Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
So Ive got five episodes down. Done for the night. While the show certainly isn't bad, I'm not sure it seeing the draw it has. Maybe it beats up on season 2? But I'm finding myself bored alot... Tho, I did laugh at the dolphin and baby scenes.

I'll have s1 done tomorrow.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
And season 2 done. I know I'm in the the 1%, but this show did nothing for me. And thats not even saying it was bad, because it wasnt. The acting was solid, the writing was fine, loved the soundtrack (though sometimes it felt out of place) and there were scenes that were genuinely fantastic. But it just didn't do anything for me. I was bored A LOT. And not because the show was on the slower side, I love a slow burn. But I just don't know why I wasn't excited to continue watching. I'll of course be back for s3, but I'm not on the edge of my seat wanting more.

Maybe part of the problem was that the show felt like it wanted to be a true dramedy, but it was actually a very dark story, with dark background, dark problems and then they would throw in gore and random comedy parts and it just didnt mesh for me. Rape, civil unrest, body image problems, daddy issues, racism, gay / lesbian, me too, etc etc....not to mention the oh so obvious jab at whats going on in the country right now....it felt at odds with itself at times. I would have preferred it either be a dark drama or be a true dramedy....it failed at trying to juggle both, for me at least. Also, the show was a tad on the predictable side, which is, whatever.

I also felt like because I was bored, I missed some of the background world building. I'm guessing the season were filled with easter eggs and call backs and foreshadowing.

Negatives aside, Urban deserves WAY more credit as an actor than he gets. He is fantastic. Becca was smoking hot with a great ass...all the actors on the show nailed their parts.....tho I found myself not really caring about any of them. Again, I cant answer why.

So all in all, it was far from a bad show but I found myself not in love with it.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I think the overtly graphic violence like heads exploding and stuff was a bit unnecessary. I liked the subtle comedy sprinkled throughout but there were times when it was misplaced. As you mentioned, there are so many dark themes in the show that it's almost like they have to frame it that way without it sounding preachy or just too depressing.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think the overtly graphic violence like heads exploding and stuff was a bit unnecessary. I liked the subtle comedy sprinkled throughout but there were times when it was misplaced. As you mentioned, there are so many dark themes in the show that it's almost like they have to frame it that way without it sounding preachy or just too depressing.
That was probably my biggest issue with the show (so far)...it had an identity crisis. The overly violent scenes came off as comical but were during serious scenes (not always). The comedy parts when they were ACTUAL comedy scenes, worked well...the cast does seem to have great chemistry. Its when those comedic scenes were injected into the serious stuff that it fell apart. And while I mentioned I loved the soundtrack, it was also used in confusing ways, usually during serious scenes, like they were trying to lighten the mood but didnt know how. It just didn't work.

Like you, I'm curious where they take season 3.

Thread Info