The Boston Robotics robot can now do gymnastics

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I just don't see any way where we can maintain 95+% employment in 20 years...think how many people work on assembly lines doing repetitive tasks that these robots could easily do.

In theory these guys can probably even replace construction workers eventually

I'm in the assembly business, and I was thinking how much they would have to price these to replace people, but then you also have to factor in you dont need to pay them hourly, you can work them as many hours as you want, 7 days a week, no vacation, no holidays, etc....

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I'm in the assembly business, and I was thinking how much they would have to price these to replace people, but then you also have to factor in you dont need to pay them hourly, you can work them as many hours as you want, 7 days a week, no vacation, no holidays, etc....
No vacation
No holidays
No injuries/deaths (this is huge)
No sick time
No FMLA
No employee turnover
No training
No pension or 401k match

It will not take much at ALL for these guys to replace unskilled labor from a cost perspective. I've always maintained that unskilled labor should not be considered a lifelong career, but unions disagree

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
No vacation
No holidays
No sick time
No FMLA
No employee turnover
No training
No pension or 401k match

It will not take much at ALL for these guys to replace unskilled labor from a cost perspective. I've always maintained that unskilled labor should not be considered a lifelong career, but unions disagree

No worry about lawsuits, sexual discrimination, all kinds of perks....

I would think at my place I would still need to be here to figure out what jobs are needed when, and quoting the work and all that, but some of the people who are just strictly assembly could be replaced pretty easily I would assume.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
No vacation
No holidays
No sick time
No FMLA
No employee turnover
No training
No pension or 401k match

No worry about lawsuits, sexual discrimination, all kinds of perks....

I would think at my place I would still need to be here to figure out what jobs are needed when, and quoting the work and all that, but some of the people who are just strictly assembly could be replaced pretty easily I would assume.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i love that a bunch of us believe this shit could replace unskilled labor...

but bring up AI stealing skilled labor jobs...

tenor.gif

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN

tenor.gif
That'll probably happen, but I think it's a very very long way off for a couple reasons. One, companies don't generally adopt new technology quickly. Two, I think it'll take longer than one would expect because there will be a lot of governmental/economic ramifications from the replacement of unskilled labor, which will delay further advancement of AI

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010

tenor.gif
We are a long way away from that kind of AI. All the AI we have now is still algorithm based. We're a lot closer to autonomous robots taking unskilled labor jobs. Especially in health care.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I just don't see any way where we can maintain 95+% employment in 20 years...think how many people work on assembly lines doing repetitive tasks that these robots could easily do.

In theory these guys can probably even replace construction workers eventually

go look at youtube videos of stuff like abb flexpicker robots, that shit is old as fuck now but still cool to see. it's super old now really.

That'll probably happen, but I think it's a very very long way off for a couple reasons. One, companies don't generally adopt new technology quickly. Two, I think it'll take longer than one would expect because there will be a lot of governmental/economic ramifications from the replacement of unskilled labor, which will delay further advancement of AI

someone monitors a corporate email box and routes emails to departments - super easy to replace with machine learning and robotic process automation (ML + RPA)

what about 40 people who process claims forms coming in via paper and pdf and pictures and apps etc and put it into the 5 year old operations claims reporting system? also easily replaceable largely by RPA even without a ton of intelligence. slap some ML on top based on historic data and you also have a 'brain' evaluating what it is looking at and giving it a fraud score. fire 35 people, keep 5 on, everything with a fraud score over 80% have them review.

We are a long way away from that kind of AI. All the AI we have now is still algorithm based. We're a lot closer to autonomous robots taking unskilled labor jobs. Especially in health care.

health is quite regulated and an area where there will probably be more augmentation, but like above still means you need less people. saw an article recently on how a lot of health care learnings are not usable/reproducible, specifically for that industry, apparently a lot of the research was not very well documented or something?? in any case, probably need 3 guys where you needed 5 before. or can replace a 200k-500k a year anesthesiologist with a machine.

it's all going to be 'algorithm based' but you may be making a distinction between something like movie level 'thinking' and how things work in the most common current usages of the space, which is more around the machine figuring out a best choice or best guess, usually based off historic data.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info