figured with a cayman you could get a lot more than my -1.9 straight from the factory though, and i thought i may have come out a lot better simply buying one from the start. in reality i'm sure i would have found yet more crap to blow money on though.

if i got rid of the brz i'd be taking a hard look at used caymans and a new pupra

The Cayman, stock, I don't think you can get a full 2 degrees. You need to swap to the GT3 lower control arms, which are 2-piece and utilize shims to make them longer and get you camber.

Caymans seem to like as much camber as you can give them. Most full track prepped cars are 3.5-4.0 degrees up front.

I've got all the right stuff to get the geometry - but I don't do more than 2-3 track events a year usually. Most of my time spent with my car is commuting (ugh - but with a wife and kid this is generally the time I'm afforded to use it) and autocross (love AX.) So I had Olsen go conservative on the alignment figuring a little bit of compromise would be fine. I'm just over 2 degrees in the front, and right at or under 2 degrees in the rear. Olsen forgot to give me the setup sheet so I'm speculating based on a semi-level lift in my garage and a Longacre camber gauge but even eyeballing the car - I don't have crazy camber. Based on how the car handles (understeers steady-state) I know for sure I need more. The tire wear confirms it.

My actual plans are to level out my lift this weekend, re-check camber, measure the current F/R toe, then add in 5mm shims all the way around (10mm = 1 degree, roughly), and reset the toe.

The Cayman is a great car out of the box - and does OK on the track. Definitely more than enough for, I'd say, up through an intermediate driver. Once you get faster though, you start running into issues. The car can/will go faster (and do it just fine) but you'll start tearing up tires, burning up brakes, etc. Depending on which generation Cayman, you'll want to look into some preventative measures to keep from oil starvation, oil/water temps, etc.

your track map looks surprisingly rough for aim solo data

Beats me. The AiM SoloDL is mine. I borrowed the SmartyCam from a friend because I am tired of messing around with GoPro cameras and RaceRender, and didn't feel like dropping $1000 for a camera that won't get much use. It all works fine but it takes time.... the SmartyCam, it's all done right there in the camera. So I don't have any power over how it draws the track map. His camera was set to 720p so maybe that has something to do with it?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The Cayman, stock, I don't think you can get a full 2 degrees. You need to swap to the GT3 lower control arms, which are 2-piece and utilize shims to make them longer and get you camber.

Caymans seem to like as much camber as you can give them. Most full track prepped cars are 3.5-4.0 degrees up front.

I've got all the right stuff to get the geometry - but I don't do more than 2-3 track events a year usually. Most of my time spent with my car is commuting (ugh - but with a wife and kid this is generally the time I'm afforded to use it) and autocross (love AX.) So I had Olsen go conservative on the alignment figuring a little bit of compromise would be fine. I'm just over 2 degrees in the front, and right at or under 2 degrees in the rear. Olsen forgot to give me the setup sheet so I'm speculating based on a semi-level lift in my garage and a Longacre camber gauge but even eyeballing the car - I don't have crazy camber. Based on how the car handles (understeers steady-state) I know for sure I need more. The tire wear confirms it.

My actual plans are to level out my lift this weekend, re-check camber, measure the current F/R toe, then add in 5mm shims all the way around (10mm = 1 degree, roughly), and reset the toe.

The Cayman is a great car out of the box - and does OK on the track. Definitely more than enough for, I'd say, up through an intermediate driver. Once you get faster though, you start running into issues. The car can/will go faster (and do it just fine) but you'll start tearing up tires, burning up brakes, etc. Depending on which generation Cayman, you'll want to look into some preventative measures to keep from oil starvation, oil/water temps, etc.

Beats me. The AiM SoloDL is mine. I borrowed the SmartyCam from a friend because I am tired of messing around with GoPro cameras and RaceRender, and didn't feel like dropping $1000 for a camera that won't get much use. It all works fine but it takes time.... the SmartyCam, it's all done right there in the camera. So I don't have any power over how it draws the track map. His camera was set to 720p so maybe that has something to do with it?

ah interesting thanks.

on the rendering, can definitely understand not wanting to dick with it, are those gauges always indicative of a smarty cam? maybe gps signal was bad there, or (for some reason) it's not using the 10 hz sampling of gps, or maybe the resolution - i don't have jaggy stuff (although mine's much jaggier usually) until i'm rendering 1 hz data.

OmniGLH

Regular
Apr 24, 2013
Huntley
ah interesting thanks.

on the rendering, can definitely understand not wanting to dick with it, are those gauges always indicative of a smarty cam? maybe gps signal was bad there, or (for some reason) it's not using the 10 hz sampling of gps, or maybe the resolution - i don't have jaggy stuff (although mine's much jaggier usually) until i'm rendering 1 hz data.

I think that gauge layout is a "standard" one. I definitely see that layout everywhere.

You can for sure customize it, but since it wasn't my camera, I didn't mess with it... just plugged it in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info