Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

The premise of this TV adaptation of The Boys is set, "in a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame and revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty."

The main appeal of the comic was seeing what are essentially blue-collar workers take on the power and celebrity of major public figures (in this case, superheroes), adding a sort of class warfare thematic subtext that's unique in the superhero genre. The fact that it comes from Preacher creator Garth Ennis also means that plenty of in-your-face sex, violence, and generally demented oddity is also part of the mix.

The Boys stars Karl Urban and Jack Quaid in the lead roles of "The Boys" leader Billy Butcher and new recruit Hughie Campbell (respectively). Also in the ensemble cast are Jennifer Esposito (The Affair), Elisabeth Shue (CSI), Karen Fukuhara (Suicide Squad) Anthony Starr (Banshee), Dominique McElligott (Hell On Wheels), Jesse Usher (Independence Day: Resurgence), Chance Crawford (Gossip Girl), Laz Alonso (Fast & Furious), Tomer Kapon, Nathan Mitchell, and Erin Moriarty (Jessica Jones).

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I just found it boring. It dragged the entire time and none of the characters were interesting... That part isn't exactly fair since it's the first episode and we're only just meeting characters, but I wanted to shut it off 20 minutes in. Justin was watching with me an he agreed.

Nothing about it said "you need to stick with this".

I'm seeing praise elsewhere tho so don't take my word as final.

Thread Info