The cheat code - Mike K gets an i8

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
These cars look cool, I just can’t wrap my head Around them. I guess if you are looking for a sporty hybrid with cool doors this is it.

For me even when these were new it was hard to see the true value. They were more expensive than a Tesla and slower. But granted you can just fill the gas tank on this and go.

I would say at 30k it would be interesting in my personal opinion.

It just scratches a different itch. Comparing this to a Tesla is kind of absurd though. Why would anyone cross-shop this with any Tesla?

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It just scratches a different itch. Comparing this to a Tesla is kind of absurd though. Why would anyone cross-shop this with any Tesla?

I mean brand new I guess that would have been a better argument simply because of price and the whole hybrid/electric sports car thing. Comparing new this to a p100d

Again now probably not. It’s cool no doubt, but just not sure I ever could get behind these cars. Obviously due to this horrible depreciation. Not many others did as well.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I mean brand new I guess that would have been a better argument simply because of price and the whole hybrid/electric sports car thing. Comparing new this to a p100d

Again now probably not. It’s cool no doubt, but just not sure I ever could get behind these cars. Obviously due to this horrible depreciation. Not many others did as well.

I don't know man. Even new it seems like a stretch. I don't think most of the people that bought these bought them to be green. This isn't a green car that happens to be exotic. It's an exotic car that happens to be green. Most people that bought them don't care and many of the people on the i8 boards don't even charge their cars. It is the antithesis to the i3 which was a green car and largely purchased by people looking for an all electric car.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
Congrats nice car . Nice looking supercar with shitty powertrain. I know a local guy that had one , we switched cars for a quick spin . I didn't even know the powertrain on them before I took it for a spin , I always thought they had V8TT engines like the big M cars . I came back super disappointed. Car was kind of slow and had crappy exhaust sound. I seriously wasn't expecting that from a supercar looking BMW .I drove my my sisters 2016 GT couple weeks before the I8 and it felt quicker

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John

Edmunds said it best:

“If you're looking for other performance cars with green credentials, the Tesla Model S probably comes closest. It's purely electric, though, so you lose the gas-powered flexibility of the BMW; also, the Tesla is a large four-door hatchback, so it's a much different beast from behind the wheel. The Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid like the i8, and its EV range and fuel-economy numbers are competitive, but again, it's a large four-door hatchback, not a sports car. Ultimately, for the plug-in fan seeking sexy two-door styling as well as sizzling performance and admirable efficiency, the BMW i8 stands alone.”

The closest thing that comes to mind as a true competitor is the new Acura NSX imo.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Here's your opportunity to make fun of me on the Youtubes.

giphy.gif

Reactions: cacicgtp7

Thread Info